Clark Street Station rudeness — Brooklynian

Clark Street Station rudeness

I understand the the MTA has a monopoly on mass transit, but rude and inconsiderate workers are not acceptable.
I had just gotten on the 3 train and noticed my wallet was missing. I got off at Wall street and took the next subway back. When I reached the Clark Street token booth I asked the Person working (Badge# 97384) If I could get back in because I needed to get my wallet from home. She was giving me attitude as soon as I stepped up to the booth, Like I was disturbing her. She told me to swipe my card and I did. She said that it was too long ( I assume time wise). I have no idea what I'm expected to do, I don't control the speed or distance the trains travel. It wasn't like I could tell the engineer to turn the train around. Anyway, she said she would give me 5 minutes to get my wallet. I live 4 blocks away and 5 floors
up. I ran there and back, but when I got back she shook her head NO!! and yelled at me that "I took too long". I think she said it took me 6 minutes. I showed her my Drivers License to prove my address but all she did was BARK "SWIPE IT!!!!" very rudely and Yelled at me "TWO DOLLARS". If she had just said no from the beginning, I wouldn't have been upset, but she made me run 8 blocks for no reason.

Comments

• Subject: JimmyJustice

Sounds like a job for Jimmy Justice!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/JimmyJustice4753
  • My advice would be to not forget your wallet next time.

Seriously. While the MTA offical certainly shouldn't have been rude, they also don't have to give you anything because you forgot your wallet.

Come to think of it, maybe keep your metrocard in your wallet...
  • As the MTA is heavily unionized, these workers know that they can treat riders with rudeness and still have a job for life. In my experience, the best approach to dealing with these people is to eliminate them from the process. Buy your cards from a machine and spend the extra few bucks to get an unlimited card - in this case, you wouldn't have had to even speak with her had you had an unlimited. I'm glad to see that the # of token booth clerks has shrunk with time (and through attrition), but I'll truly be happy once the system is automated and the specter of the coarse, unpolished token-booth clerk will be a thing of the past.
  • Most people would suck it up and pay the fare the second time through and chalk it up to "stupidity tax" on him/herself.Why would you even think it was an acceptable thing to be able to exit the station and reenter for free a few minutes later just because you forgot your wallet? Why not try to pull the same scam when running a quick errand? I mean, you're going to just pop in and out, why not ask to get back in for free? The clerk needn't have been rude, only clear that she never had any intention of letting you back in for free. She was probably fucking with you out of boredom (or spite).
  • Subject: I agree. PLEASE READ THE LAST SENTENCE!!!!

I understand how the system works. I have been riding the MTA for over 30 years. This was the first time that I ever asked anything like this of anyone in the system. I thought that I was within my rights to ask. The Booth clerk said OK!! I was not demanding anything from anyone!! I've lived in NYC all of my life and have had to deal with bad attitudes like everyone else here. I do not believe that this woman was acting like a professional when she LIED and didn't let me back through. 2 dollars is not the point. I "sucked it up and" paid. I'm the loser this time. I will be more careful in the future. If this clerk let me through I would have sent praise to the MTA about the situation.
  • Seriously, this is just plan BS. I know these folks get handed lots of lines but she could have been a little nicer and a lot more flexible. what a cold beatch. look how easy it would have been to just say no problem..everyone would have had a much nicer day.
    i'm not being all pollyannaish but what's so hard about doing something nice for someone?
    I had something similar: i got on the wrong exit in Bay Ridge and ended up going over the VBridge. when i got to the toll booth, I told the woman I made a mistake and really just needed to turn around (i didn't want to pay the toll which is 10 bucks) and i was just going to get off the first exit and tuen around to go back to brooklyn. she looked at me and said: "do you know how many times i hear that?" pay the toll. said it was the truth and she could observe my departure. she said pay the toll. i so didn't want a fight so i paid 10 freagin' dollars to turn around at the next exit and head back to brooklyn.
    why is it so hard to believe others? in both these cases it wouldn't have been the end of the world if they were alittle more accommodating.
    and people wonder why i hate the city so much...
  • Seriously, this is just plan BS. I know these folks get handed lots of lines but she could have been a little nicer and a lot more flexible. what a cold beatch. look how easy it would have been to just say no problem..everyone would have had a much nicer day.
    i'm not being all pollyannaish but what's so hard about doing something nice for someone?
    I had something similar: i got on the wrong exit in Bay Ridge and ended up going over the VBridge. when i got to the toll booth, I told the woman I made a mistake and really just needed to turn around (i didn't want to pay the toll which is 10 bucks) and i was just going to get off the first exit and tuen around to go back to brooklyn. she looked at me and said: "do you know how many times i hear that?" pay the toll. said it was the truth and she could observe my departure. she said pay the toll. i so didn't want a fight so i paid 10 freagin' dollars to turn around at the next exit and head back to brooklyn.
    why is it so hard to believe others? in both these cases it wouldn't have been the end of the world if they were alittle more accommodating.
    and people wonder why i hate the city so much...
  • I swear this is the whiniest forum in the world. <smh>
  • I don't see this as whiney. I think people have gotten away from the basics. sorry to hear this just me and subway rider. this isn't about paying the $2 bucks, it's about decency and there doesn't seem to be a lot of that anymore.
  • i agree. why is this whining?
  • There is a complaint line specifically for this kind of thing. It is posted on all the booths, so you can get it there. Good thing you have the badge #, but aside from her being pretty crabby about the whole thing I'm not sure she committed any actionable offense. Eh, maybe.

I was actually threatened by a booth worker once, he threatened to come out and "bust [my] face!" (I was asking about train service in a station late at night). I invited him to do so but of course he did not. You better believe I called the complaint line after that.
  • when does it becomes somebody else's responsibility for your mistakes? when she said 5 minutes you could have been like thats not long enough and just taken your time. Instead your complaining about a woman that sits in a plexy glass box all day and listens to people say things like, "really, honest, i just left my wallet at home. can i get back in?"

Maybe a good morning how are you or a nod hello, may help your situation in the future.
  • I just experienced incredibly rude behavior at the Clark St station on Saturday... At 2 pm, a very old man perhaps in his nineties, was trying figure out the signage expaining how to get into Manhattan since the 2-3 line was not in service. He was attempting to speak with a female booth operator who was so rude to him I couldnt believe my eyes. She barked some orders at him in some version of english that I am unfamiliar with.. and he was obviously not understanding what she said. She then barked once again that he should "read the sign" .... she could have simply told him to go to Nevins 1 stop and pick up a Manhattan bound train as was stated on the sign.. Luckily, there were others around and we told him what to do.. It was obvious that he was very old and could not figure out the sign. That woman should be fired for sure. Matter of fact the station manager should be fired for tolerating this beast of a person.

I have experienced rudeness before at this station, but this was just plain cruel.
This discussion has been closed.