Fifth Avenue Pizzeria...Closed??? NOOOOO!! — Brooklynian

Fifth Avenue Pizzeria...Closed??? NOOOOO!!

edited 5:44AM in Park Slope
I was devastated when today, in the sweltering weather I thought without any hesitation "I need an icey!" And turned in the direction of the Fifth Avenue Pizzeria (Union and 5th) and to my HORROR I saw a "For Rent" sign!!

ZOMG!

I LOVE that place, it had a special place in my heart. I remember being really really young and my family and neighbors going there to have a few slices or beat the summer heat with some iceys. It was one of the last "true" 5th avenue businesses, before the wave of hipsters and trust fund babies and Brooklyn Industries clad yuppies swarmed the neighborhood.

I suppose now the "7th avenue-ization" of 5th Avenue is complete, one of the last bastions of the old neighborhood has been struck down.

I guess in a few weeks there will be another ostentatious look-alike frou frou bar with tables on the sidewalk serving the new gentry that has homogenized and gentrified the avenue.

Sad day...truly.

Comments

• Beat me to it, OTB! I was just looking for that thread!
  • It closed in March!?!? It is not enough to love a place and wish it to stay around out of nostalgia. A place of business has to serve its community and for good or bad (probably bad in NativeSloper's opinon) the community has changed since this placed was at its peak.
  • A place of business has to know how to run a business as well. I have no idea why 5th Ave Pizza closed, I liked their slices, however the owner could have retired, or couldn't keep up with costs, or like the inference of the posts say he was chased out by a new lease. Nobody ever tells, ya know?

This is why I also say if you open up a business and you can buy the property at the same time do it. Especially if it's in a not so desirable neighborhood.
  • I said it in March and I'll say it again: their pizza sucked.
  • Subject: Re: Fifth Avenue Pizzeria...Closed??? NOOOOO!!

NativeSloper wrote: It was one of the last "true" 5th avenue businesses, before the wave of hipsters and trust fund babies and Brooklyn Industries clad yuppies swarmed the neighborhood.

I suppose now the "7th avenue-ization" of 5th Avenue is complete, one of the last bastions of the old neighborhood has been struck down.

I guess in a few weeks there will be another ostentatious look-alike frou frou bar with tables on the sidewalk serving the new gentry that has homogenized and gentrified the avenue.
    On behalf of all homogenized newcomer gentrifiers (have lived in the Slope for a mere 15 years), let me apologize for not having kept your fondly-remembered pizza place in business for you, although you had not been there for at least three months before dropping by to get an ice. Clearly people like us are ruining the neighborhood.
  • You people could live here for a "mere" 15 years or 150 years (then again, 150 yrs ago there was no TV or print media to instruct you transplants how to live), it wouldn't matter either way since you're all too pretentious and two-dimensional to be able to create a real community of your own, on your own.

That's why you all act as some sort of parasitic, transient force, moving to wherever there is culture and life, piggybacking it, and just sucking it all away until nothing is left but a shell where you can sit at sidewalk tables at marvel at how 'urbane' you all are. The suburbs were your paradigm, and now you've managed to create the same thing here in Park Slope and most of the rest of NYC. Congratulations, really something to be proud of.
  • You people could live here for a "mere" 15 years or 150 years (then again, 150 yrs ago there was no TV or print media to instruct you transplants how to live), it wouldn't matter either way since you're all too pretentious and two-dimensional to be able to create a real community of your own, on your own.

That's why you all act as some sort of parasitic, transient force, moving to wherever there is culture and life, piggybacking it, and just sucking it all away until nothing is left but a shell where you can sit at sidewalk tables at marvel at how 'urbane' you all are. The suburbs were your paradigm, and now you've managed to create the same thing here in Park Slope and most of the rest of NYC. Congratulations, really something to be proud of.
  • I dug their pizza. You thought it sucked.

Plus, the guys that ran it looked like real live versions of:

• I dug their pizza. You thought it sucked.

Plus, the guys that ran it looked like real live versions of:

• Obamanut wrote: You people could live here for a "mere" 15 years or 150 years (then again, 150 yrs ago there was no TV or print media to instruct you transplants how to live), it wouldn't matter either way since you're all too pretentious and two-dimensional to be able to create a real community of your own, on your own.

Um...who's pretentious? Are you for real?
  • Obamanut wrote: You people could live here for a "mere" 15 years or 150 years (then again, 150 yrs ago there was no TV or print media to instruct you transplants how to live), it wouldn't matter either way since you're all too pretentious and two-dimensional to be able to create a real community of your own, on your own.

• ...and the spirit of the post is so the opposite of the person's screen name, it's almost comical.
  • ...and the spirit of the post is so the opposite of the person's screen name, it's almost comical.
  • Roma pizza is much better.

also there are way too many pizza places. They are all competing and the cost of everything is rising. No way they can all stay in business. 5th Ave Pizza had weird hours and closed way to early. Evolve or close.

Also this place looks like every other "old" pizza place in the area. Talk about homogenization.
  • Roma pizza is much better.

also there are way too many pizza places. They are all competing and the cost of everything is rising. No way they can all stay in business. 5th Ave Pizza had weird hours and closed way to early. Evolve or close.

Also this place looks like every other "old" pizza place in the area. Talk about homogenization.
  • Santa wrote: Roma pizza is much better.

Hmm, the look alike bars and bistros seem to be coexisting quite well... :roll:
  • Santa wrote: Roma pizza is much better.

Hmm, the look alike bars and bistros seem to be coexisting quite well... :roll:
  • well concidering the turn-over rate on many of the placed in Park Slope I would have to disagree.
  • well concidering the turn-over rate on many of the placed in Park Slope I would have to disagree.
  • [quote=Carnivore]image

Ron Jeremy in a pizza discussion? Somehow i think there is a pepperoni or sausage joke here.
  • [quote=Carnivore]image

Ron Jeremy in a pizza discussion? Somehow i think there is a pepperoni or sausage joke here.
  • pastoralia wrote:

You're right, there is absolutely nothing pretentious about current Park Slope. I must have been out of my mind when I typed that. Sorry.
  • pastoralia wrote:

You're right, there is absolutely nothing pretentious about current Park Slope. I must have been out of my mind when I typed that. Sorry.
  • since the majority of gentrified NYC thinks Park Slope is very uncool I do not find much pretentiousness about it.

its hard to be openly pretentious when almost everyone thinks you're a dork.
  • since the majority of gentrified NYC thinks Park Slope is very uncool I do not find much pretentiousness about it.

its hard to be openly pretentious when almost everyone thinks you're a dork.
  • I'm just glad that Obamanut is here to set us all straight. He is, after all, the only thing real going on here. Thanks Obamanut!!
  • I'm just glad that Obamanut is here to set us all straight. He is, after all, the only thing real going on here. Thanks Obamanut!!
  • Yes...please forget the individual and group more people into your preconceived stereotypes Obamanut. Next, let us know how you feel about all of these "ethnics" I keep hearing about.
  • Yes...please forget the individual and group more people into your preconceived stereotypes Obamanut. Next, let us know how you feel about all of these "ethnics" I keep hearing about.
  • Ok, next time I will be sure to personally consult with every Park Slope resident before making further observations to avoid any more 'inaccuracies.'

And yes "Jamzer," although it is easy to forget that there still exists some real folks in the neighborhood, you can rest assured that there are indeed a few of us stragglers still holding on.
  • Ok, next time I will be sure to personally consult with every Park Slope resident before making further observations to avoid any more 'inaccuracies.'

And yes "Jamzer," although it is easy to forget that there still exists some real folks in the neighborhood, you can rest assured that there are indeed a few of us stragglers still holding on.
  • J0518 wrote: ...and the spirit of the post is so the opposite of twonhe person's screen name, it's almost comical.
    Of course, if Obama moved into the Slope, it would surely be a(nother) sign of gentrification. Ironic, no?
  • J0518 wrote: ...and the spirit of the post is so the opposite of twonhe person's screen name, it's almost comical.
    Of course, if Obama moved into the Slope, it would surely be a(nother) sign of gentrification. Ironic, no?
  • "Obamanut" wrote: Ok, next time I will be sure to personally consult with every Park Slope resident before making further observations to avoid any more 'inaccuracies.'
    That's alright Obamanut...just keep going with your generalizations. They seem to be working well in reinforcing your narrow opinions about people you don't know or care to find out about.
  • "Obamanut" wrote: Ok, next time I will be sure to personally consult with every Park Slope resident before making further observations to avoid any more 'inaccuracies.'
    That's alright Obamanut...just keep going with your generalizations. They seem to be working well in reinforcing your narrow opinions about people you don't know or care to find out about.
This discussion has been closed.