THIS IS BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!! (HIV Cure) — Brooklynian

THIS IS BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!! (HIV Cure)

Comments

• But (unfortunately) essentially medically unproven, as of now.
  • and not a practical "cure" for the hiv-infected. according to the nytimes article, it requires a full bone marrow transplant, which kills 10-30% of those receiving it. even robert gallo said that he'd rather take the antiretroviral medications that try out the transplant.

still, hope for the future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/health/14hiv.html?hp
  • Given the actual facts behind the case in question, the subj of this post is misleading.
  • er, no shit. part of my MODLY (heh) reasoning behind moving it to the b.s. side. it sounds more like a treatment.

then again, in law school, I did interview a guy who swore and showed me his tests to 'prove it' that he cured his AIDS by eating lots of bitter melon.
  • Wasn't this already performed on identical twins with reasonable success in the late 80s / early 90s?

Isn't it rich?
    Are we a pair?
    I thought that you'd want what I want.
    Sorry, my dear.
    Where are the clones?
    Send in the clones.
  • You guys are missing the point! This is the first time ever that a patient has been cured of AIDS. Irregardless of how dangerous or un-practical the treatment was!!

I am a health care worker and this news has stirred some serious excitement at the hospital I work in.

......thought you guys would be interested.
  • flux wrote: You guys are missing the point! This is the first time ever that a patient has been cured of AIDS.
    No it's not! Remains to be seen whether it's a cure, and anyhow it's been done before.

I was remembering correctly about this being from the 80s. Here's the NYT article from June 1986:
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9A0DEFDC103FF936A15755C0A960948260
  • doctorj wrote: [quote=flux]You guys are missing the point! This is the first time ever that a patient has been cured of AIDS.
    No it's not! Remains to be seen whether it's a cure, and anyhow it's been done before.

I was remembering correctly about this being from the 80s. Here's the NYT article from June 1986:
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9A0DEFDC103FF936A15755C0A960948260

agreed. I'm no doctor, but I took a lot of health law classes.
  • doctorj - how would you define a cure?

The patient has had a zero viral load for 20 months! extensive tissue testing has come up negative for the virus as well. Since the operation, no HIV meds were taken by this patient.

The article you cited succeeded in HALTING the progression of the disease, it did not provide a cure! The word cure is no where to be found in that article. Your patient will eventually develop full blown AIDS if he does not take his HAART meds. The patient recieving the bone marrow transplant in your article did not get bone marrow from a patient who had the 2 gene mutations needed to suppress the virus (1 out of 1000 europeans have the mutation).

alafairnadia - what does your health law class have to do with clinical analysis? Unless you can obtain the original study (not the article from NY times), you can't come to any conclusion
  • Something that involves, at minimum, a 10-30% death rate (according to the NYTs article) is not a 'cure'.

This is certainly very interesting and news worthy, however I would not trumpet 'CURE!' when talking about it.
  • Well I wouldn't toss out my condoms just yet. Too many times the main stream press has boasted about miracles and great events have been touted by the mainstream press test only to be proven as jumping the gun or totally false. I would wait. However, if it is true and someone else's marrow suppressed or totally eliminated the AIDS/HIV virus (?) then my guess (playing armchair doctor) is some part of the marrow's blood or serum or whatever by-product will be isolated and we will indeed have a cure.
  • Im not saying its a cure. I am saying that a man was cured!
    I would definitly not recommend such a procedure to any HIV patient...no matter what stage of the disease he/she was in.

This is the first time a man was CURED !!!!! NEVER (REGARDLESS OF THE TREATMENT) HAS ANYONE BEEN CURED OF HIV.
  • Flux, I don't think anyone is saying that it isn't cause for more research. I think people just don't think that it is as worthy of the DEGREE of excitement that you're showing. Yes, a guy was cured of HIV, but we're talking about just ONE guy. There is no way of knowing- since it is just ONE guy, whether this was a fluke, whether it was the specific cure involved or something else the guy did, or even whether the lab reports got messed up and maybe he wasn't cured after all. When we get MORE than one guy who was cured, THEN we can start getting excited, but with just ONE guy, it is still much, much too soon to tell whether there really is any "there" there.

• My understanding is that this technique has previously been successful twice in 32 attempts since the 80s. That would make this the third time, and the trick here is that they picked someone not only compatible but also with the rare homozygous CCR5-delta32 mutant as the donor, which is kind of neat. Next time I have HIV as well as urgently needing a bone marrow transplant, I'll be sure to ask for it, but I can't imagine how you'd scale this up to help people in Africa...

By the way, there has also been the very occasional well-documented case where someone has managed to clear the virus on their own and tested negative long-term, which you could also say constitutes a cure.
This discussion has been closed.