windsor terrace history - Brooklynian

windsor terrace history

My name is Tina. I lived in windsor terrace from 1964 to 1974, at 519 vanderbilt street. At the time we lived there the lot behind our row of houses was empty, except for overgrowth of weeds and bushes. We often played back there. I have heard there are condos there now. Across the street on the corner of prospect avenue was the american leagion post 1175, my father was a member so my brother and I got to play in that building almost daily. Many years before that it was a movie theater. I know the american legion is gone but is the building still there? What is it today? I am looking for any info or pictures of the old neighborhood or how it looks today, our old house, the block, the old american legion building, anything, or anyone who used to live there at that time. The school we went to was Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM) on Fort Hamilton and we also went to IHM church. I would love pictures of the church. I found pictures of the school on their website. I remember when it snowed we would walk to prospect park and sleigh ride or vanderbilt street turned into 18th street which was a big hill that we also rode our sleighs down. I have great memories of living there. I have not been back to brooklyn since 1974 but will be planning my first trip back soon, and I'll post here to find the nearest and nicest hotels to stay at. Once you lived in brooklyn, you take it with you wherever you go.

Comments

• Subject: legion hall

Tina, image
    Someone bought the legion hall on Prospect Ave and seems to have torn down the upper level in the middle of the night. I guess they didn't have the right plans or permits, and they had to stop the action and leave it unfinished.
    cimage
  • It is now a condominium. I knew it in the 50's when it was The Venus movie theater.

The building had no basement and as I recall the movie theater had no balcony.

There was a Matron that would watch the kids during Saturday matinees.

This discussion has been closed.