Jury Duty — Brooklynian

Jury Duty

Hi, I was wondering whether the court building on 360 adams street has computers to use in the jury assembly room while we wait because i need to get tickets for an event by noon or else they're gone. God, jury duty blows and i already postponed once and i have no excuse.

Comments

• I think they have wi-fi so you can bring your laptop. If you have a laptop, that is.
  • I think they have wi-fi so you can bring your laptop. If you have a laptop, that is.
  • What she said...
  • What she said...
  • Subject: computers in jury room

Last time I was there they had two internet connected pc's in rear of room that you could use for a short time.
  • Subject: computers in jury room

Last time I was there they had two internet connected pc's in rear of room that you could use for a short time.
  • LOTS of computers - the whole back wall of the main room has terminals, and a lounger area also has several. Lots of upgrades for jurors; they are trying to make it a more pleasant experience.
  • Yep. I was just there yesterday. There's about 5 of them in the lounge area and the back wall of the central has a few of them. I think they time out after 10-30 minutes or something like that.
  • Had Jury Duty today. Last time (6-8 years ago) was a very different experience. I found that the people in charge (the major speakers) were very helpful.( The video of "OLD JUSTICE" was terrible and I wish we went back to that system at various times during the day). I got in at 8:15 (because I'm always early) and parked myself next to an outlet so I was able to plug my laptop in. (The WIFI is restricted. No game playing!!!) The Bench MC was funny (I especially liked when he asked "anyone that doesn't understand English" to see him.... When he saw people approaching the bench, he clarified himself by saying "If you understood what I just said.....)

Four Random people start calling out names and area's for the 300+ people to go. OK!!!
    We have:
    1. MUMBLES: The guy we cannot understand
    2. BROOKLYN BLACK GIRL: Terrible Brooklyn accent and Grammar
    3. TALKS TOO LOUD INTO THE MIC GUY: He distort, because he talks too loud into the mic
    4. THE COP ON THE MIC IN FRONT: .. He was actually really good. (maybe the "room 261 announcement" need's to be dropped (WE WERE IN ROOM 261))

NEXT AREA:
    We file into a 16X16 room with 20 chairs. I sat and I immediately notice that my "rolling adjustable" desk chair is attached to the "rolling adjustable" desk chair next to me making me a"rolling non-adjustable"team. (I guess they do this to break us down for the jury selection portion of the experience) They let us stew for 20 minutes and then the "funny guy" from the bench came in. Took roll and told us to go to lunch. Be back at 2!!!!!

Back from lunch:
    I'm early(I gotta work at being late from now on). At 3:45 (yes that means we were sitting for 1:45) A clerk tells us the case settled (Great!!!) now go back to the pit and sit and wait for further instruction (In reality it wasn't that harsh but after waiting ALMOST 2 HOURS for someone to tell us what's going on (and being strapped next to a person you don't know) I felt that she said that.)

Back in the pit:
    A very nice and diplomatic woman announces that most of us are done. For 8 years we will not have to worry about Jury Duty in Brooklyn.

--Fin--
  • My bf went Tuesday for jury selection. It's a total nightmare, imo.

Early Tuesday he gets called with 20 folks. Over the course of the day they choose 2 jurors from the bunch. They only started questioning 6. Everyone (included 2 chosen jurors) must return the next day, Wednesday when they continue with that 6. Weds my bf is chosen and sworn in but told he can't leave. It turns out they plan to start the trial as soon as they get a jury, so they all have to show up every day until then for an expected week long trial.

In two days they have selected 3 jurors, and they need 12!! This seems ridiculous to me. Questioning only a few folks over 2 days, and this with multiple long (1.5 hour) breaks. What a waste of time. My bf has a full-time job where he actually spends his entire day working (his lunch is brought to his desk so he doesn't have to leave) that he is missing for this highly inefficient process.

And the questioning is very different from when I went in. My group got asked lots of "why might you be biased questions" but that's about it. His group is getting all sorts of personal stuff (who do you live with? gf, what does your gf do, what is her field in grad school, what classes is she taking, do you own or rent, etc...).

And they told them the names of some of the people in the case with lots of detail and then told them not to google it. Ha! Plus it's a case about something from 1996 and when my bf asked why it's just now going to trial he said they vague stuff like "eh, the system is slow. You see how things work around here." My bf is pretty sure (based on the type of trial it is and other info) that it's just going through different types of trials (criminal, civil) trying to find one where the plaintiff can get some $$ based on the amount of evidence.

I thought it was all kind of efficient after my day, but his stories have me more disappointed.
  • Your BF needs to be schooled on how to get out of jury duty.

Usually saying stuff like, "I hate cops" or "The whole system is a scam including the judges" will do it.
  • Yeah, he just thought having a good vocabulary would work. He's terrible at lying and apparently asked questions that (I think) would mark him as a good juror. He told me all of their discussions and I pointed out so many chances he could have said something "bad". Like when they asked, do you think you would be biased, he said "no"! Fail.

Oh and other fail, I just searched jury duty and went with the first thread about it and ended up in this nabe's board :) Just bewildered by his experience.

He said the other two jurors so far are a PhD guy and a nurse, both well spoken. Totally different from when I was there.
  • When they asked about you, he should have said "Girlfriend? Ooooh, you mean mah beer bitch! Yeah, she works. Works at tryin' not to get beaten for mouthing off to me."
  • Anastasia Beaverhausen wrote: When they asked about you, he should have said "Girlfriend? Ooooh, you mean mah beer bitch! Yeah, she works. Works at tryin' not to get beaten for mouthing off to me."

Hahahaha...if only. He's really good at answering questions in a clear, unemotional way, but terrible at considering how other people might be interpreting what he said. He'd make a great juror based on his ability to just consider the facts.

Day three, 5 jurors picked, 7 to go! He did use the long lunch break to go drink, so not a total waste :)
This discussion has been closed.