Alright I need an oyster bar — Brooklynian

Alright I need an oyster bar

edited 2:28AM in Brooklyn Eats
I'm from NC and spent my formative years shucking oysters on the beach in firepits and my poor manwhore has never even had an oyster (being from upstate) I know there's some oyster bar in grand central (?) and there's black pearl in the city (which I've been to and has not been awesome)...

Where can I get some great, REASONABLE raw oysters? Back home they were like 10 cents and I don't expect that, but I've paid $3-$4 a pop here and had them be gritty and really watery and non-meaty...

Comments

• Track's inside Penn Station near the LIRR ticket booth/IRT/McDonald's entrance. They have the best quality. Shaffer's in Chelsea will probably be cheaper during their happy hour (except Fridays) but the quality isn't as good.
  • You're asking for reasonable, but don't cut corners on your boy's first oyster or he'll never have a second. Take him to Aquagrill (Spring and 6th), sit at the bar, order martinis and a dozen. Both you and he will thank me.
  • Here's where the oyster wars come in. Aquagrill has a gorgeous interior and great service but their oysters as well as the rest of their menu is just bland. I will admit that Track's doesn't have the greatest of atmosphere but their oysters are second to none. The only time I've had equal or better was in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.
  • aquagrill is pretty pricey, but the oysters are amazingly fresh and the decor makes it feel special, even at the bar (i'm with voodoonyc - sit at the bar for for oysters and a cocktail). balthazar and blue riboon also have nice oysters, but for the same $, i'd choose aquagrill. for a totally different - but no less lovely - atmosphere, try marlow and sons. i've never been to track's, so can't weigh in on that... but can't wait to try it. what about grand central?
  • Yeah, I've had this debate too many times - to each his own but I stand by my Aquagrill rec. Also agree with Balthazar, a little less on Blue Ribbon. Frankly Carmen should try Aguagrill, Tracks and Shaffers and make up her own mind. Those are all great choices....
  • I haven't been there but there is also Fish Camp (is that the name?) on 5th.
  • Brooklyn Fish Camp, yeah. I haven't been there either....
  • I'm no fan of aquagrill. oysters? for a first timer/skeeved n00b check out any of the craft family. expensive, yes. but they usually have great bubbly on their list and their oysters are from both the east and west coast, so you can get a variety. he can figure out which he likes better. trust me, seriously, a recent convert to oysters (as in only for the last few years).
  • To be blunt Grand Central sucks. You're paying through the nose to get warm, bland oysters and even blander food, especially the famous stews. However, their historic interior is very pretty. Brooklyn Fish Camp, except for their lobster knuckles is pretty bad.
  • Its weird to me that oysters are such a "froofy" type thing- like I said, growing up on the beach it was def. not a high-class or expensive kind of food. Obviously when it comes to saw seafood it's not worth skimping if the quality is there, but I also don't want to be ripped off. I'm going to yelp all the suggestions on here and pick a place :)
  • Carmen - I'm pretty sure Shaffer City has half price oysters on Tues. - Thurs., making them $1.50 each - not bad.
  • Blue Ribbon's good for fresh seasfood/rawbar, and Sidecar usually has a couple of different kinds...
  • I like the Essex in the Essex Market on the LES. On Mondays and Thursdays they have $1.00 or $1.25 oysters during happy hour. (At least they used to...best to double-check).
  • Back in the old days, me and the pals used to play paddle ball. After a good work out we liked nothing better than going to Joe's or Randazzo's Clam House for a few steamed & baked clams for a tasty dinner. Both establishments were on Emmons Avenue in Sheepshead Bay.

Does anyone know if these two places are still in operation?
  • or ... you could go all out. right now it's oyster festival season in france. take your knife, pack some bags, buy some cheap champagne at a local shop and head to the piers. there's a specific city that has a huge festival, but for the most part, you can find vendors on the piers whose boats pull up hourly dumping off fresh oysters. hope you know french or spanish, though. otherwise, you might be jacked on the communication side.
  • and it's around .50 euro a pop. much cheaper than NYC.
  • I was just at Shaffer City last friday. It was really good.
  • alafairnadia wrote: and it's around .50 euro a pop. much cheaper than NYC.
    Except for that whole $600 airfare thing...and the hotels and what not...
  • Anyone been to Jolie's on Wednesdays? Are the oysters good? Is the place too packed for conversation?
  • Fresh Direct has a nice selection of fresh raw oysters for $1.49 a piece. You have to shuck them yourself, but if you're on a budget, it's a good option. And mignonette sauce is easy to make.
  • Carnivore wrote: Fresh Direct has a nice selection of fresh raw oysters for $1.49 a piece. You have to shuck them yourself, but if you're on a budget, it's a good option. And mignonette sauce is easy to make.
    Huh. I did not know this. I get the shrimp, which is really good quality, but never noticed the oysters before. Thanks Carn! Shucking's a bitch, though.
  • We went to Fish Camp this week -- menu has improved, and it's a little cheaper than it was. AND they have specials!
    One night (Mon or Tues, I forget) is $1 raw oysters.
    They have an expanded sandwich selection, and their cod sandwich has always been my favorite thing on the menu. I had an oyster po boy that was delicious, and girlfriend had a sardine sandwich that was intense (also delicious) served with a big salad on the side instead of fries. That place is making accommodations for the recession. Weds is 2-for-1 drinks at the bar, before 8pm.

I've also had raw oysters of good to great quality at Sheep Station. They only have one or two kinds, but sometimes they have been perfection. $11 for half dozen, if I remember right.

I haven't been for a few years, but sitting where they schuck at Grand Central is pretty great. Great variety, I've had very good oysters there.

And since you spent formative years shucking, get yer own fresh and local at Blue Moon, Saturday GAP Greenmarket. They're back in late March I think.
  • I've shucked me some Blue Moon oysters and I must say they're pretty good.
  • Blue Moon oysters are great.
  • besus wrote: [quote=alafairnadia]and it's around .50 euro a pop. much cheaper than NYC.
    Except for that whole $600 airfare thing...and the hotels and what not...

tedious details.
  • pitu wrote: I've also had raw oysters of good to great quality at Sheep Station. They only have one or two kinds, but sometimes they have been perfection. $11 for half dozen, if I remember right.
    huh. I thought it was for a dozen? maybe I'm a fool. but ... the oysters at SS were one of my favorite pre-cattyshack-charity-poker-tourney meals. with a side of mashed potatoes, a few glasses of wine .... I was guaranteed a win or a total trainwreck of a night.
  • Fish, on Bleecker in the city has a great oyster special. 6 Blue Points and a beer or glass of wine for $8.
  • blenderfish wrote: Fish, on Bleecker in the city has a great oyster special. 6 Blue Points and a beer or glass of wine for $8.
    not bad. not as good as pappa's deal in houston when the season is ending, but still good.

best oysters ever, btw, are at pappadeux -- wrapped in shaved ribeye and broiled for 30 seconds. sweet jesus.
  • blenderfish wrote: Fish, on Bleecker in the city has a great oyster special. 6 Blue Points and a beer or glass of wine for $8.
    That sounds like a great deal!
  • I walked by Fish Camp and saw they have a $1 oyster happy hour. Plus 2 for 1 drinks. PLUS all you can eat shrimp for $16! There was also a 1/2 lobster special. Woot woot!
  • Mamacita wrote: I walked by Fish Camp and saw they have a $1 oyster happy hour. Plus 2 for 1 drinks. PLUS all you can eat shrimp for $16! There was also a 1/2 lobster special. Woot woot!

Ooo maybe we'll check that out first ONLY because we're in the neighborhood and I've sort of been wanting to give fish camp a shot since it's so close to mi casa and I'm a seafood fan (plus if he has a beer or two or five he wont notice if they're crappy oysters haha.)
  • Yes! Let me know how it goes. I think the shrimp special was Mondays? The happy hour had 2 times a day, like an early bird and a late night special? If I walk by today I'll jot it down.
  • Carmen wrote: [quote=Mamacita]I walked by Fish Camp and saw they have a $1 oyster happy hour. Plus 2 for 1 drinks. PLUS all you can eat shrimp for $16! There was also a 1/2 lobster special. Woot woot!

Ooo maybe we'll check that out first ONLY because we're in the neighborhood and I've sort of been wanting to give fish camp a shot since it's so close to mi casa and I'm a seafood fan (plus if he has a beer or two or five he wont notice if they're crappy oysters haha.)

you won't notice until you're hurling, that is.

Bad seafood = bad stomach. I've never been to Fish Camp, so I'm not saying they're gonna suck :pukel: :puker:
  • My sister loves Fish camp, she get's the lobster roll there. It''s good food, pricey but good. I've seen their oysters (from when I went to meet my sister there before going shopping) though I didn't try them they looked fresh.
  • Yeah, Fish Camp is great. It's just always been a little Expensive.
    2-4-1 beer and wine is making a dent in that...and it's one place I'd trust a $1 oyster special, since their reputation is all about super fresh seafood.
  • I say we crash Carmen's date at fish camp. :-P
  • Mamacita wrote: I say we crash Carmen's date at fish camp. :-P
    k
    :D
    did any of us get unlazy enough to find out which day which specials are?
  • Yes!
    http://www.brooklynfishcamp.com/brooklyn.html

Yum!!
    >EVERYDAY at the bar and in the restaurant from 12-3 & 5-8 one dollar oysters and all drinks two for one

+

TUESDAYS all you can eat SWEET LOUISIANA SHRIMPS
    (peel and eats) $16.oo
    WEDNESDAY 1 1/4 pound Live Maine Lobster
    (with celery root slaw) $16.00
    THURSDAY all bottles of wine 1/2 price!!!!
  • Oh shit half price bottles of wine! Noms.
  • nom nom nom

I'll fly up. just kidding, still don't have my visa. stuck in ecuador. but ...will shoot someone for fresh oysters.

I'm clearly stealing the car and heading to esmeraldas.
  • You might want to try that new place Buccasso (?) on Union between 6th & 7th. I had two dozen Blue Points on the half and I gotta tell you they're pretty good. Cold, fresh and certainly briny. I think they were $2+ a oyster. They also have good beer on tap.
  • Not Park Slope, but close enough....Cornelius on Vanderbilt and Pacific has happy hour with $1 oysters. Not exactly Blue Ribbon, but they satisfy the craving. Just watch out, cause even if the oysters are cheap, some of those drinks are massively overpriced.
  • Ok I'm revisiting this thread as I neeeeeed oysters. I'm not sure when, but damnit I'm going to try some of these places :) Thanks Brooklynian!
  • I had great oysters at Cornelius (on Vanderbilt) last night. They had deal for $1 per oyster. 3 of us shared 2 dozen.
  • Wow a whole year later BUMP!

Fish Camp has their crazy cheap special back! Carmen, want to has a double date there? The lobster seems like a good deal, too!

back by popular demand
    our STIMULUS PACKAGE ::

lunch everyday
    any sandwich and a beer
    $14.

everyday
    $1.50 oysters on the halfshell
    till 8pm
    + two for one beers or wine
    anywhere in the restaurant

Monday :: all you can eat peel
    + eat shrimp with hush puppies

$18.

Tuesday :: whole fish night
    $18.

Wednesday :: whole lobster night
    $20.

Thursday :: 1/2 price bottle of wine
  • oooo, before X hour or anywhere in the restaurant or ?
  • They don't rinse their oysters after shucking them, do they?
  • I don't think they do Idlewild.
    Pitu, there's no times listed on their website, so I'm guessing it's all day specials. I'll double check next time I walk by.

Has anyone had the whole lobster there? Does it come with sides?
  • thx mami - they'd been teh bitchy with us over the happy hour in the past....
  • Is this for Brooklyn Fish Camp or Mary's Fish Camp (or both)?
  • Carn, if you're in that nabe to you go to Mary's? I'm still in love with Pearl...
  • pitu wrote: Carn, if you're in that nabe to you go to Mary's? I'm still in love with Pearl...
    I've never actually been to Mary's, only Brooklyn. I liked Pearl though.
  • Cornelius on Vanderbilt has them.
  • roux42 wrote: Cornelius on Vanderbilt has them.
    Yes, and during happy hour, they're a buck a piece.
This discussion has been closed.