hit by car in williamsburg, witnesses? Bedford + Lorimer — Brooklynian

hit by car in williamsburg, witnesses? Bedford + Lorimer

spotted this on twitter...
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/com/1073759355.html
hit by car in williamsburg, looking for witnesses (bedford ave and lorimer st)

Date: 2009-03-13, 5:51PM EDT

Today, Friday March 13, 2009 at approx. 1:20pm I was riding with traffic on Bedford Ave, approaching the intersection of Lorimer St. I was hit by a silver Chrysler sedan (who was a car service car) turning right on to Lorimer. I was wearing a silver windbreaker, riding a black + red track bike with white rims (yes, with a front brake and yes, I was wearing a helmet).

I counted at 5 to 10 people in the area who I believe saw the accident take place. However, no one would come forward as a witness. One mustached fellow (Thank you, whoever you may be) took pictures, but I didn't get a chance to get his name before leaving in the ambulance. Sadly, he did not arrive until moments after the accident happened.

I was not too seriously injured but suffered pretty nasty bruising on my legs, arm, face, and pretty serious abrasions on my left hand.

I am baffled as to why no one came forward as a witness. I do not believe that at that intersection (Bedford and Lorimer), with multiple people around, two or three very popular restaurants (practically one per corner), not one person saw the accident take place.

If you were in the area and saw it happen, please, come forward. It's the right thing to do.

Comments

• That's bullshit that nobody will come forward as a witness. Esp with that corner being on the north end of the park. Hopefully somebody does and they can somehow find out which cab it was (a reason can companies should have to have a name, logo and car #). Hope you're ok, getting hit on your bike sucks.
  • It really doesn't seem impossible that no one saw enough to consider themselves to be a witness. For example, a couple of weeks ago on Manhattan Avenue near Freeman I saw two motorcycles coming south behind a delivery guy on a scooter. I was talking to my friend on the sidewalk. The bikes went by, and I heard a crash... one of the motorcycles had collided with the scooter (from Green Leaves, it turned out) and both hit the pavement.

But by the time the accident happened they were behind me, so I didn't see how it happened. My friend was facing that direction, but she was looking at me, so she didn't see what happened. We knew in general that they'd collided, but couldn't give any information to the cops (they asked) about exactly how or anything that would help establish fault. A few other people there said basically the same thing. They were there, but weren't looking until they heard the crash. Until that noise, it was just routine traffic on the street so no one way paying attention to it.

It's not necessarily the case that people "don't want to get involved." Could be that people really had nothing to say.

But maybe I'm just feeling too charitable about people at the moment. For some unexplainable reason.
  • bleibtreu wrote:
    But maybe I'm just feeling too charitable about people at the moment. For some unexplainable reason.
    Bleibtreu- Nothing wrong with charity. It's a good thing. Here's my read: Fake posting.
  • The driver most likely didn't see you,blind spot. If he did he would have stopped,still you should have stopped and let him finish making his right turn.

There are many reckless cyclists out there,riding on the sidewalks,against traffic,in the middle of the road,etc. Good thing you weren't seriously hurt,if you had gotten hit by a truck or a bus you wouldn't have been here to tell us about it.
  • If the car was going north on Bedford and made a right on Lorimer he absolutely saw the cyclist. And the cyclist should have let the driver make the turn? the car was coming from behind him, cyclist was already in the intersection. and traffic continuing straight through an intersection does not have to yield to a turning vehicle. for every reckless cyclist there's two or three reckless drivers, that little jab inserted there to imply this was a reckless cyclist was not necessary.
  • manic_depressive wrote: The driver most likely didn't see you,blind spot. If he did he would have stopped,still you should have stopped and let him finish making his right turn.
    lol
  • Boygabriel wrote: [quote=manic_depressive]The driver most likely didn't see you,blind spot. If he did he would have stopped,still you should have stopped and let him finish making his right turn.
    lol
    biting my tongue on that one was really tough...
  • manic_depressive wrote: The driver most likely didn't see you,blind spot. If he did he would have stopped,still you should have stopped and let him finish making his right turn.

There are many reckless cyclists out there,riding on the sidewalks,against traffic,in the middle of the road,etc. Good thing you weren't seriously hurt,if you had gotten hit by a truck or a bus you wouldn't have been here to tell us about it.

This is my first post on these forums but I really have to put my 2c. I ride my bike everywhere in the city, and I ride it everyday, probably averaging around 20-25 miles a week, at least. I agree that there are reckless cyclists, but this post immediately sounds like you are blaming the cyclist for the accident.

Riding in the middle of the road is completely legal, and should be respected by all drivers. Bicycles abide by the same rules as cars, and should be treated like you treat someone on a motorcycle. Cyclists to at times ride on the sidewalks, but it's a very low percentage since it's much more difficult and it's illegal - plus it's usually delivery people, and this guy was riding what seems to be a decently nice track bike. Also, drivers should look behind them when turning. The cyclist had the right of way.

My take on his situation is that it's probably the same thing that's happened to me dozens of times: A crappy car service driver isn't paying attention to, or doesn't care about, cyclists, pedestrians, or anything else except driving from point A to point B. He's talking on his phone or the radio, listening to 87.7, and haggling with his passenger, and he nails a biker and drives away. Thankfully, I've never had anything as serious happen to me as happened to this poor guy, but I've been nailed my share.

Please respect cyclists on the road. One more cyclist is one less car!
This discussion has been closed.