Update: sweet orange cat found a home! — Brooklynian

Update: sweet orange cat found a home!

edited 5:39AM in Brooklyn Pets
August 16:
So long as the other cat in the home approves, Chad has found a new family!

July 17:
Scroll down to the bottom of the thread
for Chad's latest YouTube video!

Chadwick Needs a Home!

Chad is looking for a loving, stable home, or a foster.
Email ChadGingerCat at yahoo dot com for more information.

See pictures and video, and read details below!

Chad remembers when he was a kitten, loved and protected and fed with a silver spoon.
But when he got older he was tossed out onto the cold streets of Bed Stuy!
He didn’t do anything wrong – why did they throw him away?
He was hungry and so lonely...

Chad is a ginger-blond male cat with a friendly, curious, affectionate, brave nature.
His specialties are kneading (even when standing up), purring, and keeping watch.

Chad tries not to wear his heart on his sleeve and is not a lap-cat (yet), but he craves company.
When you pet him he can’t help but purr and purr!

Chad is looking for a kind, patient person who will take him in, teach him the rules, and shower him with love and acceptance.
In return he promises to be a loyal companion and loving friend.

Chad's voice is breaking so sometimes his meow sounds funny.

Chad's first night in a new place - and so brave!

Chad is very friendly but after being forced to brawl on the streets he's learned to nip if he feels really frustrated.
He needs just a little extra attention and socialization so he can learn how to act in polite company again.
He is nervous around dogs and may not be good with young children.
He is healthy and will be fixed and vaccinated this week.

Chad is looking for a loving, stable home, or a foster.
Email ChadGingerCat at yahoo dot com for more information.
Application, home visit, and adoption fee required.

Edited to add: Mods, please sticky.
Edited to add updated subject line.
Edited to add updated subject line again.
Edited to add updated subject line yet again.

Comments

• awwww....I love his nose. I hope he finds a good home. thanks for helping him out

<insert>
  • New video and updates below.
    Email ChadGingerCat at yahoo.com to apply to take Chadwick home!

Thank you, Flexi!
    His pink nose got a little beat-up while he was on the streets, but it's healing up nicely.
    Here is a good profile picture, featuring the nose (and kneading paws):

Chad was neutered on Thursday.
    He is FIV and FeLV negative, he has been fully vaccinated.
    He is ready to go home with someone!
    Right now he is locked in a tiny windowless bathroom 22 hours a day
    so he really is desperate for a forever-home or even a good foster-home.

Chadwick would love to go home with a kind, mature, patient person.
    We've discovered that what we thought was a nipping issue is actually just overexcitement and impatience around mealtime.
    So it is a very easy issue to work around.

Chad has become more and more affectionate and loving.
    He still likes exploring and is brave and friendly, even to strangers.
    But he is also delighted to snuggle, to have his chest and neck and cheeks scratched...
    Several times he's settled for a nap right up close to a person.
    His special talent is kneading - he'd be a great baker!

Email ChadGingerCat at yahoo.com for more information,
    with any questions, to talk about Chad, or to foster or adopt him.
  • Chadwick is still looking for a home or a foster!
    Please email ChadGingerCat at yahoo dot com.

Chad is getting sweeter and more playful every day.
    He is desperate for love and belonging.
    And such a good boy!

Here are some pictures from Monday.
    And a video too (with a catnip scene at the end).

Chad is vocal and has a funny meow that sounds like "mwooowhowow"

Chad loves to "knead" when he's happy

Mmmm - feelin' groovy with catnip!

• OMG - he's so damn cute - especially with the paw action and he's a stoner with the catnip. I love him! I wish I could take him because he seems awesome.

Good work, Violet! Fingers crossed he finds a home soon
  • Thank you, Flexichick!

He actually keeps getting cuter and cuter!
    He's well-nourished now so his fur is nice and soft.
    His teenage-boy hormones are gone so he's sweeter every day.
    Sometimes he even wants to cuddle!
    We think he didn't get to play a lot when he was a kitten (hence the sometimes-inappropriate nipping).
    Now that he's discovered play-time he loves it!

And we have found out an important bit of information: he loves 70's soft rock!
    Whenever Cat Stevens or Fleetwood Mac come on VH1 Classic he comes over and listens intently, and sometimes meows.

Unfortunately, we can still only spend an hour or two with him every day, so he's a bit lonely.
    I bet he'll be even nicer when he knows that he's got a human friend he can count on, who will hang out with him and care for him.

He’s still looking for a home - I’ll post more pictures and video soon.
    If anyone is interested in adopting or fostering Chad, please email him at ChadGingerCat at yahoo dot com.
  • Mr. Chadwick is still looking for a foster or a real home.
    He's a unique, cool cat and we hope he finds someone soon.
  • Chad is still looking for a home.
    Here is his latest video:

Chad is clean, sweet, unique, easygoing, and a really good boy.
    He needs a home!
    Please send him an email or let me know if you'd like to meet him.
  • I can't believe nobody has adopted this gorgeous boy! Thanks for continuing to take care of him Violet.......I love his videos.
  • Thank you, Flexi.

Chadwick is a sweetie. We like to say "he's a g'boooy".
    He's learned all the rules (about not nipping or biting) and is very smart.
    Yet Chad has gotten surprisingly little attention.
    So he's stuck in the basement all alone, poor guy.
    It's kind've frustrating...

A few days ago I brought my camera down to take new video.
    And Chad just sat there staring at me.
    So I tried to play with him, and I pet him. And he just stared.
    Finally he got up and moved so that there was furniture between him and the camera.
    Then last night I did NOT bring my camera down...
    And of course he was rolling all over the place,
    playing and jumping and cuddling and being adorable.
    He's got a lot of personality, but he doesn't show it all up front (or on command!).
    Hopefully we'll be able to get a new video soon.
    Or, better yet, find him a home!

We've discovered that if Chad likes a song
    (his favorites are 70s rock-ballads,
    or groovy 60s stuff like mellow Beatles or Simon & Garfunkle)
    then he LOVES it when you sing to him!
    (Even if you're not in tune!)

I really hope he gets more interest and a new home soon.
    If anyone out there is interested in meeting and hanging out with him, please PM me!
    He deserves a good stable home.
  • oh, I'm sorry he's not getting a lot of attention - he's gorgeous. I love his big nose!

have you talked to kensington kitties to see if they'll let you put him on the adoption bus on the weekends? At least people would get to see how handsome he is
  • Aw, thank you (again!) Flexichick.
    Yeah, he's got a cool big nose.
    He doesn't like to be held but a few times I've picked him up
    and held him like a baby and kissed his big nose.
    He just looks confused and annoyed.
    He's a good boy.

I blame the economy for him not getting a lot of attention.
    Or maybe my flyers are too wordy.
    Or his manners issue (he nips too hard when emotional) is a turn-off.

However, someone came and met him this weekend!
    The nice person knows how to give a goooood head-scratching.
    But they wouldn't be able to take Chad for a couple weeks.
    (So Mods - please keep this sticky, just in case.)

Most of all, we need to be sure the cat that they already have approves.
    I will post updates...
  • Subject: new video

• I love him! How could nobody fall for his gorgeous boy???? And those paws! Thanks for working so hard to find him a home, Violet and not giving up on him. What happened to the people who saw him recently?
  • Thank you so much for your kind words and support, Flexichick.
    One person who met Chad a few weeks ago... Took him in yesterday!
    So long as the person's other cat approves, it looks like Chad has a home!
    The person is really nice and caring and accepting.
    Their cat is very sweet and beautiful too, and hopefully will approve of Chad.
    We'll know for sure in the coming days whether Chad has a true forever-home.

Mods - okay to unsticky.
  • Yay! Go, Chad, Go! I hope the person who adopted him gives both cats a little time to work out their new relationship. I'm sending "behave yourself, Chad!" vibes to him so that this turns into his forever home. Please keep us posted...he's so damn cute. I want to kiss that big nose of his.
  • Yay! Violet, you rock for doing this!
  • Subject: Chad is now Cap - updates from his adoptive family!

Thank you, caseopele and Flexichick!

I've got a few updates which the new owners said I could post. And they promised pictures, too! The adoptive family is being so kind and patient, sending us updates about how things are going with the intro to their other cat, Ginsby. Here are the updates so far:

---------------------------

Monday August 17:

We've had a fairly easy weekend in the house with our new addition. I've decide to rename Chadwick to Capote (in honor of the individualistic, free-spirited writer who once lived in Brooklyn), but have been calling him Cap, or Cap Cap, which sounds a little like "Chad," and is definitely different from the sound of "Ginsby."

Cap and I have been having some nice bonding moments-- he purrs and rubs against my legs, so I think he's getting used to me. He's eating well (though I'm not giving him too much, since he's not expending too many calories in the bathroom), and using his litter box. He's definitely interested in exploring the rest of the apartment, and the first night he "escaped" the baby gate enclosure twice. Fortunately, he and Ginsby did not clash-- Ginsby followed him around at a safe distance, but seemed a little perturbed when Cap took up residence under the bed for a short time (Ginsby was growling very quietly-- less about attacking, more about expressing displeasure).

I've kept them separated since then, to give each of them a little more time for the transition. Each has seen me interact with the other cat, while each has received individual attention as well. I think Ginsby will have the hardest adjustment, and he might be a little annoyed with the new guy coming in, but it seems clear he won't be extremely defensive.

I think I'll keep them separated for a few more days, and then carefully monitor the new meeting of the minds.

All in all, I think things are going about as well as we could expect, and I think Cap will be happy, and so will Ginsby (eventually).

Tuesday August 18:

I'm really tickled by Cap's sweet nature. He really does want to do the right thing: when I correct him about jumping over the baby gates, he understands, and lies down docilely. Yes, he's been kneading, but not standing up yet. I now have an understanding of the nipping situation: he does it as a semi-playful reflex, when there's a finger or hand waving in front of him.

You can be sure I'm giving Ginsby lots of lovin these days. He's a bit confused about me spending time with Cap in the baby gate enclosure, but doesn't hold it against me. I'm now understanding how big of a change this will be for him-- I thought he'd welcome another cat immediately. I still think there's significant potential, but now understand the transition will occur in months, not days.

The new owner is really loving and accepting and patient and perfect, and Cap is so lucky! If anyone is interested I'll post further updates as they come in. I'm looking forward to the day when Cap and Ginsby play and nap together. We've introduced cats before, but if anyone has thoughts or experiences they'd like to share, please do. For now, things seem to be going well. Yay!
  • Subject: Chad is now Cap - updates from his adoptive family!

Thank you, caseopele and Flexichick!

I've got a few updates which the new owners said I could post. And they promised pictures, too! The adoptive family is being so kind and patient, sending us updates about how things are going with the intro to their other cat, Ginsby. Here are the updates so far:

Monday August 17:

We've had a fairly easy weekend in the house with our new addition. I've decide to rename Chadwick to Capote (in honor of the individualistic, free-spirited writer who once lived in Brooklyn), but have been calling him Cap, or Cap Cap, which sounds a little like "Chad," and is definitely different from the sound of "Ginsby."

Cap and I have been having some nice bonding moments-- he purrs and rubs against my legs, so I think he's getting used to me. He's eating well (though I'm not giving him too much, since he's not expending too many calories in the bathroom), and using his litter box. He's definitely interested in exploring the rest of the apartment, and the first night he "escaped" the baby gate enclosure twice. Fortunately, he and Ginsby did not clash-- Ginsby followed him around at a safe distance, but seemed a little perturbed when Cap took up residence under the bed for a short time (Ginsby was growling very quietly-- less about attacking, more about expressing displeasure).

I've kept them separated since then, to give each of them a little more time for the transition. Each has seen me interact with the other cat, while each has received individual attention as well. I think Ginsby will have the hardest adjustment, and he might be a little annoyed with the new guy coming in, but it seems clear he won't be extremely defensive.

I think I'll keep them separated for a few more days, and then carefully monitor the new meeting of the minds.

All in all, I think things are going about as well as we could expect, and I think Cap will be happy, and so will Ginsby (eventually).

Tuesday August 18:

I'm really tickled by Cap's sweet nature. He really does want to do the right thing: when I correct him about jumping over the baby gates, he understands, and lies down docilely. Yes, he's been kneading, but not standing up yet. I now have an understanding of the nipping situation: he does it as a semi-playful reflex, when there's a finger or hand waving in front of him.

You can be sure I'm giving Ginsby lots of lovin these days. He's a bit confused about me spending time with Cap in the baby gate enclosure, but doesn't hold it against me. I'm now understanding how big of a change this will be for him-- I thought he'd welcome another cat immediately. I still think there's significant potential, but now understand the transition will occur in months, not days.

The new owner is really loving and accepting and patient and perfect, and Cap is so lucky! If anyone is interested I'll post further updates as they come in. I'm looking forward to the day when Cap and Ginsby play and nap together. We've introduced cats before, but if anyone has thoughts or experiences they'd like to share, please do. For now, things seem to be going well. Yay!
  • Yay...I predict Capote and Ginsby will be buddies in no time. Can't wait to see pics.
  • Yay...I predict Capote and Ginsby will be buddies in no time. Can't wait to see pics.
  • Awesome, they sound great and really understanding!
  • Awesome, they sound great and really understanding!
  • Subject: it sounds like things are going well!

from last week: :D

We've moved on to supervised play time!

Both cats were very interested in getting to know each other, and were actively challenging the integrity of the baby gates. I was never able to set the gates up in a way that was rock solid, and both of them managed to squeeze through the side openings. Since the short interactions that followed seemed rather friendly, I thought Cap and Ginsby could share time and space if I was around to supervise.

So we had playtime last night and this morning, and I think we've got a lot of potential for a budding friendship. They've sniffed each other several times (front and back), and been able to relax in the same room (lying down near one another). I'm pretty sure Ginsby invited Cap to chase him at one point!

I do keep an eye on them, but I'm cautious about hovering. Ginsby's being more docile than I expected he'd be, and Cap's taking all the liberty he can get. Cap does understand that I'm the authority in the apartment, and he listens (and learns) very well. Perhaps Cap will emerge as the alpha, but if so, I think Ginsby will be OK with that.

I am keeping Cap separated from Ginsby when I'm not at home, or when I sleep at night. This is mostly for Ginsby's benefit, and Cap doesn't balk when I put him in his room. I'm rewarding both boys with treats after they spend time together that is stress free, and giving both lots of positive attention (petting and soothing voice).

I realize we're moving faster than most of the writing suggests, but I really haven't seen any signs of distress from either of them. I think that they both want to be with other cats, and I think separating them after their time together actually might create more of an interest in the other (the old "absence makes the heart grow fonder" approach).
  • Subject: it sounds like things are going well!

from last week: :D

We've moved on to supervised play time!

Both cats were very interested in getting to know each other, and were actively challenging the integrity of the baby gates. I was never able to set the gates up in a way that was rock solid, and both of them managed to squeeze through the side openings. Since the short interactions that followed seemed rather friendly, I thought Cap and Ginsby could share time and space if I was around to supervise.

So we had playtime last night and this morning, and I think we've got a lot of potential for a budding friendship. They've sniffed each other several times (front and back), and been able to relax in the same room (lying down near one another). I'm pretty sure Ginsby invited Cap to chase him at one point!

I do keep an eye on them, but I'm cautious about hovering. Ginsby's being more docile than I expected he'd be, and Cap's taking all the liberty he can get. Cap does understand that I'm the authority in the apartment, and he listens (and learns) very well. Perhaps Cap will emerge as the alpha, but if so, I think Ginsby will be OK with that.

I am keeping Cap separated from Ginsby when I'm not at home, or when I sleep at night. This is mostly for Ginsby's benefit, and Cap doesn't balk when I put him in his room. I'm rewarding both boys with treats after they spend time together that is stress free, and giving both lots of positive attention (petting and soothing voice).

I realize we're moving faster than most of the writing suggests, but I really haven't seen any signs of distress from either of them. I think that they both want to be with other cats, and I think separating them after their time together actually might create more of an interest in the other (the old "absence makes the heart grow fonder" approach).
  • This sounds great, what a wonderful home you found for him!
This discussion has been closed.