vegetarian joints — Brooklynian

vegetarian joints

It seems like burger places are all over the place from 5 bro's on Montague to Checker's on Court. Why are there only like 2 or 3 options for us veggies??? Am I missing something? [ uh oh, that's a loaded question!]

Comments

• Subject: veggie joints

hello,

do you mean specifically burger joints? i don't think they would do that well. as for vegetarian restaurants, lots of them have amazing veggie burgers...check out candle cafe (expensive though), gobo, and lots of others i assume. also, look at

supervegan.com to search for veggie restaurants in the area. hope that helps you to find what you are looking for.
  • raw wrote: http://www.spreadvegan.com/

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/vegetarian-palate/

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/hunan-delight/
    I second the recommendation to try out hunan delight in park slope. If you are a fan of mock meats then it is truly the only place to go for vegetarian american-style chinese food. the general tso's faux chicken dish tastes so real and yummy that it's scary!
  • The only thing you are missing is the delicious taste of bacon!
  • 5 guys? is that what you are talking about? their grilled cheese is AMAZING.
  • Thanks for the suggestions all! I won't go to a traditional burger place and get a veggie burger. Meat just grosses me sooo bad. A diner fine. Also, I don't eat dairy but it wasn't too long ago I was gobbling up grilled cheese sammiches!
  • Go over to Crown Heights to Nostrand Avenue and try Imhotep. Its a health food store with veggie only food in the rear. It has a small eat in area (3-4 tables) with the majority of their food being take out. My veggie friends swear by it.
  • Subject: @hatemail

Bacon?! Pigs are wonderful creatures and are 6 times more intelligent than dogs [ I love dogs too of course, but it's a fact ]. Pigs are also loyal and emotional creatures. If you love animals, don't eat them. Might does not make right. BESIDIES the fact that most diseases in society start right on factory farms.
  • Subject: Re: @hatemail

Salesman's Daughter wrote: Bacon?! Pigs are wonderful creatures and are 6 times more intelligent than dogs [ I love dogs too of course, but it's a fact ].
    They're much more than 6 times tastier than dogs too!
    Salesman's Daughter wrote: BESIDIES the fact that most diseases in society start right on factory farms.
    That's simply isn't true.
  • homeowner wrote: Go over to Crown Heights to Nostrand Avenue and try Imhotep. Its a health food store with veggie only food in the rear. It has a small eat in area (3-4 tables) with the majority of their food being take out. My veggie friends swear by it.
    I've heard great things about that place, although I've never tried it.

D'Ital Shack is also supposed to be great.
  • Swine flu though is only one example of deadly illnesses that have broken the species barrier: Tuberculosis actually originated in bison. The Bubonic plague was spread by rats. Salmonella lives in chickens. The Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) is now known to be a mutation of the Simeon Immunodeficiency Virus (SIV), which occurs in chimpanzees.
  • PS- Thanks for the D'Ital info. :)
  • Salesman's Daughter wrote: Swine flu though is only one example of deadly illnesses that have broken the species barrier: Tuberculosis actually originated in bison. The Bubonic plague was spread by rats. Salmonella lives in chickens. The Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) is now known to be a mutation of the Simeon Immunodeficiency Virus (SIV), which occurs in chimpanzees.
    Absolutely, although I haven't heard of the rat and chimpanzee factory farms that led to the spread of those diseases.

There are definitely examples of diseases that stem from animals in general and farming in particular. However, it's simply not true that "most diseases in society start right on factory farms."
  • D Ital Shak Health Food Restaurant
    989 Nostrand Ave (near Empire)
    Brooklyn, NY 11225-2906
    (718) 756-6557

...is closed on Sunday.

Whynot and Mrs. Whynot witnessed this first hand.

...but it does seem to still be an operating business.
  • YES Imhotep and Ital Shak are GREAT! Also just about ALL Trini places you can get a veggie roti! You spoke of burgers and there is a vegan fast food joint on Grand between Havemyer and Roebling called Foodswings and somewhere on 5th ave is this dope vegan sandwich place but I forget the name and another one in Greenpoint "Brooklyn bone Shakers" on Kingsland Ave and they have the best vegan sandwiches I ever had in life!

I do not like the "fake meat" aka soy protien stuff so much so the 2 Asian vegan restaurants on Flatbush in Park Slope are EH

Realize though that Thai,Indian, West Indian and a whole lot of cuisines have GREAT vegan dishes!
  • check out:
    www.supervegan.com

full disclosure - i'm cooking for the bike and brunch currently on the first page! and some of the contributers also post here as neighborhood members.
    the site is really cool for searching via map/neighborhood/type of food/cost/etc. i usually try to post reviews regularly, including a recent trip to zpizza.

fyi for purchasing veggie burgers to cook yourself wildwood are absolutely the best.
    for finding a recipe i really like vegandad.blogspot.com 's tempeh burgers
    for a restaurant foodswings has gone way downhill - i would recommend terri in chelsea or curly's near union square for a really good vegan sandwich/burger. had a pretty ok veggie burger right outside of the hospital on 7th ave at an all night diner, but the conditions under which i was there at 4 am on halloween night might have skewed my taste buds. haven't tried thistle's yet. the above mentioned boneshakers is really cute and has good sandwiches but stay away from their house burger - too mushy.
This discussion has been closed.