Soups and Stews!!! - Brooklynian

Soups and Stews!!!

MODMOD
edited 3:10AM in Brooklyn Eats
It's freaking cold outside. I want to start making soups and stews for dinner. Comfort food for the winter.

Any good recipes you want to share?

I've done chicken soup with tons of garlic and collard greens before. But it would be great to have a tried and true Albondiga , Menudo, or Pasole soup that's easy to make. (my spelling might be off there)

Share your soup or stew recipes please :bounce: =P~ anything really, I could use a better chicken soup recipe too.

Comments

• Subject: Lentil soup and so much more

click the link for directions, and many other great recipes!

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/lentil-soup

This hearty vegetarian soup has just a touch of spice certain to warm you up
    Yield: 4–6 servings
    Prep Time: 20 mins
    Cooking Time: 35 mins
    Ingredients

* 1 tbsp olive oil
    * 2 onions, finely chopped
    * 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
    * 2 carrots, finely chopped
    * 2 garlic cloves, crushed
    * 1–2 tsp curry powder
    * 5½ cups vegetable stock
    * ¾ cup red lentils
    * ½ cup tomato or multi-vegetable juice
    * salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • albondigas! I am so down with that :-)
  • tonight i'm making a kind of tagine out of lamb shoulder chops, the green tomatoes left on the couple of my plants that somehow limped through the blight, and maybe some broccoli rabe. it goes approximately like this:

1. blitz in food processor (or grate) 2 large onions, several pieces of garlic, some cilantro.

2. cut lamb into chunks, discarding fat when possible. keep bones, though.

3. put lamb and grate stuff in pot with herbs and spices. i've got a couple tablespoons of dried thyme, 1/4 tsp tumeric, 1/2 tsp or so ground ginger, salt, pepper. cover with water, bring to boil, then lower to simmer, cover, and cook for a couple hours, until meat is falling off bones, nice and tender.

4. an hour or so in, add cubed green tomatoes. their acid helps the meat get tender faster.

just did that now:

5. if you want it, chop broccoli rabe and blanch in salty water for 5 minutes.

6. pour lamb-y stuff and broccoli rabe into a shallow dish. bake in 350-400 degree for maybe 15 minutes -- just enough to brown the top a little.

serve over big couscous (lebanese or israeli), rice, or with bread.
  • =P~ Holly shit woman, you need to invite me over sometime (or bring leftovers tomorrow at the party!!!)

That sounds sooo good!
  • normally, there is something in stews that turns me off (peppers, curry, etc), but I can totally get behind this lamb-y thing sweet tea has going on!
  • leftovers? we never have much in the way of those... here are a few more pictures (sorry the camera hates low-light):

just out of the oven (for fancier guests, take the bones out before this step. let guests you love chew on them.) no broccoli rabe this time: image

plated up: image

lebanese couscous: image

directions for lebanese or israeli couscous (i pretty much made this up. it's probably not the "right" way.):

1. in a large skillet, saute herbs and spices in butter and/or olive oil. last night i used a little fresh thyme, some crushed coriander seed, and eventually some black pepper and ground cardamon.

2. add a few handfuls of couscous and cook for a few minutes, stirring.

3. add chicken broth and/or water to cover but not drown the couscous (you can add more later -- i think i started with about 2-3 cups liquid to about 2.5 cups couscous). turn heat down to med/low and cook at a fast simmer, stirring from time to time. if you're running out of water and the couscous isn't done (think pasta), add more liquid. i threw some old white wine in at some point.

4. when it's almost done, salt to taste. i also added some chopped parsley at this point. towards the end, it starts to stick to the pan a bit. it's nice to let it brown in bits, but mind you scrape the pan so it doesn't burn.
  • That looks tasty. I have never heard of Lebanese/Israeli couscous. Where did you buy it? Is there a brand that you are aware of?
  • israeli isn't as hard to find as lebanese, which i usually get from sahadi's. (they sell it under their own label, but pre-packaged.) once i got it at the oriental pastry place across the street when sahadi's was out, but it was stale. (it does go stale a little faster than pasta, so i should probably store it in my freezer, but i never remember that.) it's also called morgrabeyeh or morgrabieh. it is sooo awesome.

israeli i get from the bulk bins at the coop, but i've seen it other places, too. it's a little smaller than lebanese, but still much bigger than regular moroccan couscous.
  • Thanks...I'll look for it next time I am in Sahadi's.
  • My family's simple, simple carrot soup. Not really a meal on it's own, but I find a bowl or two and some deli meat on the side does the trick.

Ingredients:
    5 loose carrots (or else an entire 1lb bag that comes packaged)
    3 small yellow onions
    32oz chicken or vegetable broth

Chop the carrots and onions. Saute them with 2 tablespoons of butter, margine or olive oil in a pot on medium heat, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until the onions are becoming translucent and the carrots are softer. Add the broth, cook, covered for about 25 minutes. Use a stick blender to puree in the pot, I've had bad experiences with blending hot liquids in regular blenders! Season with salt and pepper to taste, though it really doesn't need any.
  • So far have made chicken chili (using shreded and chunked chicken breast instead of the ground beef and cannellini beans instead of the red kidney beans), carrot ginger soup (with cashews) and stuffed peppers (lamb and barley). I WANNA BARBEQUE!
  • edited December 2013

Funny...i was trying to figure out how to cook Lebanese couscous and found this thread through some wild googling.

This discussion has been closed.