Like it or not, the Barclays arena seems to be coming - Brooklynian

Like it or not, the Barclays arena seems to be coming

For those of you unaware, today is the last day you will EVER have the pleasure/displeasure of driving your car along Fifth Avenue from Flatbush to Atlantic. ....The road will be closed on 2/1/10. These folks are were among the last ones.

For history buffs: There was a guy, Daniel Goldstein, who tried to fight the Arena project, because -among other concerns- he would have to move because he lived in its planned footprint..

Needless to say, he lost his battle.
He is presently among the last residents living in the soon-to-be-demolished building. Is it right to assume this classic sign is in either his (or his partner's) handwriting?

Finally, heres a picture taken from the 6th Ave Bridge looking at the site of where arena will be built. (The 6th Ave bridge itself will be closed soon, but has a few more weeks of service left in it. I'll try be back to take its picture on its last day of service)

nothing like taking a few low quality photos on a Sunday afternoon... comments welcome.

Comments

• This has been a textbook boondoggle so far, and it will take forever to complete, or twenty years (whichever comes first). It will gum up the works until then, for blocks around, and the developers are sure to keep us guessing with more and more design changes.

I've seen a lot of info on how this will effect auto traffic (fifth avenue closed, etc) but nothing on pedestrian flow impact. Will we still be able to walk easily from 5th Ave to Fort Greene? Or will we have to go past the coffins at Atlantic Terminal and up Hanson Place?
  • Also, I really like that last photo you posted. A post apocalyptic no-man's land.
  • Thanks for documenting a day in the demise of this swath of Brooklyn. Sad.
  • Laura B wrote: Thanks for documenting a day in the demise of this swath of Brooklyn. Sad.
    Any predictions as to how long construction of just the arena will take?

...it took LIRR eight years to build the new Flatbush Terminal entrance. (it must have taken them six years alone to find bollards/coffins that were that ugly and impeded pedestrian flow to that degree).
  • I think the point of the coffins is to make it impossible to sit and loiter. Same reason they took away the planter benches at Ft. Greene Pl. and Atlantic.

This time, to be extra-sure, they made the tops all bumpy.

(and I already made my prediction but I'm changing it: 20 years or never, whichever comes first)
  • the cynic in me says it will take less time b/c money is involved.

The train entrance took so long b/c they were able to sell train tickets uninterrupted the entire time. To the LIRR, opening it simply meant cleaning public restrooms and sweeping an additional set of stairs.

The arena, on the other hand, will be built with the public's money but will not provide any "free benefits to the public" in anyway (no overdue staircase to the trains, no restrooms for those who drank too much diet coke). ...so I think it will get done in 5 years, and be regularly booked by bible preachers and graduation ceremonies by Pratt and LIU.
  • I don't know, this dilemma reminds me of the old maxim:

"If you ever have to ask yourself: Is this an elaborate plot, or are they really that dumb?"....well, I'm not a betting man, but I know which way I'd go.
  • whynot_31 wrote: Any predictions as to how long construction of just the arena will take?

...it took LIRR eight years to build the new Flatbush Terminal entrance.
    There's been a lot of discussion about how long this will all take on AtlanticYardsReport.com. The first promise was that it would be open Fall 2005, and the current projection is mid-2010. See http://bit.ly/9aeBR8 and http://bit.ly/cfnoov

Also, see "Despite promise of ten-year AY buildout, ESDC deadlines allow 12 years for Phase 1, 15 years to start platform, 25 years for full project" at http://bit.ly/9XU7O2

The upshot of a close look at the documents is that Ratner has 25 years to finish everything, though there are minuscule penalties for taking longer. The state continues to maintain that the whole project will take only 10 years, but they need to do that in order to confiscate private property and give it to Ratner.
  • Will Ratner be indicted for bribary? :-k ](*,) :-k ](*,)
  • Clearly, mid-2010 isn't going to happen.

When did the clock officially start?
  • hunter.gatherer wrote: I think the point of the coffins is to make it impossible to sit and loiter. Same reason they took away the planter benches at Ft. Greene Pl. and Atlantic.

This time, to be extra-sure, they made the tops all bumpy.)
    I'm often as cynical as you, but this isn't quite true. The sides of the coffins facing the terminal have two levels of seats. You can absolutely sit on them. The point of the coffins is to thwart vehicles running into the terminal. LIRR was the target for a planned (and obviously thwarted) terror attack prior to September 11, 2001.
  • They are supposed to have the roof on it by Jan 1, 2012 and have it open for paying customers in Oct 2012.

There is an amazing amount of work occurring, and I often see crews there as a late as 10 PM.

• it's urban blight.

This discussion has been closed.