got lost in prospect park - where the hell was i? — Brooklynian

got lost in prospect park - where the hell was i?

so me and my dog were wandering around prospect park and ended up in a place we've never been. i'm not awesome with directions, but my guessimate is that it was to the northeast of grand army plaza. the main feature was 3 large round areas made of bricks, surrounded by bushes. there was some bamboo along the path that led up to it. the other main feature was a severe feeling of sketchiness, personified by the fact that the one or two other people there were just kind of standing around, seemingly not doing anything or talking to each other. sort of nearby was a shallow pond area with a partially submerged black plastic contractor's bag apparently containing large item in it, and some dingy looking mallard ducks paddling around. also there was more litter than in other parts of the park.

anyone know the name of the area i'm talking about? i looked on for a picture of the area in the "secret prospect" section of forgotten-ny.com, but no luck.

Comments

• if there was fellatio going on, you were in the vale of cashmere. Congratulations.
  • i didn't see any fellatio, but i wouldn't have been surprised to. do the geographic/architectural features i'm describing ring a bell, anyone?
  • the people standing around not talking to each other = waiting for sex. I am not sure about the geography, but I am guessing that's where you were.
  • :lol: flexi that cracked me up
  • " The Vale of Cashmere, in the Park's northeastern end just south of Grand Army Plaza, is a formal sunken garden at the bottom of a ravine formed by a retreating glacier. The garden takes its name from a line in Thomas Moore's poem "Lalla Rookh"; sculptures of Moore, little-read today, can be found in both Prospect and Central Parks. The centerpiece of the fountain was a sculpture of a nude youth holding a duck surrounded by six turtles; it was stolen in 1941.

The Vale is in one of Prospect's more secluded areas and should be approached with caution."
  • Flexichick wrote: " The Vale of Cashmere, in the Park's northeastern end just south of Grand Army Plaza, is a formal sunken garden at the bottom of a ravine formed by a retreating glacier. The garden takes its name from a line in Thomas Moore's poem "Lalla Rookh"; sculptures of Moore, little-read today, can be found in both Prospect and Central Parks. The centerpiece of the fountain was a sculpture of a nude youth holding a duck surrounded by six turtles; it was stolen in 1941.
    Does Al Gore know about this?
  • After looking for more pictures online, I just realized the 3 sunken circular thingies are ponds, I guess drained for the winter.

It WAS the Vale of Cashmere! Wow, I'm so psyched. I feel like I found Avalon, but sketchy.
  • Aha! I knew it :D/

By the way, the litter = :safe: :safe: :safe: :safe: :safe:
  • Does that emoticon represent Frenchie from "Grease"?
  • lnelson wrote: Does that emoticon represent Frenchie from "Grease"?
    I'm not sure, but "Frenchie" and "Grease" are words you should be very careful saying out loud whilst wandering in the Vale of Cashmere.

I'm just sayin' :lol:
  • The three fountains are actually the Rose Garden part of the Vale. They haven't been running the fountains, even in the summer. This is a pretty neglected part of the park. A few summers ago one fountain was on for a couple of months and it was a great spot to stop with the dog for him to get a drink of clean water while watching some drug selling.

Before I had a dog, I had parks workers tell me to stay out of that part of the park unless I had a big dog. Haha.

I love this part of the park and I think the pond section (not the fountains) was in the movie Sophie's Choice. It's really beautiful in the movie.
  • Flexichick wrote: [quote=lnelson]Does that emoticon represent Frenchie from "Grease"?
    I'm not sure, but "Frenchie" and "Grease" are words you should be very careful saying out loud whilst wandering in the Vale of Cashmere.

I'm just sayin' :lol:

:shock:
  • Lnelson and OpossumQ, this part of the park is known exclusively for male on male action

...I can't say Dude and I have ever seen male on female action there. Ok, we have never even seen a female there.

yup, local HIV/AIDS outreach organizations pass out condoms by the truckload.

some google links...

http://ayearinthepark.typepad.com/prospect_a_year_in_the_pa/2008/03/fear-itself.html

http://asecular.com/ran/0207/020711.htm
  • Yeah, I don't think I have ever seen another female back there unless we walked there together. Only dudes cruising or dealing smack! :)
  • I used to see female prostitutes hanging out along Flatbush (between GAP and the zoo), but they seemed to be servicing the long haul trucks that would park there overnight.

(this was a long time ago, in the early 2000's)
  • lnelson wrote: After looking for more pictures online, I just realized the 3 sunken circular thingies are ponds, I guess drained for the winter.

It WAS the Vale of Cashmere! Wow, I'm so psyched. I feel like I found Avalon, but sketchy.

Wow, Frankie Avalon was there and you outed him.
  • Yes, and he was singing "You've got me swingin' on a rainbow" to the guy who was fellating him. Just then, the empty pools filled with water, the fountains burst into action, and the sketchy men who's previously been standing around trying not to act jealous of him spontaneously began synchronized swimming in a graceful '69' formation!

It was quite a sight.

*Interesting, the Firefox spell check doesn't recognize "fellating"*
  • ^^ made me laugh out loud!!
  • [quote="lnelson"]Yes, and he was singing "You've got me swingin' on a rainbow" to the guy who was fellating him. Just then, the empty pools filled with water, the fountains burst into action, and the sketchy men who's previously been standing around trying not to act jealous of him spontaneously began synchronized swimming in a graceful '69' formation!

It was quite a sight.

Sounds like you stumbled into the filming of an updated version of MGM's, Esther Williams film ,The Magic Fountain
  • If you saw ex-Congressman Massa giving massages, you're in the right place.
  • Walkathon wrote: If you saw ex-Congressman Massa giving massages, you're in the right place.
    No comment. I have a strict policy of only libeling those too old to give a shit what the internet says (e.g. Frankie Avalon, b. 1939).

It's sad when Wikipedia calls someone a "former teen idol." Technically I'm a "former toddler," but I'd be bummed if a popular biography someday referred to me that way.
  • having gone from idol to idle, i'm sure frankie would gladly accept former over deceased.
  • lnelson wrote: [quote=Walkathon]If you saw ex-Congressman Massa giving massages, you're in the right place.
    No comment. I have a strict policy of only libeling those too old to give a shit what the internet says

Anything else is just mere Massa turbulation (sic...no, really).
  • it one of my favor areas minus all the strange men lurking around, kinda scary.
  • The Litter Mob seems to be practicing what is know as harm reduction:

The have accepted that men are going to have sex in the park, but want them to do in an way that doesn't hurt the plants.

Yesterday Daily Intel and the Brooklyn Paper reported on how the Litter Mob—the volunteer group that meets regularly to clean up trash from Prospect Park—had built out a new pathway in an area of the park known as a public sex hotspot. According to Daily Intel, the park section is known as the Vale of Cashmere: “The path is intended to direct cruisers to sex rather than the delicate plants surrounding the Midwood section of the park. The path will prevent soil erosion and protect tree roots from people walking back and forth from the ‘Vale’.” And via Brooklyn Paper: “The group — which has cleaned up pounds of condom wrappers, lube packets and other kinky unmentionables — hopes the path will keep any clothes-off activities on-trail in the Midwood section of the park. …The hillside patch of woodland, near the carousel by Center Drive, has long been a spot for gay cruising. It has also come to be known for its piles of trash, empty bottles of booze, food wrappers, and more risque refuse.”

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2012/03/trashy-to-tasteful-in-prospect-park/#disqus_thread

This discussion has been closed.