Cat Found (definitely not a feral cat) - Brooklynian

Cat Found (definitely not a feral cat)

Hi guys,

I found a cat stuck in my backyard this morning. He is sooooooooooo cute and nice and I'd take him in myself, but I already have a cat.

I don't think he's a feral cat, because he looks super clean, like he hasn't been through a thing in his life.

So if anyone is missing a male tabby, age about one year, please pm me.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion what I do with him if no one claims him? I don't want to call animal control to pick him up, because they run kill shelters.

He's so tame, I could put him in our cat's carrier and bring him to a no kill animal shelter if needed.

Comments

• Poor kitty.

I'm assuming he doesn't have a collar. Can you pick him up and take him to a local vet to have him scanned for a microchip? Vets will do this for free and you might get lucky and find him registered (most shelters do this nowadays, although they have to also keep their records straight).

Here's a link with some other tips:

http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35758
  • Thanks Flexichick.

I'm going to bring him to the vet in a few. Hopefully it's someone's cat. After that we'll have to see what I'll do.
  • So no luck with that. He doesn't have a microchip. Called a bunch of shelters and they have no space. I really don't know what to do now. Geez. Any other suggestions?
  • Did you try BAFN ?
    http://brooklynanimalfosternetwork.org/index.html

Also, sometimes your best bet is neighbors and friends. I know it is a lot of work, but they are innocent helpless pets, they need our help. Put out fliers at all the local pet stores and blocks. Send an email blast to all your friends seeing if they can take the cat in, even for a short while, until the foster networks and NO-KILL shelters can find him a home. Spread the word around work too, maybe a coworker you never even thought of can help.
  • The Sean Casey link on that first link I posted is broken. Here is the correct link. Try calling him every day, because that's how frequently things change with his shelter.

http://scarnyc.org/
  • Subject: cat

What color it the cat. Caseopele had a friend that lost a grey tabby recently. Check this board to see if it might be their cat. Please don't leave it loose if you think it's someone's lost cat. It may have no idea how to survive on it's own out there. Great of you to be tryiing so hard to help.
  • It's a brown tabby. I thought I found it's owner on craigslist, but the cat has different markings, so no match.

I brought him to ASPCA and they said if they don't find him to be adoptable, then they will call me again, so I can pick him up. My mom will take him in if need be.

Thanks again.
  • Good job! Thanks for taking care of him
  • My tennis racket needs a re-stringing. Would you consider dropping him off?
  • Walkathon wrote: My tennis racket needs a re-stringing. Would you consider dropping him off?
    My donkey's got a lame foot, mind offering yourself up as a replacement?
  • Subject: cat

If I may offer a suggestion. Don't think the ASPCA will definitely call you before putting this cat to sleep. Too many slipups can occur and you won't know until it's too late.

If you called every day or so to find out if he's been found, it may save his life. Then if he hits the end of his time there you can collect him and maybe by that time one of the no kill shelters will have a spot open up to take him in.

I'd never trust the ASPCA to have it together enough to have a note on his file. I've known people who have lost their animals to this kind of mistake cause they couldn't find where they had been taken after being lost and when it's too late, it's too late.
  • Subject: Re: cat

dakotas way wrote: If I may offer a suggestion. Don't think the ASPCA will definitely call you before putting this cat to sleep. Too many slipups can occur and you won't know until it's too late.

If you called every day or so to find out if he's been found, it may save his life. Then if he hits the end of his time there you can collect him and maybe by that time one of the no kill shelters will have a spot open up to take him in.

I'd never trust the ASPCA to have it together enough to have a note on his file. I've known people who have lost their animals to this kind of mistake cause they couldn't find where they had been taken after being lost and when it's too late, it's too late.
    I second this suggestion. Good call, dakota's way!
  • So a little update:

I called the ASPCA today to see what was going on with the cat.

They pulled his record and say that he's up for neutering and then adoption.

So yay! I'm happy that he's going to find a nice home somewhere... and that he got neutered. :lol:

Hopefully his mug shot will be up on the ASPCA website soon.
This discussion has been closed.