Safety question — Brooklynian

Safety question

I know that Bushwick is considered dangerous, but I was wondering how safe/dangerous is Decatur St & Wilson Ave in Bushwick. There seem to be L train stop on Wilson Ave two blocks away from my potential home - I'd like to know how safe that area is as well. I'll be walking home alone from school around 10 pm.

Comments

• The L stop you need is at Morgan. It's mostly warehouses and commercial places where hipsters hang out, but most of it is closed by 10 p.m. I live near the next L stop, Jefferson, and it's pretty much a 24 hour hood here and I feel perfectly safe. You really need to go over to the neighborhood of your potential new home with a friend at 10 p.m. on a weeknight to see if you feel comfortable there.
  • No the closest stop to Decatur St & Wilson Ave in Bushwick is Wilson L stop. Of course I'm gonna go and see the place in person but I need as many opinions as possible about the area as well.
  • catsmeow wrote: No the closest stop to Decatur St & Wilson Ave in Bushwick is Wilson L stop. Of course I'm gonna go and see the place in person but I need as many opinions as possible about the area as well.
    Snippy replies like that wont exactly bring out the helpful feeling in readers.
  • Hi catsmeow,

I've lived on Decatur at Wilson for two years now and am actually moving out of the neighborhood this week. I'm usually hesitant to weigh in on the 'how safe is the area' threads because, all in all, every neighborhood has its good and bad points. I'll try to give you a fair appraisal of the area and you're welcome to PM me if you have questions.

There are alot of really decent, hardworking people in the neighborhood but, of all the places I've lived, this area is the sketchiest. There are always going to be people around to make trouble...this area just has more of them. I wouldn't advise you to walk home from the train by yourself at 10:00 or after dark period. The Wilson station is an odd one, and if you're coming from Manhattan you'll most likely exit the train onto a deserted platform. The area surrounding the station and the first block to Cooper is almost pitch dark (you're walking past a public school) and from Cooper to Decatur you'll get a little light from the New Texas Fried Chicken and Donuts (get used to it, that's your only nearby option) and the 24/7 Bodega (that isn't actually 24/7 but it's where I do all my quick shopping and the owner is really nice). Most of the other storefronts have been shuttered the entire time I've lived there. I've never been a fearful person and I've lived in other 'rough' neighborhoods, but even I realized early on that walking from this subway station at night is not a great idea. I have a 'system' now where if I'm out alone I'll text my husband while I'm on the L train, the Wilson stop is the first above ground stop on the L, so as it ascends from Halsey the text will go through and he'll start walking towards the station to meet me. So, I guess that's the safety rundown. Obviously I'm still alive and haven't suffered any craziness while living there, but you do have to watch your back quite a bit more than you might elsewhere. There have been several shootings on the corner of Wilson and Decatur, on Cooper, and at the train station over the past two years. All very close, but I figure no one's shooting at me, y'know? It does suck to come home from walking my dog and realize that if I'd turned right instead of left going out my door, I'd have been right in the middle of a shooting.

Besides the safety/crime aspect which was always somewhat periphery to me, my only 'complaint' about the area (and I knew this going into it, but you should too) is that there is absolutely nothing to do within real walking distance. No bars. No restaurants. No take-out other than the fried chicken place and a pizza place two blocks down. Maybe three delivery options. That's it. There's a bullet proof liquor store, and sometimes the bodega will have a few bottles of actually very good wine for $10 that fell off a truck somewhere. Your grocery option is the Food Bazaar and it's a bit of a walk.

I hope this helps. I haven't hated it there by any means, but you really should know what you're getting into.
  • I also meant to mention bushwickbk.com for a little more neighborhood info. They generally stick to the 'hip' areas in Bushwick, but occasionally you'll find a post about the further out areas. They also have a forum.
  • elgoats wrote: [quote=catsmeow]No the closest stop to Decatur St & Wilson Ave in Bushwick is Wilson L stop. Of course I'm gonna go and see the place in person but I need as many opinions as possible about the area as well.
    Snippy replies like that wont exactly bring out the helpful feeling in readers.

I didn't mean to sound that way. Sorry :/
    UrbanCowgirl, thank you. It was really helpful. Off I go to find another apt again...
  • Hi catsmeow, yes I was wrong about the stop on the L. Sorry 'bout that:(

I'm moving from an apartment in a somewhat "hipper" part of Bushwick (just to another apartment a few blocks away) and just put up a notice for my current roommate (who is now seeking a new roommie for Sept 1) in the Marketplace section on this board. Check it out if you are interested in living in Bushwick or just finding an inexpensive place that is really nice with a nice roommate!
  • Subject: Safety at Bushwick Houses

My family and I are considering relocating to Bushwick Houses from Las Vegas, NV We have 3 children ages 12, 5 & 2 and I would like to know what people have to say regarding safety and if it is something to seriously consider. Thanks for the input!
  • I've never been there, but read this & see how you feel:

http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49532

I really hope you've seen the place before you signed a lease.
This discussion has been closed.