Socially Responsible Take-out and Delivery? - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Socially Responsible Take-out and Delivery?

Like a lot of people, I'm trying to be more conscious about what I eat. But I don't do a lot of cooking: I do a lot of ordering out.

As far as I can think of, Bark Hot Dogs is the only reasonable place I can do take out and actually feel ok about the sources of the ingredients. (And there I can't call in an order or get delivery, so it's not quite what I'm looking for.)

(It's not lost on me that there's something sort of wrong about not wanting to be alienated from the source of my food, and yet wanting it to show up fully prepared on my doorstep. But I'm tired at the end of the day.)

Are there other places anyone can recommend? (I'm really looking for things in the north Park Slope / Prospect Heights area, but I'm interested in things all over.)

Is there a restaurant listing site that focuses on this? It seems like there ought to be, but the closest thing I've found so far is the Brooklyn Snail of Approval listing from Slow Food NYC, and there doesn't seem to be anything there that fits the bill.

Is responsible eating still such a niche market that this really doesn't exist?

Comments

• Some could criticize you for eating meat, saying that doing so requires the killing of animals. Not that I care, but it goes to show that anyone can criticize any business for any reason if they really want to.
  • Bark VEGGIE dogs are one of the yummiest foods in the world.

What about one of those mail-order food companies where they deliver 3 meals each day?
  • I'm a little confused by your question. Are you interested in eating local (ie. knowing that your food is being grown/produced within a given distance from where you live) or are you interested in the ingredients themselves (knowing that your food is fresh vs frozen, not processed, etc.)?

I would think that the second is easier to suss out than the first. Really it would just be a matter of making the rounds to your local eateries on the weekends or whenever you have a moment and talking to the chef about what is being used in the food.

The first is usually much harder to figure out. Many of our local restaurants use suppliers to get their goods. Folks tend to forget that Brooklyn is an island and with the exception of foods that are grown/produced on Long Island, everything else has to be shipped here, with some items requiring multiple forms of transportation (ship/truck and rail/truck being the most common). Large food wholesalers tend to get items from various suppliers so some food may be local, some national, and some international. Again, you'd have to ask at individual restaurants to get a better sense of where they get their items from.
  • I'm interested in locally grown (where my definition of local allows for upstate and New Jersey farms), organically grown, fresh, in-season, grass-fed (for beef), ecologically sound.

I found a handful of New York spots (but none in Brooklyn) at http://guide.chefscollaborative.org/.

http://www.localharvest.org/ lists Alchemy, but it's not clear why.

Still looking ...
  • This may help you. It went out to the Bed-Stuy parents group:
    CP: Discover & Support Great Local Food at NonaBrooklyn
    Posted by: "Alison" REDACTED alisonswitalski
    Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:19 pm (PDT)

NonaBrooklyn.com - a website my husband and I started is meant to help Brooklynites discover all the great local and artisanal food our borough has to offer, and in doing so to support the Brooklynites growing, making and serving that food. Please help us out and take a few seconds to sign up - it's totally free! When you sign up at nonabrooklyn.com, you'll get our weekly email newsletter with local food news, profiles of local food businesses, and details on our weekly giveaways.

This week we profiled Drake Page, the chutney-master behind Greenpoint-based D.P. Chutney Collective. When the great chutney diaspora brought the sweet and spicy condiments west from India hundreds of years ago, cooks in the Caribbean and the American South embraced the exotic produce-preserving technique and incorporated it into their own local cuisines. Drake has brought this Southern tradition to Brooklyn, adding his own creative and regional twist. He's developed rich and complex flavor combinations in varieties like Sweet Tomato Chutney with Black Mustard Seeds, Bermuda Onion and Blueberry, Pear and Cardamom, Plum, Green Tomato, and Mango-Chili Ketchups and over 20 more seasonally-inspired specialties.

Drake met up with Nona beat reporter Kimberly Maul to talk and taste chutney. Check out their conversation on our blog (you'll be craving chutney in no time)!

This week we're giving away two jars of Drake's spicy masterworks to five Nona newsletter subscribers. Sign up for our weekly newsletter at www.nonabrooklyn.com then email us info[at]nonabrooklyn.com with subject line `Chutney' for your chance to win.

Alison (Fiona 21months & Noah 1 month)
  • homeowner wrote: Folks tend to forget that Brooklyn is an island and with the exception of foods that are grown/produced on Long Island, everything else has to be shipped here, with some items requiring multiple forms of transportation (ship/truck and rail/truck being the most common).
    Correction- Brooklyn is a part of Long Island. 8)
  • Spoken like a non-Brooklynite...

Everyone knows Long Island is part of the island of Brooklyn!!! :D/
This discussion has been closed.