OMG! Sushi place opening up on Nostrand Avenue!!! — Brooklynian

OMG! Sushi place opening up on Nostrand Avenue!!!

I was walking up Nostrand Avenue, between Atlantic and Pacific, and noticed workmen working in a new storefront. They said it was going to be a sushi place!!!
Hurray!

Comments

• That is interesting ... we just profiled this place on Nostrand Park the other day. They are applying for a liquor license:

http://nostrandpark.com/2010/10/29/new-liquor-license-requests-in-the-crown/

Let's see what happens. It is right around the corner from the new coffee shop that is supposed to open soon. We'll see what unfolds.
  • Hmmm, Sushi and Alcohol? Considering its location at the Crown Heights Bed-Stuy border.., wonder if Bed-Stuy will support it more?

I definitely will try it out at least once.
  • SnowboardQueen wrote: Hmmm, Sushi and Alcohol? Considering its location at the Crown Heights Bed-Stuy border.., wonder if Bed-Stuy will support it more?

I definitely will try it out at least once.
    Do you feel like Bed Stuy supports Sushi Tatsu more? They also have alcohol, and are even closer to Atlantic. I never thought many people travel south into CH to hang out.
  • crown heights sushi is an oxymoron. have fun gnawing on eel.
  • FYI - we confirmed it. Will be a sushi bar. Spoke with a property manager - http://nostrandpark.com/2010/11/01/a-sushi-bar-for-nostrand/
  • crown heights sushi is an oxymoron. have fun gnawing on eel.
    stay outta crown heights!!
  • Hopefully they won't be the kind of place that will sell you extra "garnish" if asked the right way.....
  • FYI -- looks like the sushi restaurant now has a name - Sakura Tokyo: (sorry for the quality - the pic was taken last night on a camera phone)

• Sakura Tokyo is now open! And I was the first customer. Rest assured I am in no way affiliated with this place just an excited neighbor. The menu is posted in the window. Its kind of like a Teriyaki Boy restaurant, lots of bento boxes, but they have noodles and soups and stuff. 10% off till Feb 10th. and they deliver. Please check it out. They are really nice.

• But, how was the food?

• And do they accept credit cards? It's such a rarity on Nostrand!

• Food was good for first day. Is it the most excellent? No, but it is local and there is the guy right there making it fresh. They deliver and do credit cards. This is not your typical sit down ambient, Japanese restaurant but its great for lunch, take out and convenient.

• Credit cards - yes! Delivery yes! convenient, local, eager to please, real Japanese. Not your typical sit down ambient place, but good regular stuff.

• Hey tsarina, I just checked it out and would have basically said the same thing. It is a good, solid meal - the place is worthy of local patronage, though it is not likely to be a "destination" restaurant. Really liked the shumai .

The seating is scant, and the flourescent-ish lighting could be softer to improve the "feel".

• Anyone have a pic or link to a menu?

• One thing though - the food is prepared in the back - not in front where you can see what is going on. Feel like normally with Japanese restaurants they let you see what is going on and how the food is being prepared.

• My spouse and I picked up there last night and found the food to be decently solid. We enjoyed it. Thankfully, in my opinion, loads better that Sushi Tatsu. We had three rolls and fried tofu. The total with 10% off was $24.00. They just opened so we harbored no fear of spoiled food. :wink: I will continue to patronize, and I hope others will too! High turn over translates into fresh fish!

• if you want good sushi Nobu is the place

• Where is that on Nostrand?

• if you want good sushi Nobu is the place

I think only pawn shop entrepreneurs can afford that. Not people who live on Nostrand.

• Nostrandpark,

This sushi place seems to be part of a surge of development we are getting around the Nostrand LIRR stop.

The Best Western (?) hotel, and some other new construction comes to mind.

I predict a lot of these businesses are working off the hope that a lot of people will stay locally to patronize the Barclay's Center events. I predict a few more hotels on Atlantic, given it is zoned for mid rises now.

It amazed me when they built a hotel at the East New York stop!

SnowboardQ,

I couldn't find a link to a menu online yet, but between this and Sids one can now eat at a few places on Nostrand without getting served from a steam table!

• the food to be decently solid

not trying to be a hater, but this description of sushi scares me.

• I hope they're right. I spent a year studying these types of projects and almost all fail to deliver the spillover or financial benefits that people expect, especially in businesses located as far away from the site as Nostrand. I think Washington will be the cut off point for increased business due to arena traffic and even that's pusshing it.

• I think the Nostrand LIRR stop might benefit if they get more hotels.

Conference presenter type folks could fly into JFK, take the air train to Jamaica then stay at the Nostrand LIRR Best Western and eat "solid" sushi.

It's only a theory, time will tell.

I agree ...these big developments exaggerate their potential positive impact in order to get the tax dollars and the zoning approvals they want.

[those opposed exaggerate the potential traffic impacts, etc].

....regardless, the thing is getting built. If I get choices besides steam table fare out of the deal, that is a mitigating factor.

• Nostrand is way too far away from both Jamaica and NYC to get the conference presenter types, unless the conferences are going to be held at the arena in which case, you'd probably stay at the 4th Ave hotels instead.

Jamaica is having a problem developing itself as an end of Airtrain destination. Nostrand is only ever going to be a neighborhood destination with a small hotel or two that caters to visiting family and friends (think wedding parties, graduations, family reunions, etc.) and the occassional "I'm really working hard to save my business money" business traveler. I don't see the Barclay's Center changing that unless the Nets REALLY take off and become a sucessful franchise which past history doesn't really support.

All that to say, sushi for those of us that live close enough. My question is when does the Thai food show?

• We've actually spoken with the GM of the new Best Western on Atlantic, and he says that most of the visitors that he's seen thus far (we spoke with him about 2 months ago) are Europeans and many end up exploring the local area with no qualms. There are definitely opportunities here. Smart businesses on Nostrand Avenue and Crown Heights more broadly, with its proximity to the various transportation options and also the hotel, are uniquely positioned to capitalize.

• I think all of Brooklyn is presently under-hoteled.

I expect to see a lot more of them, especially on the previously industrial (but still ugly...) strips where people are willing to stay, but not buy a condo: Atlantic. 4th Ave. Etc.

• Well, the food is solid. Considering the only Sushi I eat is cooked, salmon skin or eel rolls, I can not comment on the truly raw fish.

The prices are incredibly reasonable.., which may or may not be a particularly good point. It may drive business to the location, or it may make one question the ingredients.

The service is friendly, I just wish the silverware wasnt plastic.

I'm just happy they serve more than sushi. I had the Chichimec teriyaki and an eel roll. Not Znana's on 5th Ave, but better than the sushi joint on Franklin in my opinion.

• they about to open a kosher sushi place

• Sticking to the topic of "Sushi on Nostrand", Brownstoner contains some comments from posters who don't post on Brooklynian.

....sounds like people are going to give it a try

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/2011/01/sushi_opens_on.php#comments

• I ordered from here a few days ago and I liked it and will order again! The black pepper tuna appatizer was particularly excellent. As for the miso soup, seaweed salad and maki rolls, I am still undecided as to which is better ; here or sushi tatsu. I need to try the hot food from here and some special maki to decide. It was hella cheaper than sushi tatsu though so they definitely have that going for them. They do not, however make spicy tuna naruto so that one goes to tatsu. I was kind of surprised to see a horrible review on menupages but then realized it must be sushi tatsu writing it lol.

• I can see that a lot of Europeans are checking out our n'hood. I just learned that a French couple bought the nice house on my block.

But also I hear a lot of talk on the street about the stadium being a draw for business and travel visits. The owner of the old Black Lady who lives in Akron OH was telling how much the stadium was going to improve the area. I mean, if Akron has it figured out.........

• The sushi here is pretty terrible, but it is really inexpensive as well. Sushi Tatsu is bad too, but what makes it not as terrible is that at least they use better rice. I'll stick to Tatsu when I want decent cheap rolls, but if you want actual sushi, or dare I say sashimi, leave Crown Heights.

If you are in range, Taro is the place to order from (although on Flatbush, they deliver as far as Franklin and possibly further east). Gen is excellent sushi too, but they take forever to deliver, are overpriced, and have this weird, elitist? attitude.

• @ Pittie City - hmm, I thought something was "odd" with the rice on my roll also.

I'm not a big rice consumer and actually thought there was not much difference in white rice. I had a brown rice roll once, and it was a logistics nightmare.

The white rice on the roll from the Nostrand Ave Sushi place, I vaguely remember as seeming not to "stick together". I thought it was perhaps the material/seaweed? used to form the actual roll.

What do you think of the actual sushi used? Did you find that to be of equal quality as the rice?

I think I had a Salmon Skin roll, and to me, it's hard to go wrong with cooked fish skin.

• On a side note, just got a mini tour by the owners of the bistro that is being built next door to the sushi place. Still work to do, but enough is done that you can tell it is going to be VERY nice. The owners are still waiting on the liquor license. Possibly opening by March...

• On a side note, just got a mini tour by the owners of the bistro that is being built next door to the sushi place. Still work to do, but enough is done that you can tell it is going to be VERY nice. The owners are still waiting on the liquor license. Possibly opening by March...

• I especially enjoy learning of new businesses on Nostrand without having to go to the CD8 mtg (no offense CD8!)

• I especially enjoy learning of new businesses on Nostrand without having to go to the CD8 mtg (no offense CD8!)

• Ah yeah Anthonys spot gonna be hot!

• Ah yeah Anthonys spot gonna be hot!

• @ nofay - We're all waiting! Any work activity going on? It looks so quiet from the outside.

• @ nofay - We're all waiting! Any work activity going on? It looks so quiet from the outside.

• Girl, I have no idea I am just waiting like the rest of you and just know it will be the bomb once it is open, whenever that is...

• Girl, I have no idea I am just waiting like the rest of you and just know it will be the bomb once it is open, whenever that is...

• I found some additional details on this place from some interviews online, sounds pretty cool. Anyone know if this was originally going to go into the space next to Ms. Dahlia's a few blocks up? Looks like there is an active liquor license for NoBar at that location (95 Halsey, corner of Nostrand) but a new application next to the sushi place. Will there be 2 bars or is this a transfer of the current license to the new space? Anyone know?

Here are some additional details of what he's been planning that I found:

"I modeled it around late 1800s France right before the art nouveau movement," Mr. Mackie said. "They had all these beautiful craftsman bars. Every time you went into a pub or lounge, it wasn't about the chairs or the music, it was about the bar, so I took five months and got some really nice wood and built me a bar. It's going to be called No Bar. That's the working name, but it might change." from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703748904575411583543315968.html?mod=rss_newyork_main

and also:

Details: What are you building next?

Anthony Mackie: I’m opening a bar in Brooklyn called NoBar, and it’s just a really cool, low-key place where you can have a good drink. I think a lot of bars in New York have lost a level of discretion. The music is so loud and there are so many people and the drinks are so expensive you can’t really enjoy yourself. Mine is going to have a late-1800s rustic French style—you know, before everything became slick and contemporary. Everything is wood and handmade, and there’s a beautiful walnut-and-mahogany pool table.

from http://www.details.com/celebrities-entertainment/movies-and-tv/201009/anthony-mackie-hurt-locker-new-project#ixzz0x8CrwTD7

• I found some additional details on this place from some interviews online, sounds pretty cool. Anyone know if this was originally going to go into the space next to Ms. Dahlia's a few blocks up? Looks like there is an active liquor license for NoBar at that location (95 Halsey, corner of Nostrand) but a new application next to the sushi place. Will there be 2 bars or is this a transfer of the current license to the new space? Anyone know?

Here are some additional details of what he's been planning that I found:

"I modeled it around late 1800s France right before the art nouveau movement," Mr. Mackie said. "They had all these beautiful craftsman bars. Every time you went into a pub or lounge, it wasn't about the chairs or the music, it was about the bar, so I took five months and got some really nice wood and built me a bar. It's going to be called No Bar. That's the working name, but it might change." from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703748904575411583543315968.html?mod=rss_newyork_main

and also:

Details: What are you building next?

Anthony Mackie: I’m opening a bar in Brooklyn called NoBar, and it’s just a really cool, low-key place where you can have a good drink. I think a lot of bars in New York have lost a level of discretion. The music is so loud and there are so many people and the drinks are so expensive you can’t really enjoy yourself. Mine is going to have a late-1800s rustic French style—you know, before everything became slick and contemporary. Everything is wood and handmade, and there’s a beautiful walnut-and-mahogany pool table.

from http://www.details.com/celebrities-entertainment/movies-and-tv/201009/anthony-mackie-hurt-locker-new-project#ixzz0x8CrwTD7

• Basically, he is building something that is the polar opposite of Q's?

• Basically, he is building something that is the polar opposite of Q's?

• @Ben, nofay, and SBQ

Mackie was originally going to open NoBar further on Nostrand with the owner of Ms. Dahlia's. That fell through, so he is now opening NoBar a few blocks up in our neck of the woods. There will only be one location.

He says that "NoBar" is short for Nostrand and also New Orleans, where he is from. Good stuff. When he did a presentation at the community board meeting a couple of months ago, he showed us the menu, and some sketches of the place. He indicated that a celebrity chef is creating the menu.

I ran into him and his partner last night while they were doing some work on the place, and they were kind enough to let me get a sneak peek. It is really coming along quite nicely, though there is still work to be done. Also, they still need to finalize the liquor license. He said that hopefully by March things will be squared away.

I'm personally excited because this just really dovetails with the idea behind our whole "Destination Nostrand" initiative - to promote the businesses on Nostrand. When you have someone of his celebrity invest in a corridor that has generally been written off, it underscores a point that we harp on all the time - that there are so many under appreciated jewels in this neighborhood. Hopefully this will really energize the local residents and business community!

• Looks like the Best Western at Nostrand is getting an upgrade: http://www.prlog.org/11359740-best-western-arena-hotel-in-brooklyn-becomes-best-western-plus.html ... from Best Western, to Best Western plus.

Looks like the proximity to the arena is already paying dividends...

Interesting turn of events seeing how before the project was built, some people (read: haters) were speculating that because of the location it would be a seedy motel.

• THAT'S WHAT'S UP!!

• Where is NoBar opening? Is it open? I can't wait to check it out.

• I don't think it is open yet. 608 Nostrand.

this page has some photos

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NoBar-BKNY/126496070742609?sk=wall

• NoBar now has an awning ...

Clean looking, but maybe too discreet? Reminds me of the Breukelen Coffeehouse's signage. Lots of empty space that could be used to promote the name of the establishment...

This discussion has been closed.