gueros opens on 09/07/11 - Brooklynian

gueros opens on 09/07/11

Its finally open! tonite was opening nite, tacos, chips and salsa, quesadillas, beers and margaritas. Had 4 tacos (I'm large). and 3 sample margaritas. No claim to authentic mexican food, but it was very tasty and great quality ingredients. While you are waiting for a table at that other place, you can down a few tacos and drinks. No I'm not shilling, I am only a neighborhood eater. Check it out and give your opinion.

Comments

• Hey Tsarina,

What's the address?

• its the old Oaxaca place on prospect ,just west of Franklin.

• I went here last night. The margaritas were tasty and I liked that they used fresh juice. The food was good but I felt like the prices were quite high for what they offered. And unfortunately they don't have anything very usual that would make you go there instead of Chavela's. It would be nice if they had something a little different. But the place is really cute and well decorated. I really want them to do well there but I think with the prices that high and Chavela's down the street they are going to have a tough time.

• I agree. I went there a few days ago, and found the tacos to be small. A meal requires 2 tacos, and at $3.50 each, my meal came out to be around $10 once soda and tax were included.

The food was ok, but not particularly good.

If I was looking for more quantity, similar atmosphere and the ability to easily get a a seat, I could have gone to the place on Washington with the little skulls on the wall.

While Chavela's is yummy and reasonably priced, I will let others wait in that line.

• I wonder if they did any homework on why Oaxaca went out of business. Haven't been in, but the menu looks identical to Oaxaca. Plus booze. Maybe that will keep them going.

• been there twice. Food pretty good, menu set up is absolutely phucked. To get 2 tacos a drink and chips 20 bucks? Get some combo deals or plates of food. 1 taco w single tortilla for 4 dollars, wtf? They only dispense tequila in margis? why go to all the trouble of getting legal liquor and then not sell it?

Deep fryer and no rolled tacos? They fixed all the things that were wrong w Oaxaca, but come on less than 10 things on the menu..open at 3 close at 11.

• Stopped in for dinner.

- Very friendly staff -- the guy behind the bar is the owner of the art gallery on Grand and St. Marks.

- Great margarita made with freshly squeezed juice - delicious.

- Good tacos, good nachos -- the beans were good, but a bowl of beans with no rice is a bit weird to me.

- In-house made margaritas from scratch, in-house made flour tortillas, fresh veggies/fruits, naturally raised meats (corn tortillas are made daily in Queens and brought in each morning).

- There are tables and chairs and a bar to sit at -- I got my food to go but had a drink while I waited. It was a nice space.

- They take credit cards and are on seamless web.

- My only problem was that the food isn't cheap. There should be something like "tacos are $3.50 each or 3 for $10" - something like that would be nice. It's not that much more expensive than Chavelas and I did think the tacos were amazingly good - but as a take-out type of place, have to make sure people are willing to spend the money. I'm not saying they should be cheap, but just something to keep in mind.

• They open at three? I saw breakfast tacos on the menu, but that's not very exciting if they don't open until three. That can't be right, when do they open?

I'm assuming not before eight which is when it would be useful on weekdays to have a breakfast tacos stop, but I realize that's not a likely business decision for them to make.

• Initial yelp reviews are very positive: http://www.yelp.com/biz/gueros-brooklyn

The management is very friendly and from the neighborhood (they run Fountain Studios on Grand Ave.)They are also into social responsibility: meats and other ingredients are locally sourced (which may partially explain the prices) and they compost all their trash, including their (biodegrable) disposable cups and forks. I would encourage people posting suggestions/gripes on this board to share it with the couple running the store, as I'm sure they are open to neighborhood suggestions.

Chekhovian, I believe breakfast tacos are only on the weekends.

• Hopefully they do something about that bench sitting outside their restaurant IF it's still there. The few times I walked by before they officially opened it attracted loitering and tons of litter. That's not really ideal or particularly safe for people entering the apartment building next door, especially since that isn't the most well lit corner after the stores close.

It's a beautifully made bench, though! If I had a garden and the space I would definitely want the contact information for the carpenter.

• Went back again tonight. While not cheap -- $38 -- my husband and I both left with a buzz from our 20oz. margaritas, and full (from our 2 tacos each and our shared chips with queso). I must say, as a lady who loves her cheesy fat food, their chips with queso was delish.

Also, I agree with the above bench comment. I was meeting my husband there after work and he asked where it was. I said "The old Oaxoca space ... and if you can't find that, look for the benches full of homeless men throwing food to pigeons". And it was true.

• enough w the niceness factor for the bench, get a little sign or router and put for "customers only", the homeless thing was not charming even at the beginning.Soon people will fear to enter because of bedbugs, same w you Eve's. There is a homeless fest at both places before you open and then the gate goes up and the broom comes out. The image of that guy picking his toes on your bench doesn't just get swept away,after seeing his feet I may stop going to Bombay Masala also.

• I like the bench -- but will think twice about it for fear of errant bed bugs and fungus-filled toe nails. It takes too long to get your food from this place. I went and saw all of these longdrawn out faces. But for the insistence of my partner wanting to try it, I would not have ventured inside:

Me -- those people have been waiting forever, you can tell

She -- C'mon, let's try it.

Me -- I really don't want to

She -- C'mon.

I relent.

25 minutes later and too much money poorer we leave. When I look at what she ordered, it was hard to conceive it could have taken that long to make it. I could order a feast in Happy Wok and it wouldn't take that long. The food is too pricey, it takes too long to get it, and I am not going to sit on that bench ever again.

• MHA-

I agree with you, and encourage you to try the mexican place on Washington.

-Huge portions

-california style mexican

-no wait

-Cheap.

-little plastic skulls glued to the wall.

It is located by the Thai place.

• It takes too long to get your food from this place. I went and saw all of these longdrawn out faces. But for the insistence of my partner wanting to try it, I would not have ventured inside:

Me -- those people have been waiting forever, you can tell

She -- C'mon, let's try it.

Me -- I really don't want to

She -- C'mon.

I relent.

25 minutes later and too much money poorer we leave. When I look at what she ordered, it was hard to conceive it could have taken that long to make it. I could order a feast in Happy Wok and it wouldn't take that long. The food is too pricey, it takes too long to get it, and I am not going to sit on that bench ever again.

Really? I almost felt the opposite -- I was only a few bites into m app. and a few sips into my drink before our tacos were here .. Although I saw a clear difference between "to-go" and "to-stay" orders on speed. People who ordered first but to go got left behind those who ordered to stay.... But I've gotten food both ways. Quicker to order to stay -- but sometimes you just want to go home...

• I still haven't tried this place, but I will echo most others here that the "bench situation" is a really negative one. That's horrendous for business.

It seems the general consensus is that the food is okay-to-good, but overpriced for the portions. I think I'd rather just wait it out at Chavella's and have excellent food for less. Guero's 20 oz. margaritas sound enticing, but Chavella's has them on tap! I mean, c'mon, that's awesome! I'd rather chill at the bar with a drink, chatting up Ariel.

• The Invisible Lines said:

I still haven't tried this place, but I will echo most others here that the "bench situation" is a really negative one. That's horrendous for business.

Guero's 20 oz. margaritas sound enticing, but Chavella's has them on tap! I mean, c'mon, that's awesome! I'd rather chill at the bar with a drink, chatting up Ariel.

Not sure what "on tap" means -- I mean, at Gueros they hand squeeze the fruits and mix agave tequila right in and have a large glass container with a spicket at the bottom to pour out the drinks on the rocks and a machine that constantly swirls (like a slushie machine?) for frozen ones.

Anyway, I'm not shill - just a fan of their food. And after ordering after a long day from work from Maya's on Vanderbilt, I noticed that our food price per person was the same as at Gueros. So take that for whatever.

This discussion has been closed.