Glee’s Mike Chang is Finally Getting a Pair of Parents on the Show — Brooklynian

Glee’s Mike Chang is Finally Getting a Pair of Parents on the Show

This one is for Armchair.

This a good blog, you should read it.

http://colorlines.com/archives/2011/09/glees_mike_chang_is_finally_getting_a_pair_of_parents_on_the_show.html

Mike Chang, an Asian American actor who plays a supporting character on the hit sitcom Glee, is getting a set of parents on the show. Tamlyn Tomita (The Joy Luck Club) and Keong Sim (The Last Airbender) will play mom and dad to Mike, played by Harry Shum Jr.

harry-green_glee.jpgThe annual Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) diversity report, Where We Are on TV 2010-2011, found that for the past five television seasons, Asian and Pacific Islander (API) actors were only given about 4 percent of roles on TV.

Comments

• never watch it or care for it, hell i want more Asians in sci and nerdy shows, that should be alot more Asians :p but so far rare.

Whats up with the big bang theory being very gay, i mean have these people been around actual nerds and geeks? they are all so gay. I don't watch the show. First time i saw the show, i was like hmm a whole show about bunch of gay guys :p. then oh the name of the show haha suppose to be nerds.

• My point wasn't about this particular show. But how the blog is pointing out the same thing you frequently do: Asians are underrepresented in movies & media.

• asian girls do fine in media.

since white man lust over them all the time and for their own inadequacies.

Asian males on the other hand totally different story.

• I don't agree.

Asian girls more often than not are presented as passive and sexual, as opposed to, you know, regular human being characters.

There are more of them maybe, but their stereotype is awful.

• point is they at least get representation, better than nothing. Plus many buy into the stereotyping anyway by only dating white man LOL.

This discussion has been closed.