Shout out for THIRSTBARAVIN amazing rest and winebar - slow on foot traffic - Brooklynian

Shout out for THIRSTBARAVIN amazing rest and winebar - slow on foot traffic

ThirstbaraVin is the most amazing restaurant in Crown Heights - pate, cailletes (home made sausage mixed with and sage) , watercress soups, chocolate pot of creme worth stopping by alone. Never mention the wine. Always ask the owners for pairings and selections and you will not be disappointed.

However the owners mentioned the other day that foot traffic is slow and they may need to "reassess...!"

Their location is in a rather bleak part of Classon off Pacific. Looks like a garage from the outside. So cool. But maybe this hidden gem is a bit too hidden. So I want to give a shout out to all the newbies in the nabe. My parents loved it too. Open Tues through Sat for dinner...

and I am not affiliated in any way with the establishment. I just love great food - and I am a foodie. And Ive found nothing else like it in Brooklyn -- or Manhattan to be honest.

• Thanks for the reminder. Been meaning to go for a while now -- we'll try get out there this week.

• Seconded, wr! Have been a couple times since it opened last year. Food is to die for and the wines are always a pleasing adventure.

Blow someone's mind by walking them over to the desolate corner of Pacific and Classon without telling them where you're headed; the reveal is always amazing.

The couple who opened the place deserves your business for being urban pioneers - if not for the great food and vino.

Hopefully they can hang on until Johnathan Butler's $30M "creative hub" opens just down the block on Dean St next year!

• It is a wonderful restaurant with great people running it, and I certainly hope it stays in business. However, I can't imagine that location having sufficient "foot traffic" for the foreseeable future. If they reopened on Washington or Franklin, however, there would be a line to get in, as with Bar Corvo.

• Been there twice and it is wonderful. Food is fabulous and the wines were excellent. I don't know wine too well but their recommendations were extremely good. This place is a jewel!

• I found that place wildly underwhelming, overpriced, out of place, and oddly quiet and awkward inside. The owners were sort of strange.

• They should definitely do something to make it less "hidden". I have driven by a few times and I haven't found it yet (granted, I was driving, so I didn't get a chance to stop and take a close look, but I was LOOKING FOR IT). Maybe it would get more traffic if people could actually find it.

I will give it another try.

• This is a very nice place, but it is so far outside my usual sphere that I rarely go. I agree that if they were on one of the commercial avenues, they would do much better.

• tpaperny said:

I found that place wildly underwhelming, overpriced, out of place, and oddly quiet and awkward inside. The owners were sort of strange.

Ok, so we went. And it was exactly as tpaperny said.

The food was mostly good. Not amazing, but good. It was interesting, and it gave us some ideas for serving at our own table. (We're not big mayo fans, for instance, and it never occurred to us that we could make it delicious if we made it ourselves). We enjoyed the beef tartar, the spinach soup, the salad, some olives, and a nice rose. The dessert, an upside-down cake, was completely skippable. You could do better dessert-wise at Pulp and Bean.

The main problem is that this was just not nearly $127 worth of deliciousness (excluding tip!) We could have had three courses each at Bar Corvo for less than that, not had to deal with the quirks of the establishment, and gone home without any regrets.

• If they can hold on for another year, they should be ok.

....more condos are coming on line, and the residents may be willing to trek to Thirst for a expensive meal, in part, to avoid the lines that are present at so many local, high end restaurants.

I wouldn't call it a sure thing, or a sound business plan, but stranger things have happened.

• I hope you're right. I think more business would slough off some of the awkwardness, which I think is a bit of a problem. I've been there a couple of times with mr. lambchop and every time it has been a different but always slightly strange experience. Almost French in their willingness to ignore customers, and so much familiarity with regulars that it is off-putting. I get why regulars count more, but ideally sitting next to regulars should make one want to be a regular. Here, it meant being subjected to a 10-minute long conversation between some diners and their server about adopting feral cats and their various odors while we tried to enjoy our food and our wine glasses were empty. I go back occasionally because it's interesting and tasty, including some cool wines.. But it would be hard for me to recommend it to friends, take my parents there, or make it a special occasion place. And it seems to me they need that kind of reliability at their price point, even with a good knot of loyal regulars.

• "Slightly strange" is a very apt choice of words. We have never been mistreated, but every time we go there we've felt as though we're crashing a private party. For that reason, we've never stayed long enough to try the food (The Hill Cafe usually gets those honors).

• My veterinarian just gave this place a big thumbs up. I hope to check it our soon.

• Fast forward to May 2013:

With 1000 Dean St opening in the fall, and lots of buildings being renovated (and changing hands) on Classon, Dean and Pacific, this place seems to have a solid business plan:

-Focus on its loyal customers (many of whom seem to be in the wine trade), and wait.

Isn't hindsight great?

• Actually, the last time I walked by, they had turned the space into a cafe.

• Yes, they seem to do dinners only on occasion now.

Thier facebook page (above) talks about people spending the morning with them.

• With places like Bar Corvo and Mayfield around, I would be surprised if they did not retreat from the dinner scene. could serve as a nearby, quiet LUNCH oasis for people who came to see the fancy antiques at 1000 Dean, but don't want to be part of the Smorgasborg scene.

• I had dinner there a while ago, and found the service to be very weird and cold. Also it was very expensive, and didn't really seem worth it. Haven't been back since.

• the food is impeccable and made with the finest locally sourced ingredients. their wine is fabulous and (oh let me search for the words) natural, they can describe why their wines are special better than I. hence the cost. quality costs money. I've had some of the best meals of my life there.

• July 19, 2013. The last of the restaurant equipment was removed today, and will be sold to the highest bidder.

• It's no more a loss than Abigail's.

• As a result of 1000 Dean St coming soon, it would not surprise me if they closed due to a combination of lack of business and a LL that wanted a new, more expensive lease.

The location might make a nice antique store. Sell stuff like they show on the TV show "American Pickers"....

• They might have gotten more business if the food was better, the prices lower, and the service less erratic.

The same combination of problems sunk Abigail's.

• I loved thirstbaravin. They had the most amazing food, really thoughtful food and quality ingredients. And the wine was great. Now I just go to their store Thirst in Forte Greene when I want quality wines. They introduced me to a Cava that is as good as any champagne....

• Obviously, you loved it. You started this thread.

Unfortunately for Thirstbaravin, you were in the minority.

• 629 Classon Avenue (corner of Pacific) when it was Thirstbarvin

Soon, it will be something different, and look different.

• The location might make a nice antique store. Sell stuff like they show on the TV show "American Pickers"....

Here he goes... wild speculation and zero knowledge of anything biz related...

• Whynot_32-

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

What variety of business do you think would do well there, and why?

• The Daily News featured this corner in a series of retrospective photos published on Aug 8, 2013. I felt it was kind of fun, being that the area significantly changing AT THE MOMENT, and I linked the above photo recently:

Pacific St. and Classon Ave. in Brooklyn, N.Y.

The corner of Classon Ave. and Pacific St. got some serious action on July 28, 1957 when a stolen car crashed into a light pole. Strangely enough, the car was allegedly stolen by a boy released from the Brooklyn House of Detention. The boy was initially detained on car theft charges. The corner still looks the same, though new green street signs hang above the scene of the accident.

This discussion has been closed.