Applaud? Smite? Karma?! — Brooklynian

Applaud? Smite? Karma?!

edited 3:46PM in Site Issues
What up with that?!

(Edit - under your post count/avatar/mini profile...)

Comments

• If somebody deserves applause, you applaud them.
    If somebody deserves smiting, you smite them.
    You have to wait awhile after you applaud/smite before you can do so again (moderators do not have this limitation).
  • Ah! And is the karma +/- tally based on applaud/smite?
  • sooooo.....how do i decide if a post deserves a star or if the person posting deserves kudos?

i'm confused. :?
  • Exactly, it's a way of showing someone's usefulness on the boards that goes beyond post count. So if someone is helpful or says something you think is well-said, you can applaud them, rather than posting "thanks" or "me too"; if you think someone is being unproductive, you can smite them...

Thanks for finding this mod, dailyheights!

ETA: It may also encourage lurkers to register, as you can't applaud or smite without being logged in.
  • A smiting we will go!
    A smiting we will go!
    Hi-ho the derry-o!
    A smiting we will go!

Just kidding!
    (unless they really deserve it)
  • EmilyM wrote: Exactly, it's a way of showing someone's usefulness on the boards that goes beyond post count. So if someone is helpful or says something you think is well-said, you can applaud them, rather than posting "thanks" or "me too"; if you think someone is being unproductive, you can smite them...

Thanks for finding this mod, dailyheights!

ETA: It may also encourage lurkers to register, as you can't applaud or smite without being logged in.
    soooo, i'm still confused. how is this different than rating a post???
  • Because the post's rating is only attached to the post itself--if I went and posted right now on the Park Slope board, you'd have no idea whether any of my posts had been rated on the Prospect Heights board. But the karma thing is a running count, like post count. If I posted on another board, my karma would the same as it is here.

Hope that makes sense.
  • "Karma" is similar, but has a "negative vote" option, unlike the "rate this post" option. Unfortunately, Karma applies only to users, not posts, so you can't determine which posts have the most Karma (I think).
  • EmilyM wrote: Because the post's rating is only attached to the post itself--if I went and posted right now on the Park Slope board, you'd have no idea whether any of my posts had been rated on the Prospect Heights board. But the karma thing is a running count, like post count. If I posted on another board, my karma would the same as it is here.

Hope that makes sense.
    But if I click on a person's "Profile", I can see which posts by that person have been rated AND which posts they've rated themselves.
  • Brookfetish,

Democracy is messy.

:)

Just noticed another big problem with Karma. There is no way to tell why you are getting applauded or smited. If you suddenly get 10 negative votes, you have no way of checking where, when, or how the votes happened. If you get a good vote, there's likewise no way to tell why.

Probably the best solution is to delete Karma and add "rate this post" points to the username display to the left. We lose the "negative" aspect of Karma, but at least the people not contributing anything of value will not be rewarded and their "rated" count will remain low.

Just testing. This is all just beta, you know...
  • dailyheights wrote: Brookfetish,

Democracy is messy.

Just noticed another big problem with Karma. There is no way to tell why you are getting applauded or smited. If you suddenly get 10 negative votes, you have no way of checking where, when, or how the votes happened. If you get a good vote, there's likewise no way to tell why.

Probably the best solution is to delete Karma and add "rate this post" points to the username display to the left. We lose the "negative" aspect of Karma, but at least the people not contributing anything of value will not be rewarded and their "rated" count will remain low.

I think we should see how the current system is for a week or so before switching to post rating instead of karma. You may not know which specific posts your rating comes from, but that's what karma's all about. It all evens out in the end. [-o<
  • But does the post rating system give any way to sum up the ratings cumulatively? I know you can find it by going to the profile, but that seems like a lot of trouble to go to, unless you're really curious.

I actually like karma better than post rating because I think a lot of posts here have a sort of expiration date--they aren't really relevant after a while, because we post so much about what's happening outside my window right now. As long as it isn't abused, I think rating contributors rather than posts makes more sense.

While, in theory, you can't tell why you're getting karma points, in practice you can probably guess, unless you do a LOT of posting all at once. Like I would attribute all of my karma points this morning to helpful explanations of the karma system, because this is the only place I've posted.
  • Does anyone else notice that I'm the only one on this thread without a karma rating? :cry:
  • Oh no! Someone smote you! Maybe I should applaud you, I don't think you deserve negative karma!
  • BrookFetish wrote: Does anyone else notice that I'm the only one on this thread without a karma rating? :cry:
    Wow...that got me a negative rating. Brutal.
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=dailyheights]Brookfetish,

Democracy is messy.

I think we should see how the current system is for a week or so before switching to post rating instead of karma. You may not know which specific posts your rating comes from, but that's what karma's all about. It all evens out in the end. [-o<
    Someone said "give karma a chance..."
    Agreed, Carni - I like the negative aspect of karma, and it doesn't seem as if you can go too nuts on the applause/smite, so I don't think that anyone is going to see a drastic drop unless they're blatantly trying to piss people off or be counter-productive.

What are the limits to the applause/smite? I tried to applaud two different users a minute or so apart, but no go... I was thinking that the time limit would only apply to multiple attempts on a single user... :?
  • It would also be cool if the memberlist could be sorted (ascending or descending) by karma.
  • EmilyM wrote: But does the post rating system give any way to sum up the ratings cumulatively?
    Yes! The rating system has a "total points" variable for each user. The trick is just to find the code, copy it, and paste it on the template page that generates the username space to the left of the posts. (<-- over there)
    EmilyM wrote: I actually like karma better than post rating because I think a lot of posts here have a sort of expiration date--they aren't really relevant after a while, because we post so much about what's happening outside my window right now. As long as it isn't abused, I think rating contributors rather than posts makes more sense.
    Actually, wouldn't what I described above be the best of both worlds? We could (a) rate posts, which is relevant in the short term, and (b) rate users (by cumulative posts rated), which is relevant in the long term.

Also, I love the idea of "smiting" but I think it has the potential to backfire...
  • i just try to smite myself for fun and it doesnt work :(.
  • lol man i must be the most hated person on this board ;). i got 4 negative already!! keep em coming.
  • Does the person with the most negative karma get a fun reward like a week's banning or something? :evil:
  • Candicissima wrote: Does the person with the most negative karma get a fun reward like a week's banning or something? :evil:
    lol if they banned me, the boards will be come very dull for a while.
  • question can one person give more than 1 negative or 1 postive to the same person over and over again?
  • I've gotten used to you, armchair, and will not be sending any smites your way. :P
  • armchair_warrior wrote: [quote=Candicissima]Does the person with the most negative karma get a fun reward like a week's banning or something? :evil:

Says you...
  • Candicissima wrote: [quote=armchair_warrior][quote=Candicissima]Does the person with the most negative karma get a fun reward like a week's banning or something? :evil:

Says you...

you could always try ;).
  • armchair_warrior wrote: question can one person give more than 1 negative or 1 postive to the same person over and over again?
    No, there should be a delay programmed in, but I don't know how long dailyheights set it to be.
  • Maybe each -25 increment in karma would be worth a week's banning, with -100 being "banned for life".

Can we have karma titles like the titles for post counts?
  • this will become another popularity contest .
  • Man, I take a muffin and library break and come back to see that everyone got busy with the smiting of AW! We need a realtime line graph under the avatar showing the changes in karma points!

By the way, AW, I'm going to give you some applause if only for the avatar!
  • WhyFi wrote: Man, I take a muffin and library break and come back to see that everyone got busy with the smiting of AW! We need a realtime line graph under the avatar showing the changes in karma points!

By the way, AW, I'm going to give you some applause if only for the avatar!
    lol thanks ;). atleast someone notices the new icon that i really dont care for it :P.

hey it takes talent to make this many people hate me ;).
  • just tested it out you can give someone + or - over and over again lol. maybe i'm not hated this much after all. probably the same guys or gals over and over again. damn.

i guess its not working :P. if everyone got 1 vote for each individual user than it be cool.
  • armchair_warrior wrote: just tested it out you can give someone + or - over and over again lol. maybe i'm not hated this much after all. probably the same guys or gals over and over again. damn.
    There is a time limit between votes, though. Not sure what that limit is, but you can't rattle off 43 smitings in a row.
  • there is a time limit. but its not that limited. ;) i already gave out alot of votes already. and tested 1 guy and gave him 2 positive.
  • publicity good or bad is always good ;). and i got 30 negative so far today yay. and not the end of the day yet :P.
  • Oh wow - just like a high school popularity contest - just like the prom, or the snow ball, or the big football dance. Wow- how cute and clever.
  • armchair_warrior wrote: hey it takes talent to make this many people hate me ;).
    Yeah "talent." That was just the word I was thinking...
  • armchair_warrior wrote: publicity good or bad is always good ;). and i got 30 negative so far today yay. and not the end of the day yet :P.
    Just keep in mind, that if we institute karma thresholds, you might have already earned a week's banning, and be well on your way to a lifetime banning. Maybe consider that not all publicity is good, and that it wouldn't be such a bad thing to try to earn yourself some goodwill around here.
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=armchair_warrior]publicity good or bad is always good ;). and i got 30 negative so far today yay. and not the end of the day yet :P.
    Just keep in mind, that if we institute karma thresholds, you might have already earned a week's banning, and be well on your way to a lifetime banning. Maybe consider that not all publicity is good, and that it wouldn't be such a bad thing to try to earn yourself some goodwill around here.

behonest with you, i dont care for the high school equivalent of a popularity contest. if i get banned i get banned.

my icon says it the best.

it takes about only 3 or 4 people to give me that many votes anyway. i already gave out like 6 myself to people already.

so these vote things doesnt really matter to me.
  • This is obviously a revolt of the palace guards :roll:

And a huge corruption of this quote...

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

It should now read . . .

"Never doubt that a small group of people can change this Board. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Glad we committed to anarchy and not locking down any Boards.
  • Livetotravel wrote: This is obviously a revolt of the palace guards :roll:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

It should now read . . .

"Never doubt that a small group of people can change this Board. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

i normally dont agree with you on many things :P but today. this is one of them. omg hell hath frozen over.

also damn who ever else got this much time on their hands besides me??? lol.
  • Livetotravel wrote: This is obviously a revolt of the palace guards :roll:

It should now read . . .

huh?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

there are definitely no policies in place w/r/t the "karma" points and, as has already been pointed out by the site admin, they are a pretty flawed "system" of judging anything accurately.
  • alafairnadia wrote: huh?

there are definitely no policies in place w/r/t the "karma" points and, as has already been pointed out by the site admin, they are a pretty flawed "system" of judging anything accurately.
    Right...until people start saying that he's well on his way to being banned because of the negative kudos he has tallied.
  • BrookFetish wrote: Right...until people start saying that he's well on his way to being banned because of the negative kudos he has tallied.
    I won't deny that I'd personally be super thrilled if he got banned. If the decision was up to me, he'd have disappeared long ago. But if the negative goodwill hasn't done him in by now, nothing probably ever will... :roll:
  • BrookFetish wrote: [quote=alafairnadia]huh?

Right...until people start saying that he's well on his way to being banned because of the negative kudos he has tallied.

I didn't know that Live To Travel was referring to the AW situation. if that's all he's referring to ... well, that's building a conspiracy theory where no conspiracy exists. it's pretty obvious that a lot of people don't like AW - there's no subterfuge to that at all.
  • These karma posts are probably ridiculous.

EDIT:: And, now, it's been a good 3-5 minutes since I've given someone a rating, and I still can't.
  • Candicissima wrote: I won't deny that I'd personally be super thrilled if he got banned. If the decision was up to me, he'd have disappeared long ago. But if the negative goodwill hasn't done him in by now, nothing probably ever will... :roll:
    Ouch! I will say this about AW - he doesn't translate well until you've met him. Once you get a better sense of who he is, his posts make more sense and he becomes more genuinely entertaining than anything else.

Okay, I'm gonna brace myself for the -142 karma hit! :wink:
  • alafairnadia wrote: [quote=BrookFetish][quote=alafairnadia]huh?

I didn't know that Live To Travel was referring to the AW situation. if that's all he's referring to ... well, that's building a conspiracy theory where no conspiracy exists. it's pretty obvious that a lot of people don't like AW - there's no subterfuge to that at all.

Look, I could personally care less about the subject or the inherent popularity-like contest it evokes - my only point is that the institution of the system seems arbitrarily contrived by a small group of people behaving in capricious, prococious, child-like ways. Does it make one feel more powerful and virile to actually be in a position to ban someone?

And besides, every now and then I kinda like being smote.
  • WhyFi wrote: Okay, I'm gonna brace myself for the -142 karma hit! :wink:
    hah. I'm losing karma points like mad for just saying what I said above. this is hilarious.
  • alafairnadia wrote: [quote=WhyFi]Okay, I'm gonna brace myself for the -142 karma hit! :wink:
    hah. I'm losing karma points like mad for just saying what I said above. this is hilarious.

I'm telling you! If we had a little line graph with the realtime tally, I'd alternate between useful and asshole just to see the spikes!
  • Livetotravel wrote: Look, I could personally care less about the subject or the inherent popularity-like contest it evokes - my only point is that the institution of the system seems arbitrarily contrived by a small group of people behaving in capricious, prococious, child-like ways. Does it make one feel more powerful and virile to actually be in a position to ban someone?

And besides, every now and then I kinda like being smote.
    I still don't know what system you're referring to - as said above, no policy by any site admin has been set w/r/t the karma points. right now, they're meaningless. and, given the comments by the site admin above, they're likely to remain meaningless and/or be deleted as a "feature".

and yes, anything implemented on the board is implemented by a small group of people. specifically, the site admins implement policies and systems and the moderators enforce them. given the discussion above, and, again, the comments of the site admin above, nothing is being done capriciously, precociously or in a child-like way. nothing has been done besides add a completely meaningless "karma" tabulator.
  • I bow to your patience and articulation.

Where does one vote for "Delete the capricious, child-like feature?"
  • Livetotravel wrote: And besides, every now and then I kinda like being smote.
    Just keep behind closed doors and were all good ;)
  • stacey wrote: [quote=Livetotravel]And besides, every now and then I kinda like being smote.

I so desperately try to, but sometimes the meds wear off. Is applauding oneself a masturbatory act?
  • Livetotravel wrote: [quote=stacey][quote=Livetotravel]And besides, every now and then I kinda like being smote.

I so desparately try to, but sometimes the meds wear off. Is applauding oneself a masturbatory act?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Livetotravel wrote: I so desperately try to, but sometimes the meds wear off. Is applauding oneself a masturbatory act?
    I guess so, but I've never seen anyone do it that way.
  • apollonia666 wrote: [quote=Livetotravel]I so desperately try to, but sometimes the meds wear off. Is applauding oneself a masturbatory act?
    I guess so, but I've never seen anyone do it that way.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
  • Livetotravel wrote: Look, I could personally care less about the subject or the inherent popularity-like contest it evokes - my only point is that the institution of the system seems arbitrarily contrived by a small group of people behaving in capricious, prococious, child-like ways.
    Except the mods aren't schoolyard bullies. We're the teachers trying to maintain order in the schoolyard. And when someone repeatedly and consistently misbehaves, despite multiple warnings, maybe that individual needs to spend recess indoors for a few days and think over how they've been acting.
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=Livetotravel]Look, I could personally care less about the subject or the inherent popularity-like contest it evokes - my only point is that the institution of the system seems arbitrarily contrived by a small group of people behaving in capricious, prococious, child-like ways.
    Except the mods aren't schoolyard bullies. We're the teachers trying to maintain order in the schoolyard. And when someone repeatedly and consistently misbehaves, despite multiple warnings, maybe that individual needs to spend recess indoors for a few days and think over how they've been acting.

"Way Too Incestial"
  • BrookFetish wrote: Right...until people start saying that he's well on his way to being banned because of the negative kudos he has tallied.
    Nobody said that.

Note the subjunctive:
    Carnivore wrote: Just keep in mind, that if we institute karma thresholds, you might have already earned a week's banning, and be well on your way to a lifetime banning.
    Or is it pluperfect subjunctive- EmilyM, a little help here? :-k
  • I'm not sure if it's interest in the new feature, but did anyone notice that we had an all-time high number of users at once today? 81 at 12:51 pm! :shock:
  • Carnivore wrote: I'm not sure if it's interest in the new feature, but did anyone notice that we had an all-time high number of users at once today? 81 at 12:51 pm! :shock:
    probably b/c of the dog thread? or the joyce bakeshop thread.
  • This thread reminds me of a drunken conversation I had back, oh, must have been '99. I was walking home down Park Drive (near Fenway for those of the you with the good fortune never to have lived in Boston) when some kid on a skateboard "rolled up" and asked me for a cigarette. Now, in my younger days, I was a bit of a nasty drunk, and I said no. He got pissed, skated off and yelled back, "Watch out-- karma's a bitch!" to which I replied, "Yeah, and it just bit you in the ass, didn't it?"

I am also pleased to see that all the D+D propaganda is starting to worm its way into the fabric of the board. Smite, indeed. My votes should count double for my +1 long sword (+2 against magic!).
  • pensodyssey wrote: Smite, indeed. My votes should count double for my +1 long sword (+2 against magic!).
    Look out for my granny cart +5 vorpal weapon!
  • There is a built-in time limit between EACH smite or applause you make. It is 10 minutes. It can be set for any time limit, from 0 seconds to 3600 seconds (60 minutes) or probably more.

No one is getting banned due to Karma. Karma has nothing to do with policing or schoolyarding or whatever. It's supposed to be a fun thing. Please have fun with it and stop taking it so seriously.
  • dailyheights wrote: No one is getting banned due to Karma. Karma has nothing to do with policing or schoolyarding or whatever. It's supposed to be a fun thing. Please have fun with it and stop taking it so seriously.
    Although if your karma IS really bad, you might want to ask yourself why. Or ask Buddha. Or Vishnu. Or something.
  • dailyheights wrote: There is a built-in time limit between EACH smite or applause you make. It is 10 minutes. It can be set for any time limit, from 0 seconds to 3600 seconds (60 minutes) or probably more.

You should set it so that everyone gets one, and only one, applaud or smite. THEN we would see what people really think!
  • pensodyssey wrote: [quote=dailyheights]There is a built-in time limit between EACH smite or applause you make. It is 10 minutes. It can be set for any time limit, from 0 seconds to 3600 seconds (60 minutes) or probably more.

You should set it so that everyone gets one, and only one, applaud or smite. THEN we would see what people really think!

thats what i'm talking about. cause some people abuse hte hell out of it :P. i know i have lol.
  • Not me - I trying to energize my shockras for more positivity
  • WhyFi wrote:
    I'm telling you! If we had a little line graph with the realtime tally, I'd alternate between useful and asshole just to see the spikes!
    Right. And then we need to set up derivatives trading, so we could hedge our karma futures before making a post.

Karma free zone here... not for long I suspect. Who was it who said "your karma ran over my dogma"?
  • Livetotravel wrote: Not me - I trying to energize my shockras for more positivity

That reminds me of the Toto yacht rock episode... "She said my chakra was my taint".
  • doctorj wrote: Who was it who said "your karma ran over my dogma"?
    I'm not sure - it might be a piece of bumpersticker wisdom whose origin is lost to the ages. But I think that "your dogma ran over my karma" is a much more appropriate motto for this new, unsolicited feature, although that itself is a somewhat dogmatic statement for which my karma rating will likely suffer.
  • dailyheights wrote: There is a built-in time limit between EACH smite or applause you make. It is 10 minutes. It can be set for any time limit, from 0 seconds to 3600 seconds (60 minutes) or probably more.

No one is getting banned due to Karma. Karma has nothing to do with policing or schoolyarding or whatever. It's supposed to be a fun thing. Please have fun with it and stop taking it so seriously.
    Come the Xmas holidays you should change applaud/smite to "gift/ lump of coal". For Passover: "milk and honey/bitter herbs".
  • armchair_warrior wrote: just tested it out you can give someone + or - over and over again lol. maybe i'm not hated this much after all. probably the same guys or gals over and over again. damn.

i guess its not working :P. if everyone got 1 vote for each individual user than it be cool.
    I like you armchair. I mean 90% of the time I have a hard time making sense of what you're saying, but you're A Okay with me. I'm gonna give you an applaud. Just don't let the glory get to your head.
  • Carnivore wrote: I'm not sure if it's interest in the new feature, but did anyone notice that we had an all-time high number of users at once today? 81 at 12:51 pm! :shock:
    Those are probably Google spiders.
  • Idlewild wrote: [quote=armchair_warrior]just tested it out you can give someone + or - over and over again lol. maybe i'm not hated this much after all. probably the same guys or gals over and over again. damn.

I like you armchair. I mean 90% of the time I have a hard time making sense of what you're saying, but you're A Okay with me. I'm gonna give you an applaud. Just don't let the glory get to your head.

thanks

/hugs

<3
  • Looks like there's a lotta love for Armchair out there after all.
  • I've seen a great deal of self-righteous indignation over this karma ranking which is essentially a pretty unimportant part of what goes on here. I post here because I like talking to folks who live in the area and getting other people's opinions about things. Don't care too much whether people like me or not, just as long as they are open to some semi-intelligent discourse, even if its about non-earth shattering topics like where to get a pedicure, or the best Cuban sandwich on this side of Flatbush. I'll admit to even being amused by Armchair once I got past the lack punctuation and the stream of consciousness thing.

So let the karma thing go on. If you don't think it is reflective of you, then ignore it. After all, its just the opinion of some miscellaneous, anonymous generic person that’s not going to change the world anyway.
  • armchair_warrior wrote: [quote=Idlewild][quote=armchair_warrior]just tested it out you can give someone + or - over and over again lol. maybe i'm not hated this much after all. probably the same guys or gals over and over again. damn.

thanks

/hugs

Don't touch me.

<3
  • You know what I'M not cool with?!?! The fact that when a mod recommends a post it's worth more stars than one of us Regular Joes recommends a post!!! WTF is up whit that?! DOWN WITH "THE MAN"!
  • armchair_warrior wrote: admins please get rid of this system.

i just got a pm from a person with zero post.

stating that "so i see you have signed in with another name and are erasing your bad karma points - very clever"

people are probably creating alts for giving or taking away these karma points.
    what a super lame thing to say. i gave you applause just cause that sucks, and i am announcing it, so that said lame-o person will know that not all of us think beat-up-on-armchair is a fun game.
  • sweet tea wrote: [quote=armchair_warrior]admins please get rid of this system.

stating that "so i see you have signed in with another name and are erasing your bad karma points - very clever"

what a super lame thing to say. i gave you applause just cause that sucks, and i am announcing it, so that said lame-o person will know that not all of us think beat-up-on-armchair is a fun game.

hehe i just deleted that post. cause i realise. it was meant as a pm from someone with zero post. hmmmm

i guess i'll paste it back here since it got quoted :P.

admins please get rid of this system.

• may i say, however, that the quality of this conversation compared with the congruent one on the PS board make me happy to live on this side of flatbush.
  • sweet tea wrote: may i say, however, that the quality of this conversation compared with the congruent one on the PS board make me happy to live on this side of flatbush.
    it did get a little bit "heated" over there hehe. guess your paying that much for a place i'll be up in the anger meter :P too.

but they are nice folks hehe. i hangout on that board much as this :).
  • anyway, i can't imagine how that would work, armchair -- when are you ever gone from the board for long enough to have signed in as someone else?
  • they just dont know me :P. i like to post under one name and cant leave posting alone!!! hehe.
  • looks like you're making a comeback anyway...
  • sweet tea wrote: may i say, however, that the quality of this conversation compared with the congruent one on the PS board make me happy to live on this side of flatbush.
    True that. Anyone notice that the people most up in arms about the karma feature are those whose posting style can be described as obnoxious and boorish? :roll:
  • yeah, it does seem that, hypothetically, this sort of response in an entirely fictional group of people could seem to suggest a situation not unlike the popular kids finding out that they are more loud than loved.

i've said too much!
  • Candicissima wrote: [quote=sweet tea]may i say, however, that the quality of this conversation compared with the congruent one on the PS board make me happy to live on this side of flatbush.
    True that. Anyone notice that the people most up in arms about the karma feature are those whose posting style can be described as obnoxious and boorish? :roll:

I don't like the Karma feature at ALL....are you saying I'm obnoxious and boorish?
  • BrookFetish wrote: [quote=Candicissima][quote=sweet tea]may i say, however, that the quality of this conversation compared with the congruent one on the PS board make me happy to live on this side of flatbush.

I don't like the Karma feature at ALL....are you saying I'm obnoxious and boorish?

Nah, but you're not necessarily "up in arms" per se about it either, are you? Have you made any topics and/or beat it into the ground?
  • sweet tea wrote: yeah, it does seem that, hypothetically, this sort of response in an entirely fictional group of people could seem to suggest a situation not unlike the popular kids finding out that they are more loud than loved.

I couldn't agree with you more.
  • one thing i really like about this is that it gives me a chance to give little anonymous (sometimes i'm shy) thank you's to people who've helped me in the past. like pitu, who's told me about good restaurants and foodie things. (guess that one was less anonymous, but i definitely owe pitu more than one karma point.)
  • sweet tea wrote: one thing i really like about this is that it gives me a chance to give little anonymous (sometimes i'm shy) thank you's to people who've helped me in the past. like pitu, who's told me about good restaurants and foodie things. (guess that one was less anonymous, but i definitely owe pitu more than one karma point.)
    I think that's probably what the feature is meant to be, and how it has been used on other boards (what Emily was referring to on the PS board). I'm kinda hoping that the whole thing will calm down and function that way.
This discussion has been closed.