Help need fish — Brooklynian

Help need fish

edited 11:05AM in Brooklyn Eats
So Christmas Eve is coming and I called my usual fish store to find out they have closed! Does anyone know (can be Brooklyn or Manhattan) of a fish store where I can get fresh shellfish (cleaned, etc.)?

Comments

• I don't really eat fish, but Fairway in Red Hook seems to have a pretty decent selection/counter
  • Thanks I already checked with them and they cannot guarantee the amount that I need (cooking for 15) :(
  • Did you check Whole Foods at Union Square?

Fresh Direct also has some decent shellfish, although the selection is limited.
  • There's a small fish market in the slope on 7th Ave, within a few blocks of 2nd St I think. I've never shopped there but noticed a sign about taking orders for the holidays today.
  • my sushi-chef neighbor swears by a place in CG (on court street, i think?) for fish...i'll see if i can figure out the name and whether they have shellfish, too.

FAIRWAY doesn't have enough stock? that's shocking to me.
  • THIS SATURDAY Dec 22 is the last day of the season for the local fishmongers at the farmer's market at Grand Army Plaza. That's as fresh as it's going to get - they are fantastic. Squid, scallops, clams, oysters - many of the components of the Feast of Seven Fishes.

I got a fish head and bones from them last week to make stock, and it had a whole squid inside. faaaaaascinating! If you go early - like 7 or 8am - there's no line and great selection. There's a real rush there after 9:30 or so. But they are very efficient, so the line moves fast even if it is long. LOVE THEM!

You can always fill in anything else from Fairway. Or Sunset Park Chinatown on Sunday.

Happy Xmas, Stace!

p.s. Fish Tales is the place in Carroll Gardens that is super highly regarded. I only know it by reputation. It's on Court St, down around the Bergen St end. http://www.fishtalesonline.com/contact.html

Here's the folks at GAP
    http://www.bluemoonfish.com/
  • pitu wrote:
    I got a fish head and bones from them last week to make stock, and it had a whole squid inside. faaaaaascinating!
    oooo, i got a whole fish with squid inclusion (is that a squish?) once this summer, too. the fish must have just eaten -- the squid was pristine.

(and then i badly misjudged which of our two dinner guests would think this was "awesome" and which "revolting". oopsie.)

ETA: upon reflection, i think it must be "fisquish".
  • I love Blue Moon (I try to buy from them every Saturday while they're there), but 12/22 is too early to buy shellfish for Christmas Eve, no?
  • Xmas eve is Monday. Any fish you buy in a store on Monday is going to be the same freshitude as what Blue Moon has on Saturday.
    Buying and storing oysters
  • Most reputable seafood purveyors get fresh fish on Mondays.
  • Carnivore wrote: Most reputable seafood purveyors get fresh fish on Mondays.
    yeah, one would hope. I'm all about the realpolitik.

Nothing to do with Stacey's holiday meal, but did you read the sushi market piece in vanity fair? Those fish are logging some serious miles . . .
    http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/06/sushi200706
  • Great article! I took Mrs. C to Sugiyama for her birthday last year and it was amazing!
  • Thanks for the help - I am going to check out the Court St. Im afraid if I have to purchase the fish on Sat it will not be a s fresh on Mon
  • Fish Tales (191 Court) is great. When you stand at the counter, look right at the display behind you. They have diver scallops--tan and dry, the way they are supposed to be. We love them. Not cheap by a long shot, but nothing is. Most important, you have to trust the quality. We have never been disappointed there. Broke, but not disappointed.
  • vintagejames wrote: Fish Tales (191 Court) is great. When you stand at the counter, look right at the display behind you. They have diver scallops--tan and dry, the way they are supposed to be. We love them. Not cheap by a long shot, but nothing is. Most important, you have to trust the quality. We have never been disappointed there. Broke, but not disappointed.
    I've heard great stuff about that place, although I haven't tried it myself, mostly because I never remember it when I actually need something. Thanks!
  • Thanks for all the tips. I called Fish Tales and they were extremely helpful and promised to have all my stuff ready on Sunday. I thought that they would not be able to give me the bulk amount I needed but the guy I spoke to told me "as long as there are fish in the sea - we can get them for you". The prices seemed to be the same as what I paid for before.

You guys are the best xoxoxo

If you want to come over Christmas Eve you are all welcome to come ;)
This discussion has been closed.