Empty storefronts on Franklin between Sterling & Park - Brooklynian

Empty storefronts on Franklin between Sterling & Park

With Owl & Thistle closing ages ago and now Stork closing and Rosebud vintage joining forces with The Peacock Room across the street there are 3 empty storefronts on Franklin between Sterling and Park. Has anyone heard what may be coming in?

Comments

• It would not surprise me if these storefronts remained vacant for a while.

At present, many of the landlords along Franklin seem to have convinced themselves that their properties are worth lots of money.

I don't think they will be worth that amount until the Spring.

Why Spring? Well, by then:

-1000 Dean should finally figure out what it is going to fill its 1st and 4th floors with.

-The Court Officers academy might open.

-The armory at Bedford and Union will in the process of becoming what it is to become.

-The demolition of the non brick portions of the brewery complex should be complete.

-The garage on St. Johns near the shuttle track may have become a deep hole.

-A new owner of the gas station at Bedford and EP may have their act together to the degree that they decide it is time to put up a plywood fence.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/37490/the-big-6-developments-in-western-ch-in-2013-the-big-11-developments-in-2014/p1

Until then, I wouldn't be interested in those storefronts.

But thanks.
  • I know this is slightly beside the point but Owl & Thistle didn't close, they just moved a few blocks to the south side of Eastern Pkwy.  And from the looks of it, that area is starting to get pretty interesting with several new businesses opening.  The landlords seem a little less greedy and more interested in seeing a community grow in the long term.  
  • edited September 2014
    I don't believe that the landlords on Franklin south of EP differ from those between EP and Atlantic.

I believe those commercial landlords and commercial renters accurately see fewer people with large amounts of disposable income, and thus the properties are worth less.

It isn't about growing or maintaining "community".
  • And from the looks of it, that area is starting to get pretty interesting with several new businesses opening.
    Have you heard any plans for the corner spot next to Butter & Scotch? I would think that spot turns into something pretty quickly after B & S is open.