Over a Dozen Violent Sex Offenders Residing in Unmarked Prospect-Lefferts Gardens Building — Brooklynian

Over a Dozen Violent Sex Offenders Residing in Unmarked Prospect-Lefferts Gardens Building

Comments

• No one will be pleased to have this population near them, however, without such an option, these people will be homeless.  While in apartments there is a certain degree of accountability, making these sex offenders probably some of the "safest" sex offenders.  Additionally, last I checked the reporting rate in NYC was rated a C, meaning, most do not report and are out and about/homeless with no accountability.  What the NIMBYs do not seem to recognize is at least now the people they are concerned about can be located.  The fact that they have been there two years and there is not an increase in sexual crime would point to the idea that these residential facilities are actually doing something to prevent recidivism.   And before people tell me to just wait until I have them living next to me, I did. I had someone who was convicted of a violent rape.  He kept mostly to himself and actually, I looked at it as a way to maybe keep my rent down.  I just wasn't exactly inviting him over for Sunday brunch.
  • @MatthewTaub1, does NYC have any laws restricting where a convicted sex offender may live? It seem that NYS does not.

This building is right down the street from me, by the way. This is news to me.
  • I don't think NYC has a "no sites like this near schools" law but will have to look into it. Laws like that seem to make sense but quickly make housing these people only more problematic, especially in a dense environment like NYC. 

I think the city DOES have a notification process before something like this is put in, but here the State apparently gave the referrals and claims they can bypass the city's normal community notification process?

My calls to the city and state have not been returned. I clearly indicate my e-mail address in the bottom of the article for them to advise further. 

Not holding my breath, but will certainly update the story if they do.

Thanks for your interest.
  • I don't think NYC has a "no sites like this near schools" law but will have to look into it. Laws like that seem to make sense but quickly make housing these people only more problematic, especially in a dense environment like NYC. 
    As someone in your article pointed out, there are schools nearby (like P.S. 375). However, I do acknowledge that if one were to ban registered sex offenders from living near schools, that would complicate their search for housing in this city. 
  • There is a registry with pictures of sex offenders and their level of "offense".  I took a look and recognized some people from my neighborhood, including a person I repeated say hi to, and have helped him get his cats fixed.  I believe you have to register as a sex offender for life, so some of the offenses go way back.  I am wary of people trying to get others riled up, and the mischief that can happen when people take justice into their own hands.  
    They have to live somewhere, and so much the better that they are even locatable. Their crimes may not even involve children, so proximity to schools is a moot point.  
  • edited September 2014
    Yes, and like many other crimes, the victims tend to be known to the perpetrator.

Hence, kids are most at risk of rape from their father or uncle, and adults are most at risk of rape from their partners.

Groping (aka forcible touching) is a less serious offense than rape.

Given the frequency of groping (I don't know a woman who has not been groped at some point during her life, and most have been subject to it on the subway), I find it hard to get upset over a small residence compared to a large shelter.

...such as the large shelter at Bedford and Pacific.

• now you are hitting too close to home!
This discussion has been closed.