DH Emily - How Come the Karma System is Still Up? — Brooklynian

DH Emily - How Come the Karma System is Still Up?

You both have made comments, on this Board and the PH Board, that would lead one to believe that you intended to take it down. It's now been more than a week. Why is it still up?

Now would be a good a time to do it. And by-the-way, I'm suspending all posting until Tuesday.

Comments

• Subject: Re: DH & Emily - How Come the Karma System is Still Up?

Livetotravel wrote: Now would be a good a time to do it. And by-the-way, I'm suspending all posting until Tuesday.
    hurrah!
  • Subject: Re: DH & Emily - How Come the Karma System is Still Up?

Livetotravel wrote: You both have made comments, on this Board and the PH Board, that would lead one to believe that you intended to take it down. It's now been more than a week. Why is it still up?
    Are you the kind of guy that invites himself over and then puts his feet up on the owner's coffee table?
  • no [redacted] I'm doing it in respect and remembrance for my friend who died in tower 1 five years ago. Why don't you observe some self-adminsistered silence also. Over and out!
  • Livetotravel wrote: no [redacted] I'm doing it in respect and remembrance for my friend who died in tower 1 five years ago. Why don't you observe some self-adminsistered silence also. Over and out!
    wait. wtf? your OP, quoted here:
    Livetotravel wrote: You both have made comments, on this Board and the PH Board, that would lead one to believe that you intended to take it down. It's now been more than a week. Why is it still up?

Now would be a good a time to do it. And by-the-way, I'm suspending all posting until Tuesday.
    does not merit your response.

of course, if you want to go there, it's really nice that you have to be a jerk about your friends memory and try to make other people feel bad for POSTING ON AN INTERNET BOARD during your self-imposed blahdiblah.

and no, I'm not going to enumerate who and what I lost 5 years ago on 9/11. you're the only one in this "mine is bigger than yours" battle.
  • Not to mention that Whyfi was obviously referring to your thoughts on the karma system not your self imposed posting exile...
  • Rules for Moderators
    1. Take the high road. By definition, the mod has to stay neutral and judicious on issues of board behavior and etiquette, and be an example for other users. It's also bad form to post mean or sarcastic comments in response to another user, no matter how stupid or callous the user is being.
    2. The X button means delete. Delete obvious spam, though we haven't had much lately.
    3. Delete obviously antagonistic/obnoxious/obscene/threatening posts, but let a site moderator know about it (you can send the text of the message).
    3b. If you are even slightly unsure about whether something should be deleted, then please don't. Ask a site moderator first.
    4. Please never edit people's posts. If you feel strongly enough that a post is out of bounds and needs to be edited, then let a site admin know.
    5. Set the tone for the board by answering people's questions, and by regularly shouting, "YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!" Beat your chest for effect. (Ha, ha.)
    6. Mod powers should come and go. Not arbitrarily, but if somebody falls off the face of the earth, or consistently acts more like a user than a mod, then a change is probably in order.
    7. Be alert at all times for the return of "the" anonymous guest.

I'm still reading rule #1. When did that one go out the window?
  • Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't fully addressed the Karma issue yet. I am one guy, doing this entire thing by myself, at least on the back end; we have a group of moderators that are also working extremely hard to keep these boards usable and useful.

Speaking of moderators, flexi, rule #1 did NOT go out the window and moderators should definitely be following it!

Moderators are supposed to be neutral and judicious on issues of board behavior and etiquette. They are supposed to be an example for other users. It's very bad form for a moderator to post mean or sarcastic comments in response to another user.

This is all very much in effect, and moderators always should be adhering to it. If you think a moderator is violating any of these rules, please PM me and I'll definitely take it up with the moderator one-on-one. Your comments will be ANONYMOUSLY conveyed to the moderator in question.

Also, the karma issue will be addressed tonight.

Thanks!
  • I applaud you (while I still can!) for addressing the issues.
  • Flexichick wrote: Rules for Moderators
    1. Take the high road. By definition, the mod has to stay neutral and judicious on issues of board behavior and etiquette, and be an example for other users. It's also bad form to post mean or sarcastic comments in response to another user, no matter how stupid or callous the user is being.
    2. The X button means delete. Delete obvious spam, though we haven't had much lately.
    3. Delete obviously antagonistic/obnoxious/obscene/threatening posts, but let a site moderator know about it (you can send the text of the message).
    3b. If you are even slightly unsure about whether something should be deleted, then please don't. Ask a site moderator first.
    4. Please never edit people's posts. If you feel strongly enough that a post is out of bounds and needs to be edited, then let a site admin know.
    5. Set the tone for the board by answering people's questions, and by regularly shouting, "YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!" Beat your chest for effect. (Ha, ha.)
    6. Mod powers should come and go. Not arbitrarily, but if somebody falls off the face of the earth, or consistently acts more like a user than a mod, then a change is probably in order.
    7. Be alert at all times for the return of "the" anonymous guest.

I'm still reading rule #1. When did that one go out the window?

Who are you referring to?
  • Steve -

a) to YOU for sounding (in my mind at least) snarky to LtT about his "self-imposed" exile. There were many other ways you could have made your point
    b) to Candicissima for calling me "self-centered" and a "bitch" among other things for questioning moderators behaviour

I'm sure there have been other issues, but these are the first two that popped into my head.
  • Well, I don't see anything from C., but I don't feel like I was snarky. I was simply pointing out the nature of the error. I thought it was important to point out the obvious misunderstanding, which led to his overreaction.
  • Hi guys,

As I said before, these types of issues are best addressed off the board. Feel free to shoot me a private message anytime.

The original question from Livetotravel has been answered, so let's close the thread for now.

Thanks! DH
This discussion has been closed.