Neighborhood Cut & Shave opening on Vanderbilt. - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neighborhood Cut & Shave opening on Vanderbilt.

edited October 2014 in Prospect Heights
FullSizeRender

Here's one I'm excited about.  Cut & Shave, which already has a presence in the west village is more than the old school barber shop it will emulate. It's a place for men to get all sorts of great classic or modern cuts from cutting edge hair artists.   I'm extra tickled that this place has opened up two doors down from from the newly opened Salon 718.  Salon 718 is strictly for housewives and children.  Hip is not in their wheelhouse.  I went once to support and left unhappy.   I will be first in line for Cut & Shave though!

Comments

• i was intrigued when i saw the sign go up, but $40 haircuts are going to attract only a certain type of customer. i'll definitely try it once, if only to support.
  • I hope to create an identity that will cultivate personalities; a brand and place where creatives come to be inspired as well as inspire others.
  • Hey Alex! When will you open up? Looking forward to giving you a go.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • I hope to create an identity that will cultivate personalities; a brand and place where creatives come to be inspired as well as inspire others.
    it's a barber shop, right?
  • Folks, I don't think it's a barber shop. I shot this last night...barbers don't start with four vintage chairs and a barber pole before building out mirrors, shelves, sinks, lighting, etc.

Guessing it's a "salon" - in the "space to exchange ideas" sense, based on the above description and the status of the interior furnishings.image
  • they opened today - https://www.facebook.com/Neighborhoodcutandshave/posts/803551339693834

NCS and little cupcake bake shop should have done cross promotion grand openings today. they both seem to have similar values and styles if different services.
  • Good to see new businesses opening in the area but, as a black male with kinky hair, I will stick to the old neighborhood barbershops where I've built trust with people who regularly cut black hair! Not to mention that I'm not paying anywhere close to what this place likely charges for cuts (someone mentioned $40 above), not when I can get a cut for less than half that amount elsewhere (either on Washington Avenue or on Grand and Fulton). 
  • Got in this weekend for a cut and shave and LOVE this place.  

It's interesting to note, that when you walk by Salon 718, you'll notice all women, and when you pass by C&S, it's obviously all men BUT because of the different styles, some men and some women will feel alienated by these options. 

Cut and Shave is the most hipster element on Vanderbilt now - and certainly some men will have pause walking in there once they catch sight of tat'd up stylists, the magazine rack that is basically all Playboy magazines, and the whiskey on the counter they happily ply you with. 

Similarly, some young adult women will get one sniff of  the bright lights, the billboard music and the normalness of the stylists at 718 and permanently pass. 

• The "normalness"?  How awful.  

And by the way: Viewed from a certain perspective, the look of the guys in Cut & Shave might also be described as awfully, awfully "normal" -- or should I say "conventional"? 
  • Hmmmm, in a certain world, I think you might be right.....

Bizarro-World-Meme-jpeg
  • "Cut and Shave is the most hipster element on Vanderbilt now" 

Did the artisan mayo store close?