Here comes 1515 Bedford, at Lincoln - Brooklynian

Here comes 1515 Bedford, at Lincoln

The demolition of the theater/church that previous occupied this lot was discussed on this thread:   http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/26049/big-building-on-northeast-corner-of-lincoln-pl-and-bedford&nbsp#Item_95

This thread follows the construction of the new building.
Here are pics of the new building. Mix use building, residential and community facility.10 story over cellar, approximately 110,000 sf and 114 residences.

(old rendering)

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Looks really nice.  Nicer than 341EP.  I think Bedford around EP is going to be a beautiful area once all the dust settles.  Likely, even the "midtown" of CH.  All these new buildings - this one, the future one where the gas station is now, whatever is to be built on the corner lot on the south side, and the future of the armory - will likely have retail/attractions.  Franklin is so yesterday (Tongue-in-cheek).
  • The buildings you describe will be especially interesting because of the elevation of this intersection.

The higher floors will allow views in several directions.
  • edited November 2014
    @whynot_31 - I was always curios about this... Bedford and EP has to be one of the highest points in Brooklyn.

Mount Prospect Park is noted as the second highest point in Brooklyn; Battle Hill in Greenwood Cemetery appears to be the first.  When walking, it always feels like Mount Prospect Park is downhill from Bedford and EP (or at least the entrance).  Either way, you can't build on Mount Prospect Park or in the cemetery so this corner may be the highest point in Brooklyn where one can build.
  • One of those developments will be able to market the "highest bed in Brooklyn" or a Top of Brooklyn restaurant...
  • I do hope that Edison lightbulbs and lightly sanded reclaimed wood are out of fashion by then.
  • edited March 2015
    Brownstoner published a new rendering and some info today:
    "The apartments are no longer set back from the retail stores below, the windows have changed, and the facade materials are more uniform and lighter in color. There are some other small changes too at the ground level. Overall, it looks similar to the initial concept but, if we may speculate, less expensive to build."

"The new building will include ground-floor space for a synagogue, as we have previously reported. "

This would be the view along Lincoln. Bedford Ave is on left.

More details: http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2015/02/updated-rendering-posted-for-fox-savoy-theater-site-in-crown-heights/?ic_source=ic-featured-frontpage-top

Note:  The term synagogue is being used to denote "house of worship".    The actual use will be a church, run by the church that used to reside in the theater. 
  • Not reliable but I hear Trader Joes in the old BP. 
  • Not reliable but I hear Trader Joes in the old BP. 
    I'll believe it when I see it. We saw what happened about the rumor about TJ's going into the old bank building on Washington Avenue. :)
  • Said rumors should be put on the thread that talks about the former BP site: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44338/here-comes-1535-bedford-between-eastern-parkway-and-lincoln-formerly-a-gas-station-and-a-car-wash#Item_70

...we should try to only repeat rumors from sources that we believe to be credible.
  • edited February 2015
    The apartments on the back of this building will have good views.

The apartments on the front will have their views obstructed by the residence that will be built on the former BP station. Lincoln is pretty narrow, so this building will not get a lot of light.

This site is one of 16 large developments in western Crown Heights that I closely watch:   http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44634/links-to-the-big-16-developments-in-western-crown-heights/p1
  • What a delightful-looking prison!
  • edited March 2015
    Long time readers may recall that a church owned this site, and then sold it to developer under the condition that it and its members get space in the building.

From Laurie Cumbo's facebook feed:

"Congratulations to Charity Neighborhood Bethel Cathedral on the occasion of their groundbreaking ceremony for their new church home, housing project and local business enterprise. Located right on Bedford and Lincoln Place, community residents came out even in the rain to celebrate this extraordinary opportunity for the whole community!"

10325764_344248672427792_87592058462736815_n
    10408546_344248649094461_2138458921002322640_n
    10923441_344248665761126_6515122709335895731_n
  • The hole for the foundation is large.
  • "Twenty percent of the apartments—or 22 units—will rent to households
    making 60% of the Area Median Income, which ranges from $36,300 for a
    single person to $46,600 for a family of three."

http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/07/tracking-affordable-housing-and-rezonings-in-crown-heights.html
  • edited August 2015
    Still working on that very DEEP Foundation

• A small bump in the road:

• Foundation appears complete.   The concrete has begun rise.    

It might be above the level of the construction fence by Jan 1.

• Winter seems to have slowed them down, they are now at the level of the construction fence, but not above it.

• Now above the fence:

• edited April 2016

Another floor.

• This site continues to be one of the sites I believe will make a large impart on western Crown Heights:  http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/47007/the-big-18-developments-the-whynot-31-wont-stop-talking-about?new=1
  • 4 floors poured, 6 more to go

• edited June 2016

The seem to be building this in two parts:

The tall structure on left (along Bedford), then the shorter part on the right.    The tall part is not yet as high as a the short structure will be when it is finished...

• View soon to be obstructed by building in foreground.

• edited September 2016
    Not sure if anyone can answer this, but what is this large space between the left of the tan building and to the right of the new building going to be?

In the rendering it looks like a lower portion of the same property, but it doesn't seem like they've done much of that. Granted, I know nothing about the building process.
  • edited September 2016
    I believe they are creating the building in two stages.

The tall part it (stage 1) is now at its terminal height.

The remaining void is next
  • The last floor is now being poured for shorter portion.

• Anyone know anything about the synagogue said to be renting the cellar and ground floor space?
  • I kind of like how the height of the building is managed by the downward slope of the hill it is built on. 
  • Anyone know anything about the synagogue said to be renting the cellar and ground floor space?
    It believe it will actually be a church. See above photos of congregants.

My theory is that the DOB is stating it is to be a synagogue because the person who filed the plans was Jewish.
  • edited November 2016
    I kind of like how the height of the building is managed by the downward slope of the hill it is built on. 
    As a result, this building is larger than it may appear.

Nearby businesses should get a big boost, and I would be surprised if the building on the NW corner of EP and Bedford (presently the story home to Chase, some healthcare, and some MEC offices) is gone by 2022.

• whynot_31 said:
    As a result, this building is larger than it may appear. Nearby businesses should get a big boost, and I would be surprised if the building on the SW corner of EP and Bedford (presently the story home to Chase, some healthcare, and some MEC offices) is gone by 2022.
    NW corner, no?

Also, oddly, 1515 has no windows on the North side of the building.

• THIS is my biggest problem. It is just a HUGE blank wall on the North side!!! wtf?

Pepper said:

whynot_31 said:
    As a result, this building is larger than it may appear. Nearby businesses should get a big boost, and I would be surprised if the building on the SW corner of EP and Bedford (presently the story home to Chase, some healthcare, and some MEC offices) is gone by 2022.
    NW corner, no?

Also, oddly, 1515 has no windows on the North side of the building.

• My guess is that they were unable to secure an easement from the (much lower) building next door.
  • edited November 2016
    They likely expect the Friends of Crown Heighs Daycare to be demolished in the future. (Two story brick thing at SE corner of Bedford and St Johns).

Yes the Chase - MEC building is on the NW corner of EP and Bedford. Typo.
  • Concrete work complete.

• Anyone know if this building is going to include Zipcar parking?  That would be nice. 
  • It would be. ...the area could also support a traditional rental car company, like Enterprise.
  • Rough electrical and plumbing now going in.
  • Windows installed.
  • A banner has been mounted to advertise the church: Charity Neighborhood Bethel Cathedral. I am not sure if they get to select the residents of the affordable unit that will be developed.
  • edited June 2017
    Facade now up on much of building.
  • edited August 2017
    CROWN HEIGHTS - A Crown Heights church says the developer it sold its property to is walking back on the terms of the deal. The Charity Neighborhood Baptist Church sold the property five years ago on the condition that there be ground-floor space for a religious sanctuary in a new apartment building at 1515 Bedford Ave. But now, critics say the developer has relocated that religious space to the basement, which also has no windows. The ground-floor space went to commercial units. Church officials say they would not have sold the property if the agreement had involved putting the sanctuary in a basement. The church's attorney says a resolution without litigation is preferable, but the community is prepared to go to court over what they describe as a clear breach of contract. http://brooklyn.news12.com/story/36026890/crown-heights-church-accuses-developer-of-breaching-contract
  • Would be very interested in seeing the contract. Real estate contracts are one of the few places where courts will order "specific performance" rather than money damages. In other words, if required by the contract, the developer may have to move the church up into the first floor commercial space, rather than paying the church money that it could use to move into an alternative location.
  • The pastor has some nice duds...
  • Sounds like a lot of drama. I agree that the contract would be an interesting read.
  • edited August 2017
    "Calls for comment to the developer’s office and Yosi Cohen were not returned Tuesday. The church has support from high-profile attorney Sanford Rubenstein, who spoke on their behalf Tuesday, members of Black Lives Matter and Gwen Carr, mother of Eric Garner and aunt to Evans, who has attended the church since 2009. She took issue with the developers trying to force her congregation into a basement. “Nobody would build a church in the basement,” she said. “We don’t want them to disgrace us to dishonor us. They would have never done this in other certain neighborhoods.” https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170802/crown-heights/charity-baptist-church-1515-bedford-development-contract
  • Per the article, 'the church agreed to sell after signing a contract with the company stipulating Charity Neighborhood would receive “approximately 5,000 square feet of ground floor space for use as a religious sanctuary,” the document reads, and another 2,000 square feet in the basement for a community facility.' Seems like a pretty open-and-shut case.
  • edited August 2017
    The DOB Schedule A filing at the time of approval states there will be a 211 person Main Sanctuary in the cellar. A 67 person fellowship hall is also in the cellar. The first floor only has gathering spaces for a 15 person office and 61 person Accessory Gift Shop http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JB2ScheduleAServlet?requestid=5&passjobnumber=320592587&passdocnumber=01&allbin=3032187 Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 4.12.34 PM Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 4.17.34 PM
  • edited August 2017
    So, the developer seems to have been planning to put it in the cellar since the plans were filed. Hence, it would seem that any "relocation" (breach of contract?) took place prior to the plans being approved. [note I would have to read what the developer promised the church in order to form an opinion on whether this was a breach]
  • i wonder if the real story of why the building was sold for only $575,000 will ever come out...or if the developer knows something about this, and feels like it is enough to get the church to settle for the basement when it has a contract or writing for the ground floor space, and is taking a bet on whether the church leaders want their business made public.
  • Above (March 2015) I wrote "Long time readers may recall that a church owned this site, and then sold it to developer under the condition that it and its members get space in the building. From Laurie Cumbo's facebook feed: "Congratulations to Charity Neighborhood Bethel Cathedral on the occasion of their groundbreaking ceremony for their new church home, housing project and local business enterprise. Located right on Bedford and Lincoln Place, community residents came out even in the rain to celebrate this extraordinary opportunity for the whole community!"
  • edited August 2017
    Keywords: "church home, housing project and local business enterprise". So, it seems the church agreed too be paid $575k not merely in exchange for permanent worship space. They also may be getting the gift shop, offices, and commercial kitchen described on the Schedule A at far-below-market rates. In addition, they may also have obtained the ability to exclusively place their members in the some of the apartments, notably the the 22 apartments that are designated for persons making 60% of AMI (i.e. these apartments may be exempt from the city lottery). Depending on the rates for these spaces and the length of the arrangements, this may make the $575k seem like a savvy deal.
  • It does sound like a savvy deal; but if the new owner is being this flagrantly violative of the contract, I wonder how much of the contract between the church and the developer is actually iron-clad. I'm definitely very curious about whether the affordable housing will actually go to the church members.
  • Yes, we would need to know all the terms. For the sake of the church, I do hope that the developer is not involved in the ongoing management of the property. If that were the case, the church could lose even if they win.
  • NYT had a piece today on why churches sell their properties to developers: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/06/nyregion/congregations-look-to-sell-houses-of-worship.html
  • Not new, but this brownstoner article provides a a few additional details about the fight between the developer and the church that I hadn't seen before http://www.brownstoner.com/development/brooklyn-development-fox-savoy-theater-crown-heights-1515-bedford-avenue/ I hope this gets resolved quickly and fairly.
  • This building appears to be on track for Spring 2018 occupancy.
  • any updates on the fight between the developer and the church?
  • I don't have any. However, I suspect we would have heard a lot about the case if it went forward. (Not many media sources could resist a good story about Black church vs Jewish developer)
  • Spring occupancy looks likely. Drywall is up. Lighting is going in. I expect to see listings for the market rate units as early as April.
  • edited March 18
    IMG_5426
  • Has anyone heard anything about the developer's relationship with the Church?
This discussion has been closed.