I'm surprised that no one commented... — Brooklynian

I'm surprised that no one commented...

About Eric Linsker, the prof who was arrested in the rioting for allegedly breaking a cop's nose with his foot. I would figure that someone on here would know him or live in his building since he's from the area.

Comments

• I did see that he was from Crown Heights. However, I don't know that anyone is going to know him.

The professor title being thrown around in the media is also pretty generous. From what I understand, he taught a few classes as an adjunct.

Such classes pay around $3000 each for the semester. He likely has other sources of income and/or multiple roommates.

• Yes, at 29 I didn't think he was a full prof either especially since he's only teaching English Composition but it makes for better copy.
  • edited December 2014
    He seems to have received an award for his poetry, and had a book of it published:

http://www.amazon.com/La-Far-Iowa-Poetry-Prize/dp/1609382412
  • I couldn't even understand the blurb about what the book is about so I'll just figure he wrote that himself.
  • For some people, poetry is a constructive way for them to release anger.

If the charges are correct, poetry was not enough for Mr. Linsker.
  • I'm hearing a lot of conflicting reports about what actually happened at the bridge. I've heard that he punched the cop or someone else hit the cop or that the cop's nose got broken when a trash can hit the cruiser or the cop accidentally broke his nose when making the arrest.

The one thing I'm hearing and have seen in photos is that there was only one hammer in the bag he was arrested with. I've also heard the bag might not have been on his person at he time of the arrest. The one thing I'm hearing a lot is he wasn't the guy who threw the trash can and there were no substantial injuries of any type to the second cop.

Please take all the above with a rather large grain of sand as I wasn't on the bridge that night. I'd also ask you to question everything the NYPD has put out as they have already proven to have lied multiple times about the protests thus far.
  • edited December 2014
    As the protests continue, I expect the gulf between what the protesters say happened, and what the police say happened to continue to widen.

As we have seen on various threads over the year, the media accounts will vary as well.   The media accounts won't always be consistent with the stereotypes of the given media.

IE, The Post won't always report a story in a manner that is "pro-cop". and the Daily News won't always report a story in a manner that is "anti-cop".

The main thing I conclude from this video of the incident is that I would not want to attempt an arrest in a crowd with only one coworker:

More of the suspects are being sought.

• edited December 2014
    The second suspect to be arrested also lives in Crown Heights, on Rogers Avenue.   Robert Murray.  He turned himself in today.

• Isn't is good to know the neighborhood is getting publicity for something other than restaurants and bars?
  • edited December 2014
    It must suck to realize that a felony committed during the course of pursuing a cause, is treated as seriously as one committed during the course of pursuing -say- cocaine.
  • It must suck even more to know that selling untaxed cigarettes is punishable by death.
  • Death is certainly worse than getting charged with a felony.

I suspect that is behind the slogan "it is better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I'd+rather+be+judged+by+12+than+carried+by+6

• This story is a perfect example of the tale of two cities policing that goes on here in NYC. There is no way on earth that seven 30-something black folks would have gotten into a pushing and shoving match with the cops in the middle of a protest on a high-priority security target without police calling in all kinds of reinforcements and arresting the offending parties right away. And if by some miracle, that had happened, there is no way that the cops would have waited for these same citizens to turn themselves in. The gang member that puched the cop up in Harlem? Arrested immediately, sitting in jail with no bail. These fools? ROR or with bail less than $50,000.
  • edited December 2014
    What I find ironic is that "privilege" was likely among the things the suspects were marching against.

However, they are now benefiting from privilege, regardless of whether it stems from their hue, income, education, wealth, and/or lack of prior arrests.

This discussion has been closed.