Franklin and Union--not a new coffee shop. (Union St Pub) - Brooklynian

Franklin and Union--not a new coffee shop. (Union St Pub)

I heard that Sunshine&Co/Milk Bar is opening a place on Union and Franklin across from Butter and Scotch. This would be very exciting for us living down south. 

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Nice. Do you know which store front? Here's a streetview:

http://goo.gl/maps/CKTzF

Is it the storefront with police in front?

• Yes, I think it is going in where Bah-Tolo-Union and Fatima Hair braiding is.
  • Given the lack of other available spaces in the immediate vicinity I'm assuming it's the spot right next to Butter & Scotch.  Between Butter & Scotch, the new Bob & Betty's space, the pet store they'll be opening where the Pulp and Bean II currently is, and now this place, the south side of the Parkway, especially the west side of Franklin, is changing very rapidly these days.
  • Yes, I think it is going in where Bah-Tolo-Union and Fatima Hair braiding is.

Ah, figured they'd need a larger space than that.  Either way, interesting development....
  • 829 Franklin, 831 Franklin, 833 Franklin, 835 Franklin, 1059 Union, Crown Heights

3-01266-0001.0IoLHlHV
    Screen shot 2015-02-03 at 5.54.03 PM
  • edited March 2015
    I reached out to the owner:

"Hello.

Alexander here the owner of milk bar. I have looked at the space but a lease is yet to be signed.

I no longer own Sunshine, my parter in milk bar Sabrina Godfrey is still involved I that business.

I own the Brunswick stores in Bedstuy and Windsor terrace.

Alexander Hall
    917 463 9065
    Bluebird Coffee Shop
    Rosella Coffee Shop
    Milk Bar
    Brunswick PPW
    Brunswick BedStuy"
  • Hi Alexander,
    I for one am hoping you sign the lease. I love LOVE the Milk bar. I haven't been to your other places but I imagine they are equally fantastic.
    S.
  • no wonder; i knew sunshine co changed owners. they had some of the most gorgeous interior design i'd even seen until it was unfortunately "renovated." the drinks are still good but the decor is enough to put me off.

exciting stuff!
  • edited February 2015
    This coffee shop would be in a better location than the existing Pulp and Bean, because it is on the same side of the street and same block as the subway entrance.

http://goo.gl/maps/OaOf6
  • This place was being gutted this AM, so I guess things have kicked off.   It appears what was two stores will be combined into one.   Bah-Tolo-Union and Fatima Hair
  • This is great news! I'm tired of all the shuttered storefronts between Carroll and Eastern Pkwy. I did see a few people with a a realtor (I'm guessing) looking at the corner space next to Butter & Scotch last week. Whatever opens there I hope they can have a bit of sidewalk seating or at least some benches.

I'm still confused as to which space Alex says they were looking at--the one next to B&S or the one across the street?
  • edited February 2015
    Alex was looking at the one pictured above. It is across the street from B&S.
  • Cool, thanks. Now I wonder who was checking out the other space.
  • edited February 2015
    Its this one
  • edited February 2015
    We have been watching the former bodega on the NW corner of Franklin and Union on this thread: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/39070/corner-of-franklin-union#Item_16

Returning to the topic at hand, yes, these places being gutted seem like a good indicator that Alex signed.
  • Also being gutted on that block: the southern half of Sal's Restaurant. Could just be renovation of Sal's but it is currently gutted and temporarily walled off inside from the rest of the restaurant.
  • Do we know if it is a coffee shop that is being planned for, or perhaps... an actual restaurant?

(I got my hopes up high only because I used to love Sunshine Co).
  • I recall seeing the second half of Sal's advertised for rent (probably over a year ago) so my guess is it's something new.
  • edited February 2015
    Do we know if it is a coffee shop that is being planned for, or perhaps... an actual restaurant?

(I got my hopes up high only because I used to love Sunshine Co).
    The space is too small to allow that level of restaurant, but it would not surprise me if something similar to Milk Bar (as operated on Vanderbilt and elsewhere) was created.

....Something that serves almost equal amounts of coffee and sandwiches. Alexander's other venues have such a mix.
  • It's going to be a restaurant. They're taking both the hair braiding place and the cell phone place.
  • Isn't the cell phone place still open?
  • edited February 2015
    That would effectively double the space, and allow for a restaurant.

...and, just like that, at least $300k was invested in another build out South of EP on Franklin. These proprietors are not playing around.

The days of the landlord settling for a 2 year lease from a new entrepreneur are gone on this stretch.
  • Isn't the cell phone place still open?
    Yes.
  • Today, the cell phone place operator stated to me that his store is not in the process of closing or becoming part of the coffee shop.

• Today, the cell phone place operator stated to me that his store is not in the process of closing or becoming part of the coffee shop.

My bad. I am going to beat the crap out of the person who gave me this bad info.
  • It just means this place will open sooner, and represent an investment of less $.
  • edited May 2015
    I recall seeing the second half of Sal's advertised for rent (probably over a year ago) so my guess is it's something new.
    I learned what will become of the southern half of Sal's.  The deli on the northwest corner of the block (a few spots up from Sal's, same side of the street) is moving in there.  

I asked the deli man what is taking their spot.  His answer: Dunkin' Donuts.  So, um, yeah.
  • ^ heard exactly the same.  this means i now have to walk 33 more feet to get dirt-cheap beer!
  • edited May 2015

Yeah, they mentioned that when I was in there the other day.  I'm just glad they aren't closing, as they are one of the only nearby Bodegas that sells beer (at a reasonable price).

• well that was quick.
  • edited May 2015

So, the retro bodega on the corner is to become a Dunkin Donuts, and the retro bodega will take over the left half of Sal's.

Got it.    Seems worthy of a new thread   http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/45613/classic-bodega-on-the-nw-corner-of-ep-and-franklin-will-soon-be-replaced-by-a-dunkin-donuts

• edited May 2015
    Has anyone been able to look in on the coffeeshop being constructed by Alexander Hall at the NE corner of Union and Franklin?

As a result of operating Bluebird Coffee Shop, Rosella Coffee Shop, Milk Bar, Brunswick PPW and Brunswick BedStuy, it would not surprise me if construction was nearly complete.

• I've been looking at that space every time I walk by and haven't seen any indication of anything going on in there.  Though it's entirely possible that the bulk of the work is occurring during business hours, while I'm away at work.
  • I also have not seen any work being done at all at the Franklin/Union space.

The bodega is now open already in the space next to Sal's. That was fast!
  • LOL at "retro" bodega.  What does this mean?  It sounds beautiful and pricey!  As long as I can get Jolt cola and AbbaZabba or Dots or wax cola bottles and a snap-gun, I'm happy.
  • In this case, "retro" means bullet proof plexi glass windows, and a bright yellow tin awning.

Both store fronts (the bodega and the hair braiding) are going to never be the same.
  • LOL at "retro" bodega.  What does this mean?  It sounds beautiful and pricey!  As long as I can get Jolt cola and AbbaZabba or Dots or wax cola bottles and a snap-gun, I'm happy.

i.e.
    not like Wholesome Gourmet on Lincoln Road and Flatbush or the "bodega" on Washington and Mongtomery. ;) 
  • Sadly Alexander passed on the space on franklin and union and pretty much crown heights in it's entirety. He stated that they were asking 8k for the space. There must be at least 10 empty storefronts south of EP on Franklin. Why are these landlords holding out for unrealistic rents?
  • edited June 2015
    In short, because they do not believe the rents they are asking are unrealistic.    They know about the Big 16, and have predicted big effect$ on that stretch of Franklin.  

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44634/links-to-the-big-16-developments-in-western-crown-heights/p1

They are willing to sign a short term tenant for a lot of $ per month, or a long term tenant for slightly less $ per month.

Thanks for the update about this coffee shop canceling.   I would have done the same thing if I realized I would be competing with Dunkin Donuts.
  • 3 out of 4 storefronts on that corner are dead, the entire building's-worth (save for the dry cleaners) just south of there are the same (and have been for years)... 

we've been walking home from the BBG via Carroll and Montgomery recently, and whynot is right-- it really feels like everyone's waiting for the other shoe to drop.  What with the laundry and the brewery, the stakes are higher, regardless of which side of EP you're on. 

yikes.
  • 8k seems out of whack.... the places further down Franklin to the south are going for $3500 or less.  
  • I vaguely remember reading on Brooklynian that the spot just two doors down where Owl & Thistle now is was $4000. I always wondered how they made any profit considering the low foot traffic. I assumed they were losing money and hoping for the neighborhood changes to kick in and bring in more customers. Now $8k for this? That's just plain greedy.

I wish landlords would just list the spaces for less money and find a tenant faster, rather than leave the spot to rot (unpaid) until some sucker (or chain) leases the space. E.g. The corner spot across the street (next to Butter & Scotch) that has been available for too long. It's perfect for a restaurant or cafe with good food options and some outdoor seating, with B&S next door for post lunch/dinner indulgence.
  • edited June 2015
    I think of it this way: Many of us could do side jobs to increase our earnings. However, we choose not to because such things eat into leisure time, and we are already employed full time.

Leasing out a property you own to a tenant is similar. It is not merely making the most of idle time/property. It causes one to have to fix up a property, heat it and then deal with the wear and tear that it puts on your accounting and maintenance staff.

If most of your properties are already leased, your staff is effectively employed full time, and it isn't gong to get around to leasing this site until it has exhausted work on projects that are more profitable.

P.S. I believe Owl and Thistle survives in part due to its online business, and classes: http://www.owlandthistlegeneral.com/products-page
  • I rarely see anyone there for classes either, but perhaps. Still only adds a few hundred a month of profit.

Do you know what's up with the storefronts between Carroll and President? I imagine there's more to the store than just lazy landlords. They've been vacant for years.
  • edited June 2015
    I know that those apartment buildings are changing hands frequently, and being aggressively flipped.

Commercial tenants often want long leases, so it is worth their while to invest.

Signing a long lease with a commercial tenant in a building that you are just going to flip often is not a good financial move: New buyers often want such spaces empty (because they may have a prospective commercial tenant that is among their investors).

So, temporary/current landlords just leave those storefronts vacant.
  • Someone is applying for a liquor license for one of the store fronts on this building. Not sure if it's the corner space, but would seem a likely candidate.
  • New buyers often want such spaces empty (because they may have a prospective commercial tenant that is among their investors).

So, temporary/current landlords just leave those storefronts vacant.
    Not entirely true - I work with a developer that exclusively buys pre-existing structures and rehabilitates them (rather than tearing down and starting from scratch).  If a building comes with commercial tenants it's actually a lot easier on us.  Current tenants act as a guarantee that the space is desirable. If one space out of many is empty it's NBD.  But if multiple empty spaces that makes us question our ability to attract and keep tenants - a current owners temporary issue is a potentially long term money loss for us. 

We can also write in to our leases with tenants that they are responsible for renovations beyond basic structural issues.  So the cost of owner renovations is actually quite low (most tenants want to brand and rework the floor for their own specific needs anyway).  

I get it from the temporary/current landlord stand point/way of thinking.  But as a buyer, multiple empty storefronts are a red flag that indicate and issue re-cooping my investment.
  • Someone is applying for a liquor license for one of the store fronts on this building. Not sure if it's the corner space, but would seem a likely candidate.

http://www.communitybrd9bklyn.org/meeting/community-board-meeting-5/

"Corey Noble, Union Franklin One, Inc., 829-835 Franklin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11225 – new application for a Liquor, Wine and Beer License.

http://www.bizapedia.com/ny/UNION-FRANKLIN-ONE-INC.html Company was founded in March. 

The address is weird, as 835 Franklin is the mini-mall/cell phone place.  The Owl & Thistle is immediately to the left, which would be the lower address (829).  But unless this business would include that space this address can't possibly be right, can it (maybe the Owl and Thistle isn't doing so well?)?  Perhaps it's the two corner spaces there?  Either way, it looks like something is on the horizon.

• edited June 2015
    The building has many addresses, so the storefront being considered is not clear.

"•Corey Noble, Union Franklin One, Inc., 829-835 Franklin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11225 – new application for a Liquor, Wine and Beer License."

It could be any of the storefronts between the midblock bodega/deli and former hair braiding place. Look at the roofline of the building to see what I am talking about.
  • edited June 2015
    I think it is safe to say that the NYPD is going to look out for the interests of entities like "Union Franklin One", as opposed to some of the other entities in the area.

(language not safe for work)

• (language not safe for work)

Nice find. I saw them filming that a few weeks ago.

More gunshots from 2 cars rolling down the block tonight. Franklin to the 9's indeed...

• edited June 2015
    Last week, I'm pretty sure I saw a handgun in the waistband of one of the guys who hangs out on Union near the car on the shuttle overpass.

Some of the buildings have hired part time doormen to keep unauthorized people out of their lobbies.

...lots of efforts are underway to make this a place where upscale coffee shops and bars are willing to locate.   

For the sake of Corey Noble, I hope the battle is over by the time he gets his liquor lic ...perhaps a year from now.
  • edited June 2015
    Corey Noble's first battle is tonight, when he has to endure the dynamics of CB9.

http://www.communitybrd9bklyn.org/meeting/community-board-meeting-5/

Note, even if CB9 decides not to support his application, he can go forward with it anyway.

The Q at Parkside chimes in:

"If controversy is your thing, tonight there will be a crowd opposing the granting of a liquor license to a new bar at Union and Franklin. Despite the fact that we met with the owners and determined they are highly qualified to run such a place and have no history of criminality or disorderly conduct, some in the community will assert that they are a bad influence on rising rents. child safety and gentrification. And while the landlord of the building is clearly on a mission to remake the corner, in my view the business itself is hardly liable. Trying to control the economic activity of the neighborhood is not the way to keep people in their homes, legally speaking. There simply aren't the same regulations against running a business of your choice as there are for harassing tenants."

http://theqatparkside.blogspot.com/2015/06/tonight-cb9-elections-tomorrow-meeting.html

• Godspeed, Corey Noble. Keep your cool!
  • edited June 2015
    The owner of Pel's Pies (Allison Pel) had to endure a guantlet when she requested CB9's support for a beer and wine lic.

Over the objections of the "neighborhood preservationists" (one should note that they concern themselves with demographics, not architecture), a majority of the CB9 members supported the application.

It is now a yummy place to get a piece of pie and have a beer.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44870/pels-pies-and-co-new-beer-and-pie-shop-to-open-on-rogers-between-lefferts-lincoln/p1
  • how long do you think the meeting will run? I have something to do this eve but would like to try to pop in...
  • CB9 is usually smart enough to tell attendees that they only have the mtg space until 9:00.

However, they often are not smart enough to adhere to the order of events as listed on the agenda. This not only leads to conspiracy theories, but also causes no one to be able to attend only the specific part of the mtg they wish to endure.

Yea, I know that wasn't what you wanted to hear.
  • edited June 2015
    Mr Noble operates two other pubs, one on Fulton and one on Fourth Ave. There will be no live music. One of the other principals stated he holds 6 alcohol licenses.

In objection to the lic, a rep from the tenants association spoke, stating they had no input over what businesses the landlord is renting to. He also used the opportunity to state the landlord was aggressively flipping the building.

Other members of the CHTU made a similar speech, talking about how the landlord is displacing small businesses by charging them more rent then they can afford. And, repeating that they resent not having larger input re: what happens in the building.
  • edited June 2015
    The owners seek to be open from 3 PM - 4 AM on Sun - Thur, and 1 PM - 4 AM on Fri and Sat.

They would use the building courtyard. So, we might be talking about a storefront in the middle of the row.

They would have a capacity of 61 people.

It appears the board will vote on whether to support this application at the end of the mtg after all of the other other applications are vetted, and all other business is discussed.

Perhaps as a package?

Perhaps individually?
  • Good luck Corey Noble.
  • Which bars does he own?
  • edited June 2015
    I believe they have boring names like Fourth Ave Pub and Fulton Pub, but Rachel will no doubt tell us. She is writing a blurb on it.

Or, you can search by principal on the SLA site.
  • Fulton Grand and Fourth Avenue Pub?

A bar with a backyard on this south side of Franklin is exciting. I'm confused as to which space they are applying for. I don't recall any being vacant except the corner spot, unless they're taking over someone else's lease.
  • Yes, it's the two I mentioned then. I think he and others also own Washington Commons.

Despite the lackluster names, those pubs have a good following. I work by 4th Ave Pub. It's a popular after work happy hour spot.
  • edited June 2015
    I just confirmed they wish to lease the corner spots this thread is already dedicated to.

Somehow, it can access the building's inner courtyard.

• They have to vote individually... also, the building has a court yard but I don't believe the bar plans included an outdoor space.
    The owners seek to be open from 3 PM - 4 AM on Sun - Thur, and 1 PM - 4 AM on Fri and Sat.

They would use the building courtyard. So, we are talking about the storefront in the middle of the row.

They would have a capacity of 61 people.

It appears the board will vote on whether to support this application at the end of the mtg after all of the other other applications are vetted, and all other business is discussed.

Perhaps as a package?

Perhaps individually?
  • edited June 2015
    Fourth Avenue Pub may have a boring name, but the folks have been opening dependable, if less-than-flashy flashy beer bars (Fulton Grand, Washington Commons, etc.) for many moons.
  • edited June 2015
    We agree on that.   However, I am pretty sure I heard them talk about wanting to use the courtyard and how they would be good neighbors re: same.

The courtyard looks large.  Here's the obligatory google aerial shot:   https://goo.gl/maps/Xqtyg

Note, the SLA gets to vet the courtyard idea if the proposal includes it.
  • I wonder how the tenants of the building will react to them using the courtyard.
  • edited June 2015
    Update:   Rachel says she didn't hear anything about the courtyard.    Maybe they just talked about how there would be no noise in the courtyard.
  • It'd be difficult in a building like that to use the courtyard. Maybe they can use the sidewalk space in the front? The side on Union is definitely wide enough. I can't think of other businesses that have used inner courtyards of those big pre wars. When it's the backyard of a small building, you only need to please a few tenants. In this case, a lot of apartments will be facing the courtyard and I'm sure they wouldn't all be happy.

Their three other bars have outdoor spaces (two backyard and one sidewalk), so they'll probably try to make it work somehow.
  • Yes, sidewalk use will reportedly be requested in the future.   It is not part of this application.

Screen shot 2015-06-23 at 9.39.17 PM
  • CB9 voted to support the request. I think the vote was 21-13.

Some of the "no" voters stated that their rationale was that it would make the corner less safe.
  • The corners around that intersection often have sketchy figures and business going on. It's been better lately though. New businesses will deter them, unless they are businesses that attract these types. This bar probably won't.
  • edited June 2015
    Union Franklin One is being created by some of the same principals that are creating this bar in Bushwick:

https://www.tran.sla.ny.gov/servlet/ApplicationServlet?pageName=com.ibm.nysla.data.publicquery.PublicQuerySuccessfulResultsPage&validated=true&serialNumber=1285216&licenseType=OP

This businesses will likely target similar demographics.
  • I think this will likely make the corner safer. More eyes on the street are always a good thing.
  • edited June 2015
    I find it difficult to attribute the area's local crime scene (which consists of pretty open drug dealing and somewhat frequent shootings) to the former businesses on this corner. They seemed to cater to women seeking braids, and people seeking low price bags, socks and hats.

• I agree with crownheightster. I will feel safer walking past later in the evening than if there was nothing there.
  • I find it difficult to attribute the area's local crime scene (which consists of pretty open drug dealing and somewhat frequent shootings) to the former businesses on this corner. They seemed to cater to women seeking braids, and people seeking low price bags, socks and hats.

I don't think anyone's saying those businesses cause crime— just that they close at, say, 7 or 9PM so their proprietors can go home, and then they're nothing but a closed roll-down gate.

Whereas a bar will stay open until 2AM or so, with customers sitting near the windows or on the sidewalk with cell phones, ready to call 911 if they notice something amiss. Eyes on the Street, per Jane Jacobs.
  • edited June 2015
    I agree, the customers at this new bar will be a positive influence on the local crime rate. In addition to their eyes, ears and cell phones, they will bring money.

Together with lots of other factors presently in play, in just a few years, the police will likely look like they are doing an awesome job deterring crime.

Rachel's piece on last night: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150624/crown-heights/franklin-avenue-bar-approved-for-liquor-license-over-concerns-from-locals
  • When people are concerned by a bar making the area less safe, I'm assuming they are thinking of instances where similar businesses have atttacted trouble. For example, quite a few people on here seem to think 95 South has attracted its fair share of drama.

There are also liquor stores and bodegas that at least tolerate shady people hanging out in front. I don't feel comfortable with the many guys who hang around the bodega between EP and Union on Franklin (close to Owl & Thistle). Several of them frequently harass women who walk by and their conversations make me uncomfortable. The owner tolerates and entertains them. It's one of the few bodegas in the area that still has bulletproof glass, which perhaps says something.

So while most businesses don't cause crime, I do think certain businesses can in one way or another influence the safety or perceived safety of the area around it.
  • edited June 2015
    This evening the police are checking licenses and registrations.  [We are looking at the NW corner of Franklin and Union, the bar being discussed will be located on the NE corner]

Photo:   CITkpGOWEAArUJz
  • edited October 2015
    imageConstruction has begun on the storefront that will become a bar.

• This will be great for this stretch of Franklin.  Agree with Brooklyneya more eyes and ears here will benefit everyone.
  • This will be great for this stretch of Franklin.  Agree with Brooklyneya more eyes and ears here will benefit everyone.

Let's have more eyes and ears further south too (looking at the stretch between President and Carroll).
  • edited October 2015
    President St (between Washington and Bedford) is one of the few places west of Nostrand in CH where I still see street level drug sales.
  • There are a couple of guys who hang out on the northwest corner of Frankin and Union in the morning. They stand towards Union, kind of peaking out. Anyone else notice them? I assume they are drug dealers. I see them frequently in that same spot.
  • There are a couple of guys who hang out on the northwest corner of Frankin and Union in the morning. They stand towards Union, kind of peaking out. Anyone else notice them? I assume they are drug dealers. I see them frequently in that same spot.

Why do you assume they are drug dealers?
  • Maybe it's all just coincidence, but-- they stand right around the corner towards Union, appearing to kind of peek out to Franklin every now and then. I've seen them in the same spot many, many times. They are out there when lots of the high school kids are heading to school and hanging out. A bunch of times there was a guy in front of that yellow bodega between Union and EP who seemed to be standing there "on the look out" exchanging glances with them. It happened several days back to back with the same people in the same location. My work schedule changed so I missed it for awhile then went back to that time for a few days months later and the same guys were around at the same spot. It's a barren corner, so there doesn't seem to be a good reason why they'd just be hanging out there every morning.

Again, maybe it's all in my head, but not sure why I'd get that sense. I don't think I'm very paranoid in general nor quick to judge. Maybe it's not drugs, but there's something weird about them.
  • Many of the same people have been hanging out on this block for years. They just live here. I'm sure some may sell drugs occasionally, but most just hang out and do not much.
  • edited November 2015
    Hopefully that's the case. There are guys hanging around the neighborhood all the time and I generally wouldn't assume anything shady is going on. There's just something about where they stand and how they look out onto franklin that makes it looks like they're trying to avoid being seen or something.
  • They've been working on this space fairly regularly of late.  The bar looks complete, Edison bulbs are hung, still a good amount of work to do, but it's looking more and more like a bar.  I'd estimate a summer opening, assuming there aren't any issues obtaining a liquor license or anything like that.

On a related note, the bodega in the middle of the block that others have mentioned (the one that always seems to have dude's loitering out in front of it who seem to be a bit, uh hyper-vigilant, shall we say), has been closed up for the last week or two. It's unclear to me whether they're closing it or renovating it, but I figured I'd mention it here.  Until I had more credible information I didn't want to start another thread.  Anyone hear anything about what's going on with this space? 
  • I had the same question about that bodega. It closing up was a shocker, but the dudes that hang in front of it are the worst offenders in terms of saying HORRIBLE SH*T to my wife when she is walking by herself down Franklin.

Also, I love that "Edison bulbs are hung" is 100% a requirement of opening a bar now.
  • edited February 2016
    I wonder if the new bar will have bespoke artisan tables made from wood reclaimed from bowling alleys.
  • they closed for renovations.
  • we left CH a few months ago but i still check in here by habit.

This bodega "remodeled" a couple of years ago I thought?  As in, new vinyl tiles over the crappy vinyl tiles.

There's very few open businesses on Franklin that are a blight.  I lived on Franklin and EP for 15 years and... yeah, that place was a disaster all the time.  
  • I think the bar will be done in a few weeks. It looks messy, but the bulk of the work is done. They seem to be working on the final details.

And I was happy see bodega look shut down. I agree about the creepy dudes. Maybe the renovations and temporary shut down will disperse the group and it will re-open as a less shady bodega, though I'm not too hopeful.
  • edited February 2016
    Bars usually open the weekend after the SLA permit is granted.    Their permit is still pending: 

Serial Number:1290823
       License Type:ON-PREMISES LIQUOR
       License Status:Pending
       Credit Group:1
       Filing Date:12/01/2015
       Effective Date:
       Expiration Date:

Premises Information
       Principal's Name:RABINOWITZ, JACOB 
    NOBLE, COREY 
    WIEBE, STEVEN 
    GREENBERGER, JESSE
       Premises Name:UNION FRANKLIN ONE INC
       Trade Name:
       Zone:1
       Address:829-35 FRANKLIN AVE

BROOKLYN, NY 11225
       County:KINGS

• edited February 2016
    BTW, I am kinda sad that the video that the corner guys made of themselves (linked above in June 2015) seems to have been deleted from youtube.