Shooting on Franklin between Park and Sterling 5/18/15 - Brooklynian

Shooting on Franklin between Park and Sterling 5/18/15

Three shots fired. Shooter and others ran southeast toward Sterling.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    May 18, 2015

Anyone hit?
  • Yes, someone in front of Little Zelda's
  • edited May 2015
    At least two ambulances showed up. Witnesses say cops showed up within a minute.
  • Not sure if anyone was hit but one man with a bloody face and carrying a baby /toddler ran North on Franklin immediately afterward. Shooter ran the other direction.
  • edited May 2015
    NYC ALERTS:

Brooklyn: Franklin Ave & Sterling Place. @NYPD77Pct on scene with a male shot, requesting EMS on a rush. Crime scene being established.
    6:55pm - 18 May 15
  • Not sure if anyone was hit but one man with a bloody face and carrying a baby /toddler ran North on Franklin immediately afterward. Shooter ran the other direction.
    They ran into a planter when the shooting started.

• Can we get a description of the person shot and people fleeing?
  • Still not sure if a person was actually hit by the shots. I saw a lighter skinned African American man bleeding from the nose or mouth run North on Franklin. The shooter was an African American man wearing a black t-shirt. There is blood on the ground in front of Little Zelda.
  • Can we get a description of the person shot and people fleeing?
    Shooter was wearing a black hoodie or so I've heard.
  • Why are you asking for a descrip of the people fleeing?? 
  • edited May 2015
    Were those fleeing with the shooter?

BTW, several police scanner sites are reporting someone was indeed shot.
  • Hi, I'm a reporter with DNAinfo.com, trying to get in touch with Dougall Currie to talk about what you saw. My email is gwynnes.hogan@gmail.com my phone number is 917-690-1086. Is there a way I can get in touch?
    Gwynne
  • Still not sure if a person was actually hit by the shots. I saw a lighter skinned African American man bleeding from the nose or mouth run North on Franklin. The shooter was an African American man wearing a black t-shirt. There is blood on the ground in front of Little Zelda.

• Hi, I'm a reporter with DNAinfo.com, trying to get in touch with Dougall Currie to talk about what you saw. My email is gwynnes.hogan@gmail.com my phone number is 917-690-1086. Is there a way I can get in touch?
    Gwynne
    Try private messaging.
  • edited May 2015
    Scene out side Little Zelda.image

Please contact me before publishing image. Image is protected.
  • It must have been terrifying for the parent with child to be in s line of fire. My god.
  • MODMOD
    edited May 2015
     @fritsyg, if you use member content or images, please get permission from the member to do so and credit Brooklynian as well. Thanks!
  • edited May 2015
    I think the increased shootings have more to do with the temperature than policing. As the weather gets hot, so do tempers.
  • I predict that tipped over stroller is going to be published widely.    

....it will suck the readers right in.
  • And, yeah, poor guy with baby. :(

• Most of those photos are from the scene on Sterling between Franklin and Bedford, where the victim ran after the shooting.
  • edited May 2015
    A local just posted this account to CNN's ireport.

Warning graphic photo of shot teen if you click:    http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1242772

"Teen shot in Crown Heights Brooklyn NY. I heard two extreamly loud
    shots ring out and the police came within minutes. The Teen was still
    breathing and talking to medics, they bandaged up two bullet wounds on
    his left rib cage area. I whitnesed people running from the scene and
    taking cover. As I entered my apartment building tenants we hiding out
    in the hallway afraid to walk outside."
  • edited May 2015
    While I'm saddened by the shooting, I'm very pleased by the police response time. Certainly wouldn't have learned of this incident without Brooklynian, so thanks dougallcurrie as well!

I've noticed that there are several blocks that still are "problem" blocks as far as safety goes around where I am. Some of these include St. Marks between Grand and Classon, and St. John's off Washington. 

I hope we don't see too much more of this as the weather warms up. 
  • I think the last shooting on that stretch of Franklin was back in January:   http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/45082/photo-of-suspects-in-shooting-on-franklin-and-lincoln-monday-jan-5-2015/p1

As a result, the NYPD have had to staff that tower thing for months.

I wonder if any of the cameras mounted to it, or the various poles in the area, caught photos of the suspects before or after the shooting....
  • So.....I heard that it was the guy WITH the baby that shot the teen. That someone came up to him and tried to take the baby, they got into a scuffle and then fired shots and ran away. Hence the bloody face from the fight.  
  • I agree.....the cops need to take lessons from the TSA.....they don't give a crap, they frisk babies or anyone they feel like. And I'm guessing they X-ray coffins that are being shipped by plane as well.
  • edited May 2015
    Mod note: Stop and frisk discussion has been moved to Brooklyn Politics.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/45646/stop-and-frisk
  • Hrm. I don't think that's accurate about the shooter being the man with the baby. Pretty sure the shooter ran south away from Little Zelda while the man with the baby ran north on Franklin.
  • This person told me that they found the guy who got shot all the way on Bedford. He said 4 people were involved. 
  • The picture of the shot teen in the link above is on Bedford? Was more than one person hit? Seems odd that if he was hit in front of Little Zelda's that he could make it a few blocks over to Bedford.

• I think only one person was hit, and he eventually fell down on Sterling between Franklin and Bedford. The police had that area cordoned off right away. The man I saw with a bloodied face and the baby was running the opposite direction, north on Franklin away from the shooting.
  • edited May 2015
    Do we have any updates on how that guy (who was shot) is doing?
  • edited May 2015
    I'm on the list of people who gets incident reports/alerts from the 77th Pct.

Because this teen was hit twice and seemingly injured pretty seriously, it will probably result in a report.

They usually wait until some of the info is sorted out, and they haven't sent out the notice yet.

If he dies, they will definitely send out a report.
  • edited May 2015
    It could be that the guy who got shot was the one who began the assault on the guy with the baby...and then the scuffle led to him getting hurt.

But also, having a baby does not automatically make one innocent.

I guess we'll find out sooner or later.
  • edited May 2015
    DNA.info is stating the injured 17 year old was in stable condition, and the suspects had yet to be arrested as of this morning.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150519/crown-heights/17-year-old-injured-franklin-avenue-shooting-crown-heights

That overturned stroller is "if it bleeds, it leads" gold.

I'm kinda surprised The Post has not covered it as well.
  • I heard two shots, then saw everyone run for cover into shops and stores. I ran over to see what happend. Two teens shot at eachother, one teen was laying on the sidewalk with bullet wounds on his left rib cage. Still breathing when taken away by ambulance. The other suspect ran from the scene. I took photos on the scene and posted the Incident to CNN iReport.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1242772

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1242774
  • Photo on Crown Height shooting
  • edited May 2015
    Just for clarity: The photos you link were taken on Sterling (edit). So, the injured was able to go some distance before collapsing.
  • The kid who ran from the scene after being shot collapsed on Sterling between Franklin and Bedford, which is the location of this photo.
  • To the OP...you totally saw one of the shooters.

The guy with the baby shot the other kid and then ran with the baby after getting shot in the face
  • Well, tells you how reliable my eyes are. I could have sworn only one of them fired a gun. Is there not any surveillance footage from businesses on the block that would reveal exactly how this went down?
  • Well, tells you how reliable my eyes are. I could have sworn only one of them fired a gun. Is there not any surveillance footage from businesses on the block that would reveal exactly how this went down?
    The NYPD was going door to door asking businesses if they had cameras. So I'd figure they'll get something.

• edited May 2015
    If this shooting had happened in a less populated/wealthy area, it is less likely that it would have received any media. The police would likely have a more difficult time tracking down suspects.

1. There are fewer bloggers.
    2. There are fewer reporters reading said blogs.
    3. There are fewer businesses with functioning outdoor cameras.
    4. There is less trust of the police, and more fear of reprisals for cooperating with them.
    5. There are fewer people with the knowledge and interest in uploading photos.
  • Interestingly, when I came home last night there was a mini RIP shrine up at the corner of Lincoln and Franklin with the date of death being 5/19/15. I wondered if the victim didn't make it, but it seems now like that might have been some other person that died in the neighborhood.
  • If this shooting had happened in a less populated/wealthy area, it is less likely that it would have received any media. 
    Well, that's funny because I haven't seen it anywhere in the major news sites. iCNN is a self-reporting cite. I'm surprised it didn't make the news with the baby and all....
  • edited May 2015
    As a result of being self reporting, I feel iCNN has too much news to be useful to anyone in a given area.

So, my thoughts really relate to areas such as Brownsville.

To my knowledge, those areas lack the (admittedly not very powerful) microphones that Brooklynian and DNA.info provide, and (in general) the folks who live out there don't have very powerful followers on their twitter feeds.

A tipped over baby carriage doesn't seem to be enough; To get a lot of coverage you might need to have a shootout and/or a fight in McDonald's with video.

Extra points if the audience gets to see a purple bra: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-shows-brutal-beating-of-teen-in-brooklyn-mcdonalds/
  • Interestingly, when I came home last night there was a mini RIP shrine up at the corner of Lincoln and Franklin with the date of death being 5/19/15. I wondered if the victim didn't make it, but it seems now like that might have been some other person that died in the neighborhood.
    If it's the same sign I saw (with the flowers), it was a memorial sign- that kid died in 2010. 
  • According to the detectives on the case, the kid is still alive.
  • edited May 2015
    That's good news.   

I wonder if they are getting close to naming a suspect or making an arrest.   My suspicion is that they have previously postponed sending out Community Advisories when they are close to making an arrest, until after said arrest.

I would do the same thing.
  • edited May 2015
    Word from the 77th Pct is that they will publish an advisory shortly.

Thanks, DI Lott.
  • Good news he's alive?  I'll save my judgement until I know how upstanding and innocent he is.  Right now the accounts are confusing and sound like both were shooters.
  • At least we won't have another murder statistic for the babe, @goldemi1
  • @goldemi1 Of course it's good news the man is alive, regardless of how "upstanding" he is. It's pretty heartless to say that just because the young man may have also been a shooter, we should be rooting for his death...
  • The fewer shooters alive and on the streets, the fewer innocent bystanders (such as babies) will be shot...
  • I'm for fewer shooters, personally.
  • edited June 2015
    The police have now released photos of the suspects, taken as they entered the Park Place Shuttle station

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150602/crown-heights/two-suspects-wanted-for-shooting-of-17-year-old-on-franklin-avenue

They appear to be about the same age as the teenager that was shot: 17.

• The teenager that was shot was the one with the baby, right?
  • edited June 2015
    It seems clear that this teen was shot, and managed to run south a few blocks before collapsing: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1242772

I have not seen/heard any mention of HIM having a baby. I have also not seen/heard that he was running with a baby, or gave a baby to someone else. He and the two suspects seem to have all run south. Perhaps the victim was running AFTER the suspect?

But lets return to the guy with baby:
    I think the person with the baby ended up with a bloody face as a result of fleeing violence that he was not the perpetrator of, or intended target of. According to a few sources, he and baby fled north.

....but the police are investigating same.

I am merely speculating based on very limited information.
  • The teen who was shot did not have the baby. He ran south on Franklin toward Sterling, where he eventually collapsed. The person I saw with a bloodied face was running north on Franklin and was carrying a baby. Whether he was a shooter, I do not know. He was a light-skinned African-American.