2nd fatal stabbings within 3 blocks, and 5 hours. Eastern Pkwy and Schenectady. June 11, 12:20 AM - Brooklynian

2nd fatal stabbings within 3 blocks, and 5 hours. Eastern Pkwy and Schenectady. June 11, 12:20 AM

Note, there is a typo below, the scene is on the 77th Pct side of EP.   They are investigating, not the 71st.

"Brooklyn: 1063 eastern parkway, male stabbed. Transported to kings county hospital in traumatic arrest. @NYPD71Pct o/s investigating"
data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,aB_zRGWTUS6ha-DTiNrRt3IsT1e98hnw9q0WMaN7N6vUkbW96xaCPuEugqgeHTo5o4YhMLa-cGuMHbehVMiV5RejLgA-8CJdi8_su0QVAZfOMGgQAwm3c9jWiu4

Comments

• edited June 2015
    This stabbing is rumored to be related to a fatal stabbing that happened less than 3 blocks away, and approx 5 hours before:   http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/comment/562354#Comment_562354

In fact, an early report is that the perpetrator of the first stabbing has been stabbed.  It is not known whether he stabbed himself, or whether he has been stabbed by someone else. 

Media reports in the AM will likely confirm or disprove same.
  • This fatal stabbing is now reportedly not related to the other fatal stabbing that occurred nearby and within hours:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Teen-Fatally-Stabbed-Crown-Heights-Brooklyn-Sneaker-Store-NYPD-306872761.html
  • edited June 2015
    The name of the deceased has been disclosed:
    "Another teen, identified as 17-year-old John Garrett, was fatally stabbed just one block over, on Eastern Parkway, hours later. Garrett was taken to Kings County Hospital with stab wounds to his body where he was pronounced dead on arrival."

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Teen-Fatally-Stabbed-Crown-Heights-Brooklyn-Sneaker-Store-NYPD-306872761.html

• edited June 2015
    (duplicate post)
  • Gal from 1280 St. Johns was just in my office. Said she knew this kid since he was little. Had no answer when I asked what he was doing out at midnight when there was school today.
  • edited June 2015
    Given that both people killed in these incidents were teens, it would not surprise me if a large number of people knew them.

Both of these incidents happened with in the catchment of SOS Crown Heights, so I expect that they (we) will organize a response.

• In this incident I'm just wondering what the parents were doing when their teen was out past midnight. But I'm sure they'll spill a bunch of tears in front of the tv cameras.
  • edited June 2015
    This is reportedly a photo of him:
    .image
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ADiLorenzoTV/status/608971722784669696/photo/1

The poster states he was a student at automotive school. [It is not clear whether it is a city run school, or one of those private trade schools advertised on the subway.]

I assume Pix11 verified same prior to running the story: http://pix11.com/2015/06/11/two-teens-killed-less-than-a-block-apart-in-brooklyn-as-nypd-begins-anti-crime-initiative/

His classmates will likely miss him as well.
  • edited June 2015
    DNA is now reporting the two teens killed last night knew each other, and has published more photos:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150611/crown-heights/teen-stabbed-death-fight-on-crown-heights-street-police-say
  • Some of my students knew "John John". They are sad today. Automotive is a public school.
  • @pragmaticguy, I hope the day never comes that you lose a child and strangers question the legitimacy of your tears.
  • In this incident I'm just wondering what the parents were doing when their teen was out past midnight. But I'm sure they'll spill a bunch of tears in front of the tv cameras.

dude just shut up
  • Gal from 1280 St. Johns was just in my office. Said she knew this kid since he was little. Had no answer when I asked what he was doing out at midnight when there was school today.
    I'm sure she just thought you were really weird for asking the quesiton at that particular moment.
  • Not at all. Told me the kid lived in the building.
  • edited June 2015
    @pragmaticguy, I hope the day never comes that you lose a child and strangers question the legitimacy of your tears.
    I'm not questioning the legitimacy of their tears. I'm stating that they just maybe they could have avoided this if they were more watchful. And even though they might not express it I'm sure many on here agree with me.
  • It is not yet clear to me whether the police are hunting two suspects in these two stabbings, or one.
  • Totally agree with you, Pragmatic. Every time some teenager is shot/stabbed/whatever, whether by police or gangs or whatever, everyone being interviewed proclaims that the teenager was a good guy, fine student, kind person, helped old ladies across streets, eagle scout, or choir/altar boy. It's amazing how NONE of them was ever a thug. A real statistical anomaly.

Perhaps his teachers could tell us about the decedent's attendance, disciplinary, and academic records.
  • No one has proclaimed that these kids are little angels. However, angels or not, they are young and their deaths are sad. That said, if they had an extremely terrible record, it would have been all over the news by now, so my guess and based on what their friends say, they're probably not terrible kids.

Yes, some parents are not doing a great job for a myriad of reasons. That still does not make it ok to mock a parent's grieving of their child, especially since, as of now, your knowledge of the parents or the kids is zero, except the time of day that they were out. They're also 18, not 12. Was your bed time 9pm when you were 18?

Just for clarification--I do not work at Automotive, but another public school in the area, which is why only a few of my students happened to know him.

As someone who works with these very types of kids, I can tell you that if you worked with them and knew them on a personal level, knew their family/social situation, economic status, insecurities, etc....you wouldn't be making these types of comments (pragmaticguy and morralkan). Most of them are sweet kids at heart who make bad decisions for various reasons. It's easy to judge when you've had a different upbringing, and belong to a completely different culture with a very different history.

I'll leave you with this incident that just happened yesterday. I had to pull in a big, tall 16-17 yr old boy from outside after school because he beat up another kid. We rarely have fights in our school, so I was really pissed off at the boy. I angrily sat him down with the principal and I. Yet as we let him explain what happened from his perspective, he started crying as he told us,
    saying the other boy kept cursing his mother out. This is not a "bad" kid. This is a boy who has been bullied, who has low self esteem, who's experienced beating at home, has rarely had any altercations with other students, was in a bad mood, felt embarrassed by the other student's comments which happened in front of a lot of students, and he just snapped. If you just walked by in the street and saw the fight, the two of you would have probably called him a "thug".

• While its very possible that this kid wasn't a choirboy, I think its vile that you assume because he was out late that he wasn't. My 17 year old participates in many things and especially at this time of year there are school related events that run late, even on weeknights. Some of the ones that I've experienced in the last couple of weeks are team awards dinners and banquets (8-11pm), jr and sr proms for private schools whose school year is on a different calendar (most of those end at midnight), school productions (10-11pm end time), etc. Remember in NYC public schools kids self-transport to and from school events (games, competitions, etc in NYC are all done on public transit no mater how far the distance). Hell, the report says it was 11:30pm and he was on his way home. He could just as easily been coming from a part time job.

If I had to guess, his parents were probably waiting for him to come home. Cause that's what parents (even black ones) do.   
  • Those interested in learning what local parents, adults without children, and teens are doing to address violence in Crown Heights are welcome to join a gathering that takes place on Friday, June 12th at 5:00 PM on Utica near Lincoln.

SOS Crown Heights.
  • edited June 2015
    Screen shot 2015-06-11 at 11.38.03 PM
    The NYPD is presently seeking the couple above as well as the people below in connection with the two fatal stabbings.    For better resolution, click here:  http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Photo-Released-Suspect-Fatal-Sneaker-Store-Stabbing-Teen-Crown-Heights-307081661.html

Screen shot 2015-06-11 at 11.37.32 PM
  • On a different tack, just had two detectives come into my office. Thought they were working the stabbings. Turns out someone was shot last night on Troy between St. Johns and Sterling. My letter carrier seemed to allude to it when she came in earlier but I'm surprised there was nothing about it on here.
  • edited June 2015
    You are not on a different tack.

The NYPD is investigating that shooting and believes it may relate to the stabbings:

U/D Brooklyn: Troy Avenue & St. JohnS Pl, male shot, Aided died over night in kings county hospital. Incident may-be related to 2 stabbings
    8:48 AM - 12 Jun 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/NYCityAlerts/status/609356711841804288?p=v

Here are some more details on that shooting, as well as a contradictory statement that the 3 homicides are believed to NOT be related: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/man-30-dies-shot-head-brooklyn-street-article-1.2255831

....these threads are far from done.
  • I really hope they are. S.O.S. doesn't need the business and the locals don't need the grief.
  • I certainly hope the killing is done.

...but I would like to update the threads with arrest(s) and convictions.
  • Hopefully sooner than later.
  • edited June 2015
    Indeed.

Screen shot 2015-06-13 at 11.42.07 AM

BTW, I have yet to hear of an arrest in any of the 3 recent murders.   I also have not heard from someone in authority that the police believe them to be related.

• If I'm back in by then, I'll check out the rally at 7pm. 
  • edited June 2015
    The rallies are interesting.

In my experience, they are best thought of as a way that SOS staff introduces themselves to the community, or reminds the area that they are available.

In other words, the regular attendees seem aware that chanting into a megaphone and passing out branded bracelets, postcards, etc after a killing is (alone) not going to prevent future killings.

...but if dong so causes someone to later alert them to an opportunity to intervene in the life of someone known to be violent and/or the moments between when someone at high risk of committing violence gets pissed off and confronts their opponent, real progress can be made.

http://www.courtinnovation.org/sites/default/files/documents/SOS_Evaluation.pdf

• edited June 2015
    The NYDN is reporting the 18 y/o killed on EP made a call to a friend just before he was killed, and that he seemed to know he was in over his head, and needed immediate help.

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/brooklyn-teen-stabbed-phone-pal-death-article-1.2256399?utm_content=buffera78c0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=NYDN+Facebook

• edited June 2015
    It may be just me, but the NYPD seems to be now clearly articulating which suspects are wanted in connection with which stabbing.     These are the suspects in this one:

Screen shot 2015-06-15 at 8.26.05 PM
  • edited July 2015
    Suspects arrested.

"Donasia Vassell, 20, and Jermaine Matthews, 18, were arrested around
    12:15 a.m. and charged with murder and possession of a weapon, police
    said. The motive may have been nothing more than the suspects and victim
    bumping into each other on the street, police said."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/cops-bust-pair-17-year-old-brooklyn-boy-fatal-stabbing-article-1.2285066
  • edited July 2015
    Insane!  All for bumping...  Scary thought.  That can happen to anyone.
  • It could.

...but in my experience, young people tend to be much less offended when the thing is done by someone not part of their peer group.

"Intent to disrespect" is not as readily assumed.

Hence, as a slightly portly, 46 y/o white guy, I tend to believe that had I simply acknowledged that I bumped into Donasia or Jermaine, and moved on, I'd have been fine.
  • It could.

...but in my experience, young people tend to be much less offended when the thing is done by someone not part of their peer group.

"Intent to disrespect" is not as readily assumed.

Hence, as a slightly portly, 46 y/o white guy, I tend to believe that had I simply acknowledged that I bumped into Donasia or Jermaine, and moved on, I'd have been fine.
    Would you bet your life on that?

Someone should get the stats on how dangerous walking is vs. driving/being driven...
  • edited July 2015
    I tend not to bet in such circumstances, and instead go with apologetic.

Re: the statisticians, I think they are busy collecting other stats.

Some are collecting data on how many people murdered in NYC were killed by people unknown to them: http://nypost.com/2014/01/05/odds-that-youll-be-killed-by-a-stranger-in-nyc-on-the-decline/

Answer: Not many

Others are writing reports that read: "The current study evaluated a range of social influences including misdemeanor arrests, drug arrests, cocaine consumption, alcohol consumption, firearm availability, and incarceration that may be associated with changes in gun-related homicides by racial/ethnic group in New York City (NYC) from 1990 to 1999. Using police precincts as the unit of analysis, we used cross-sectional, time series data to examine changes in Black, White, and Hispanic homicides, separately. Bayesian hierarchical models with a spatial error term indicated that an increase in cocaine consumption was associated with an increase in Black homicides. An increase in firearm availability was associated with an increase in Hispanic homicides. Last, there were no significant predictors for White homicides."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3275435/

Conclusion: I've got it pretty good.
  • @southeast -
    More info is being learned.

"Garrett was reportedly part of group that was verbally harassing Matthews’ girlfriend, Donasia Vassell, 20, sources said.

An argument ensued, and Matthews allegedly stabbed Garrett with a knife handed to him by Vassell, sources said.

According to a Facebook message exclusively obtained by the Daily News, one of Garrett’s friends admitted to hitting Matthews with a crate before the bloodshed."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/families-brawl-brooklyn-arraignment-alleged-killer-article-1.2287421

• If u don't no facts u shouldn't go assuming John was my brother he got hungry he asked could he go to McDonald's which was right around the corner this could of happened in broad daylight he did nothing to no 1 wounderful kid had no criminal background never been arrested for nothing & THE KILLERS the boy was already on probation & the girl was arrested 2 weeks b 4 DO YOUR HOMEWORK PPL
  • edited September 2015
    If u don't no facts u shouldn't go assuming John was my brother he got hungry he asked could he go to McDonald's which was right around the corner this could of happened in broad daylight he did nothing to no 1 wounderful kid had no criminal background never been arrested for nothing & THE KILLERS the boy was already on probation & the girl was arrested 2 weeks b 4 DO YOUR HOMEWORK PPL
    I can't imagine how tough the loss is for your family, Tima.  Very sorry; hang in there.  

And I'm sorry for the disgusting posts you had to read in this thread.  Morralkan for one has regularly made it clear he is a racist; unfortunately he is able to dump his garbage on many threads here.  But that's the internet, sadly.  He's a coward and not representative of most other people here who are very saddened by the death of your brother, a neighbor in our community.

MOD NOTE:  the opinions posted in the last paragraph of this comment, concerning another Brooklynian member, are inconsistent with the Rules of this site and do not represent the views of the site.
  • If u don't no facts u shouldn't go assuming John was my brother he got hungry he asked could he go to McDonald's which was right around the corner this could of happened in broad daylight he did nothing to no 1 wounderful kid had no criminal background never been arrested for nothing & THE KILLERS the boy was already on probation & the girl was arrested 2 weeks b 4 DO YOUR HOMEWORK PPL
    I can't imagine how tough the loss is for your family, Tima.  Very sorry; hang in there.  

And I'm sorry for the disgusting posts you had to read in this thread.  Morralkan for one has regularly made it clear he is a racist; unfortunately he is able to dump his garbage on many threads here.  But that's the internet, sadly.  He's a coward and not representative of most other people here who are very saddened by the death of your brother, a neighbor in our community.
    I'll second what Mike said. I can't even imagine having to go through something like this, and to have people attack his character in the aftermath of tragedy is despicable.  

Beyond blatant racism (which can definitely be seen at times on these boards), there's a psychological phenomenon known as belief in a just world.  The idea is that we want to believe that the world is just, so if it is unjust we manufacture justifications for why some tragic event happened.  So if a kid gets shot, it was because he was out too late.  If a woman gets raped, similarly she is accused of being out too late, or being too scantily clad, or any other number of ways that we rationalize what happened. The reason we do this is that if we have to admit that tragedies like this happen for no good reason at all and there really isn't that much we can do to prevent them then we're all equally likely to have the same thing happen to us and our loved ones, to our sons, to our daughters, to the people we love, which is too terrifying for most people to deal with.  So they cast aspersions on victims.  It's awful, and while sometimes it does come from a place of malice, many times we simply do it to reassure and convince ourselves that we're safe in spite of all the obvious evidence to the contrary.  We're simply fortunate, and rather than denigrate those who haven't been so fortunate, we should simply acknowledge our good fortune, mourn the dead in the knowledge that it could just as easily have been us or our loved ones, and try to resist our most basic, fear-driven, self-interested impulses.  The alternative is to indulge in the nonsense posted earlier in this thread, which is a shame for anyone to have to read, let alone the victim's family member.  I hope your family can find some peace in spite of this awful tragedy.
  • edited August 23
    Fast forward two years: The attacker was sentenced to 18 years today. http://www.brooklyneagle.com/articles/2017/8/23/20-year-old-gets-18-years-fatal-stabbing-during-argument-crown-heights "A Brooklyn man was sentenced to 18 years in prison Wednesday for fatally stabbing a teenager during an argument. Jermaine Matthews, 20, previously pleaded guilty to stabbing 17-year-old John Garrett to death on June 10, 2015 in Crown Heights near Eastern Parkway and Utica Avenue."