Seeds In The Middle And Crown Heights - Brooklynian

Seeds In The Middle And Crown Heights

Hello! I'm Jasmin and I'm new to the Brooklynian! I recently just moved to Crown Heights from East Harlem and am looking to get really active in helping out the community.

I've reached out to an organization called Seeds In The Middle (I'm not sure if you're familiar.) It's a community program that is raising awareness in public school students (and the overall community) on health. They create farmer's markets, teach students about healthy eating, support gardens at local schools, and so much more. It's overall an amazing program that needs some help to raise funds for its various projects!

However, they had to stop a lot of their programs due to lack of funding. I'm looking to reach out to you guys if you possibly know any possible ways of helping out or people who would interested in this organization. Right now, I'm getting a lot of recent graduates, such as myself (I'm an SVA alumni), to band together, or the Seeds In The Middle Action Squad, to help preserve the sense of community through art and awareness.

Ultimately the goal is to raise somewhere between 35k-50k to maintain a farmer's market at a school or two for 7 months. 

Let me know if you have any ideas or are more interested in directly helping out!

Comments

• @jsmnvlcrt -

I am familiar with Seeds in The Middle.    If they are interested in getting $ for their food programs, they should read up on the entities that historically fund such causes:

http://www.healthyfoodaccess.org/funding/grants

http://foundationcenter.org/newyork/

As well as learn how to sustain the org in a very difficult funding and political environment:

http://supportcenteronline.force.com/apex/EventDetailPage?event=l2YOgtHcj5B6njH7SbUdKA_3D_3D

• Thanks! Extremely helpful information! @whynot_31
  • edited August 2015
    Hello! I'm Jasmin and I'm new to the Brooklynian! I recently just moved to Crown Heights from East Harlem and am looking to get really active in helping out the community.

I've reached out to an organization called Seeds In The Middle (I'm not sure if you're familiar.) It's a community program that is raising awareness in public school students (and the overall community) on health. They create farmer's markets, teach students about healthy eating, support gardens at local schools, and so much more. It's overall an amazing program that needs some help to raise funds for its various projects!

However, they had to stop a lot of their programs due to lack of funding. 
    They ran a short-lived farmer's market at the Prospect Park entrance that's near the carousel. (I still have a pepper seedling that I bought from that market.) I was sad to see it go, yet I think the competition from GAP on Saturday would have been fierce.
  • Hello! I'm Jasmin and I'm new to the Brooklynian! I recently just moved to Crown Heights from East Harlem and am looking to get really active in helping out the community.

However, they had to stop a lot of their programs due to lack of funding. 

They ran a short-lived farmer's market at the Prospect Park entrance that's near the carousel. (I still have a pepper seedling that I bought from that market.) I was sad to see it go, yet I think the competition from GAP on Saturday would have been fierce.
    Very true. It's well established. But I think if enough people became involved, they would feel the need to support the Seeds In The Middle market because it directly benefits the african american youth in Crown Heights/Bed-Stuy. GAP is too big to cater to those specific needs.

But I will see if I can directly connect with GAP and gain some advice/contacts that may bring awareness to all of the programs Seeds In The Middle could offer. Thanks for the input!