Testing a new layout ... - Brooklynian

Testing a new layout ...

edited September 2015 in Site Issues
Besides a cleaner look and bigger photos, there are some better user controls in the sidebar. Fingers crossed that this layout might help solve some of the login/logout issues that people are reporting.

What do you think? Post any abnormalities or other observations here...

Comments

• edited September 2015
    On iOS, each time I read a thread (or a single post in a thread), and then return to Home, I appear to be logged out. If I then refresh my browser, I am logged back in. Not a serious problem, but annoying.
  • I like better than the other format. Although I miss knowing how many new comments there, not as many new comments appear in yellow as before. Also, with the old format, I used to be able to click on the bottom to access new comments. Now it appears that to do this, I have to click on the title and it'll automatically scroll down to the most recent comments.
  • edited September 2015
    The bottom link will be added back today. In terms of the yellow comments, I am still seeing them, and it should report the same number of new comments as before, as far as I can tell...
  • this format appears to let me post from IE8.
  • I kinda wish the pics were smaller (a la facebook) to make more room for posts on the first page (see the enormous atlantic antic pic). Also wish the right side bar was thinner for the same reason, but I don't think those are adjustable (?)
  • Besides a cleaner look and bigger photos, there are some better user controls in the sidebar. Fingers crossed that this layout might help solve some of the login/logout issues that people are reporting.

What do you think? Post any abnormalities or other observations here...

I noticed the 'most recent comment' link no longer is a link in the new site.  
  • Two things:

1. There is no link to bring you to the most recent comment in a thread.

2. Can we bring the edit button back?
  • edited September 2015
    The edit button can be accessed by hovering over one of your recent posts.     A gear looking icon will appear on the right.       Click on it.

Yes, the photos on the main page are too big.    
  • Link to most recent comment: restored.
  • Got rid of the Bold.
  • The ability to upload photos from iphone and desktop (firefox) seems to have died.

• Indeed it did. Thanks. Fixed it up. Try now?
  • edited October 2015
    it works

how-to-draw-velma-from-scooby-doo_1_000000000279_5
  • MODMOD
    edited October 2015
    So when you click the global/earth icon next to messages/envelope, a
    grey bar appears that seems to indicate that a drop down preview will
    show up (like the envelope does) but nothing shows. Maybe it was never
    supposed to have a drop down but figured I'd ask. See image attached:

trash
  • So when you click the global/earth icon next to messages/envelope, a
    grey bar appears that seems to indicate that a drop down preview will
    show up (like the envelope does) but nothing shows. Maybe it was never
    supposed to have a drop down but figured I'd ask. See image attached:

trash
    I think I just fixed this - let me know if it works for you?
  • Thanks for adding the link to take us to the latest comment on a thread! :D 
  • MODMOD
    edited October 2015
    EDIT: It works! thanks
  • edited October 2015
    On iOS, each time I read a thread (or a single post in a thread), and then return to Home, I appear to be logged out. If I then refresh my browser, I am logged back in. Not a serious problem, but annoying.
    As of today, this remains an issue for me as well.
  • I'm finding the search function to be a bit slow. I was trying to dig up the thread on East New York. 
  • Thanks for pointing it out. Should be much faster now.
  • The old problem is back:  I get (unintentionally) signed out every time I hit the "Home" button.  I then have to sign in twice before the site recognizes me.
  • Whenever I upload vertical photos from my mobile device, they get posted horizontally. The site doesn't allow me to rotate the photos. 
  • One can overcome this problem by taking the photos in landscape mode.

On a different note, the site seems to be loading faster than it was.

• edited November 2015
    As an amateur photographer, taking everything in landscape mode is annoying. :) 
  • You can flip the photo on you phone and then re upload it.
  • Sorry about that. It's a known issue that can't be fixed, unfortunately.
  • As a result of this quirk, readers who don't sign in (aka lurkers) are not shown the most recent post.

...which means they are missing our latest brilliant insight on how business who do not adapt will perish.
  • Why would a photo flip quirk cause lurkers to not see a recent post?
  • The old problem is back:  I get (unintentionally) signed out every time I hit the "Home" button.  I then have to sign in twice before the site recognizes me.
    This is the quirk that causes people who are not signed in to not get the most recent post
  • edited November 2015

One can overcome this problem by taking the photos in landscape mode.

On a different note, the site seems to be loading faster than it was.
    Tried it; still didn't work. In my most recent thread, the photos are in landscape mode, but they are now upside down. 
  • maybe it only works with my phone.
  • edited November 2015

I just discovered a workaround: 
    • Take a photo on your phone 
    • Select edit, rotate the image once (doesn't matter which direction), and save
    • Select edit again; rotate the image back the way it was before 
    • Upload 
    This displays perfectly. This is annoying, but it's the best workaround until someone out there figures out how to deal with this. It is a problem for many other sites as well.
This discussion has been closed.