Help kids in high-need public schools become lifelong readers. Behind the Book
is a non-profit organization that brings accomplished authors into classrooms to guide students in creating their own writing and art projects. Our programs, which are part of the curricula, build literacy skills and motivate students to read.
No experience or training is necessary to volunteer. You'll coach students as they write, do research, and create artwork. Sign up now for any of these two program dates by contacting email@example.com
. To join our volunteer team and get updates on new programs, please complete the questionnaire at http://www.behindthebook.org/join-us/volunteer/
Author: Steve Metzger
Book: Pluto Visits Earth!
Fourth graders will research planets, write about which one they would be, then solve a problem the planet might encounter.They'll also create sponge-painted
cartoon planets. Part of their research includes a visit to a Hayden Planetarium show.
Author: Barbara Bash
- Writing Coaches: Thursday, December 10th - 9:00 - 10:30 AM
- Field Trip Assistants: Tuesday, December 1st - 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM
- Art Assistants: Monday, November 16th - 9:00 -10:30 AM
Book: Urban Roosts: Where Birds Nest In the City
Third-graders will write about and illustrate an urban bird. Experts from the Audubon Society will accompany them to Prospect Park to observe birds. Their final project will be a mural that includes their birds, nesting sites, and the students’ writing.
- Art Assistants: Friday, November 13th - 10:00 - 11:00 AM
- Field Trip Assistants: Thursday, November 19th - 8:30 - 11:30 AM
- Writing Coaches: Monday, December 7th - 9:00-10:30 AM