Pay by the minute dog parking now available on Washington Avenue — Brooklynian

Pay by the minute dog parking now available on Washington Avenue

12651118_10153973658699617_1309378093337748739_n

One apparently puts their dog in the crate, locks it, and then pays by the minute while they shop.

Or, um, drink.

Comments

• An idea whose time has come?

Russell

• Or you know you can leave your dog at home when you run errands instead of stuffing it in the scary box.
  • Saw this the other day, and while not a dog owner, had some concerns/questions, which seem to be addressed (see dogparker.com) .  There are 'amenities' such as temperature control, time limits, and restrictions such as vaccination requirements.  This does fill a need for people concerned with dog theft which does happen.
  • One seems to need to be a member to utilize the service.
  • Hey, if this box was a little bigger one could do it with kids too.
  • I just saw one of these in use for the time the other day. The very next day, the thing was gone. I still don't see how these ever made money or how they ever will make money. Not sure how they're obstructing anything on the sidewalk though.
  • edited February 4
    I have never seen one in use, so I don't think a lot of people will miss them.
  • That is a horrible idea. Leave your dog at home. How scared they will be in that horrible little box. Woulld u stuff your kid in that? So cruel
  • This weekend's news: https://www.dogparker.com/letter-from-the-founders I never thought it was a great idea, but I did think it was kind of cool. Tried it a few times with our terrior, on trips to grab a cup of coffee. Work out just fine. Most often though, just ended up shaking my head in wonder passsing by a few of these each day, and NEVER once seeing a furry client inside. Still, sad to see it go. Maybe this woulda be their year.
  • Too bad. They were great for when I got tired of hearing my kids complaining about having to walk so much
  • It is likely to late for this project, but I wonder how hard it would be to daisy chain four together and then rent them out via AirBnB.
  • whynot - I think there's a better chance of someone using these as an airbnb rental that someone using one of these dog rentals for an actual dog. Such a waste of material to deploy so many of these. I guess some people were initially amused by them (you can always tell if someone is visiting if they are gawking at these dog boxes), but what a damn waste.
  • edited February 6
    They seemed to have raised $1.5M in seed money for the adventure. https://wefunder.com/dog.parker
  • they're supposedly planning on deploying 2000 of them this year
  • I can't believe they raised that much in seed money. These things seem like a huge waste of plastic and materials. To the investors' point, I have never seen one of these things in use. Who is going to lock up their dog for an hour?
  • I've seen it in use several times, near the Brooklyn Library on EP.
  • In use by a dog or by an out-of-town family gawking at it with stupefied "only in Brooklyn" looks?
  • With a dog inside. I'm sure its purpose is for people who are running errands with their dog, or visiting the green market, or the library. Personally, I walk my dog to spend time with her, and do errands separately. So I don't see having a use for this, except in a pinch once in a blue moon perhaps. But others might have more use.
  • even the ones on the grounds of the Brooklyn Library are now gone.
This discussion has been closed.