Ebbets Field Apartments get a make over - Brooklynian

Comments

• The adjacent playground is getting a make over and renovation.

11048733_1097878513566278_7358380645258342893_n

• If they do one apartment at a time it should only take a decade or two to get the place looking nice.
  • edited February 2016

The apartments are rent stabilized, so it makes financial sense for the landlord to wait until units are vacant before renovating them.

It wouldn't surprise me if they offered $ to the tenants of units on the high floors to move to lower floors.

...in theory, this could allow the entire top floor to cater to those able to pay for renovated units and nice views.. 

• whynot_31 said:

The apartments are rent stabilized, so it makes financial sense for the landlord to wait until units are vacant before renovating them.

It wouldn't surprise me if they offered $ to the tenants of units on the high floors to move to lower floors.

...in theory, this could allow the entire top floor to cater to those able to pay for renovated units and nice views.. 

If they're going to do that, hopefully the offer won't be a lowball one. :) 

The views to the east and to the south are the least obstructed. The view to the north and from some units that face east will have Tivoli Tower included in their view (and whatever else gets developed in that general northeastern direction). 
  • whynot_31 said:

The adjacent playground is getting a make over and renovation.

I think this playground was already renovated twice since the 90s. 
  • edited February 2016

I can't say I have used the swings lately, but the playground appears to be in a state of good repair now.

• The maintenance office was relocated last week into a newly renovated space within the complex.

The management office was renovated within the past two years.

• edited February 2016

Unit 10B was listed 6 days ago on Trulia

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3224450886-220-Montgomery-St-10B-Brooklyn-NY-11225

Gut Renovated 2 Brm in EBBETS FIELD BUILDING COMPLEX *THIS IS A BIG BUILDING Everything is Brand New Amazing OPEN KITCHEN LAYOUT $1850 Including Heat, Hot Water, Gas and Electric (Excludes Air Conditioner) Stainless Steel Appliances Granite Counter Top Laundry Room in Building Parking Available Montgomery Street at Bedford Avenue First Month, Security and Brokers Fee to Move In ACTUAL PICTURES OF THE UNIT            

Information last updated on 02/23/2016 12:00 AM

• Price: $1,850
      • 2 Bedrooms
      • 1 full Bathroom
      • Multi-Family
      • Parking: Garage Attached
      • Neighborhood: Crown Heights
      • Zip: 11225
      • Provided By: Abba Realty Associates Inc
      • 700 sqft

Brooklyn-Crown_Heights_Ebbets_Field_Apartments
  • That unit faces north. Some of the Medgar Evers buildings are visible in those photos.
  • Yup.   And, because it is a 2 BR, it wouldn't surprise me if it was rented by 2 young people who were willing to split the rent.

They could each pay $925.

...which is quite affordable by local standards.

• Stabilized, too, I assume?
  • Yup.    ....which (in my view) makes the units even more attractive.   
  • edited March 2016
    Tonight, the president of the tenants association (Beverly Newsome) stated that 32% of the units are being charged a preferential rent.

• I wonder how many of those tenants were aware of the unit's previous rental history before agreeing to pay preferential rent. (I still don't understand the advantages for a renter to agree to preferential rent.) 
  • A preferential rent is cheaper for the tenant than the landlord could legally charge.  

For example, the landlord did a lot of MCIs on the property, but decided not to pass on the costs to the tenants in the form of increases, but did complete all of the documentation required to legally increase the rent.

Hence, the gap on the lease between the rent being charged and the amount that COULD be charged grows.

...but in the meantime, the present renter does not have to pay this full amount.

Once the present tenant moves out, the landlord often charges the new tenant the max legal amount.    

• Also, my understanding is that a preferential rent can be withdrawn at any time unless it's specifically written into the lease that the preferential rent is in effect for the duration of the lease.
  • edited March 2016

That is not my understanding.   My understanding is that lease is valid for its duration, but a landlord can increase the rent when the lease is renewed (aka "during their tenancy"). 

http://www.nyshcr.org/Rent/factsheets/orafac40.pdf

• whynot_31 said:

A preferential rent is cheaper for the tenant than the landlord could legally charge.  

For example, the landlord did a lot of MCIs on the property, but decided not to pass on the costs to the tenants in the form of increases, but did complete all of the documentation required to legally increase the rent.

Hence, the gap on the lease between the rent being charged and the amount that COULD be charged grows.

...but in the meantime, the present renter does not have to pay this full amount.

Once the present tenant moves out, the landlord often charges the new tenant the max legal amount.    

It still sounds like a deal that can go sour. What if this tenant were to stay and renew the lease? 
  • edited March 2016

If they maintain tenancy, and the lease states that the Pref Rent can't be raised during their tenancy, then there would be no increase in costs to the tenant at the time of lease renewal

• whynot_31 said:

Yup.   And, because it is a 2 BR, it wouldn't surprise me if it was rented by 2 young people who were willing to split the rent.

They could each pay $925.

...which is quite affordable by local standards.

According to Trulia:
    Ideal income for this property is at least
    $66,600 ANNUALLY

Interesting. 
  • Well, if you figure between state, city and federal tax a total of 14% and 7.5% social security that takes away about $14,000 leaving roughly 52K. So, if yearly rent is a tad over 22K that's 40% of income. Just about the proportionate amount of income that should go to rent or mortgage.
  • edited March 2016

Many of the people at the meeting appeared over 65, and a significant amount of time was spent discussing the quality of the food provided by the City Harvest food pantry.

...which makes me believe they are trying to make ends meet on less than $25,000 annually.

About $3k more than the renovated apartment is seeking in rent... 

• edited March 2016
    Well, if you figure between state, city and federal tax a total of 14% and 7.5% social security that takes away about $14,000 leaving roughly 52K. So, if yearly rent is a tad over 22K that's 40% of income. Just about the proportionate amount of income that should go to rent or mortgage.
    $22K is for the entire unit. If the rent is split between two people, how would that impact the calculations?

• They might be in a lower tax bracket and be able to earn less though I figured a nominal rate of 10% federal and about 4% city and state combined. It's what the landlord will accept as well. I have a client who owns a building on Eastern Pkwy and I knew a guy who was looking to rent around there. He made nearly 60K and the apartment was going for $2200. Landlord told me it wasn't enough even though I'm sure he would have paid the rent.
  • edited March 2016

Each building in the complex might get its own advertising.   

Here's the listings for 1720 Bedford, which has about 10 units available;    http://www.apartments.com/ebbetts-field-brooklyn-ny/xge34sq/ 

• edited March 2016
    By the way, I heard that NY Post article is essentially a puff piece - an attempt to drum up advertising. 

If the majority of the units are stabilized, how are there only one-year leases available? I thought stabilized leases lasted either one or two years.
  • edited March 2016

I believe all of the units remain stabilized, not the "majority".  

...let me know if you see a unit advertised from more than the RS cap, $2700. 

Yes, tenants should be able to get a 2 year lease.
     http://www.nycrgb.org/html/resources/faq/decontrol.html

• edited March 2016
    whynot_31 said:

Each building in the complex might get its own advertising.   

Here's the listings for 1720 Bedford, which has about 10 units available;    http://www.apartments.com/ebbetts-field-brooklyn-ny/xge34sq/ 

By the way, the Bedford Avenue side of the complex faces the area where Carey Gabay was shot last year
  • edited March 2016
    What is the address of the building that faces Prospect Park?    ...the units in that building might go for more $ as a result of the views.
  • edited March 2016
    whynot_31 said:
    What is the address of the building that faces Prospect Park?    ...the units in that building might go for more $ as a result of the views.
    11 McKeever and 47 McKeever.

Some of the units in 1700 Bedford may face that direction as well.
  • I'll see if I can find listing for those when I have time
  • $2200 is definitely too much for someone making 60k a year (if gross income). After taxes thats about $3000 per month, maybe less. Add a few hundred for utilities, phone bill, metrocard, and you have nothing left. I find the 40-60 X rent salary requirement pretty accurate in terms of budgeting.
  • For a variety of reasons, I suspect the 2 BR units are more likely to be popular with 2 people, each earning $40k, THAN one person earning $80k
  • Sorry, just to clarify- I was responding to @pragmaticguy saying his friend made 60k and could have paid for a $2200 apartment and not the ebbets fields units.

• I couldn't find any listing for 11 McKeever, but could find a bunch for 47 McKeever.     This unit on the 21st floor has a nice view.

47 Mckeever Place
    Awesome Gut Renovated 3 Brm 1.5 Bath in Ebbets Field Building Complex *THIS IS A BIG BUILDING* CITY VIEW PRICE REDUCTION FOR AN IMMEDIATE MOVE IN ONLY GOOD CREDIT IS A MUST Mckeever Place at Sullivan Place $2300 Including all utilities except air conditioner. Available March 1st. All Bedrooms have closets! Steps to Prospect Park Laundry room in the building! Parking Available First Month, Security Brokers Fee to Move In

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3224426081-47-McKeever-Pl-21J-Brooklyn-NY-11225#photo-1

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 12.57.52 PM
  • While these units are expensive relative to the rest of Ebbets complex, they are becoming a bargain relative to the rest of the neighborhood:

http://streeteasy.com/building/1020-carroll-street-brooklyn/2r

• whynot_31 said:

While these units are expensive relative to the rest of Ebbets complex, they are becoming a bargain relative to the rest of the neighborhood:

There is truth in this advertising: "Your home is located just 3 blocks from the Franklin Avenue subway station that provides access to the 2/3/4/5 trains."

Now this? " There are also countless bus options, as well as the Eastern Pkwy thoroughfare, which makes commuting a breeze. "

How many transplants actually use the bus?

Also, what is a "virtual doorman"?
  • whynot_31 said:

I couldn't find any listing for 11 McKeever, but could find a bunch for 47 McKeever.     This unit on the 21st floor has a nice view.

47 Mckeever Place
    Awesome Gut Renovated 3 Brm 1.5 Bath in Ebbets Field Building Complex *THIS IS A BIG BUILDING* CITY VIEW PRICE REDUCTION FOR AN IMMEDIATE MOVE IN ONLY GOOD CREDIT IS A MUST Mckeever Place at Sullivan Place $2300 Including all utilities except air conditioner. Available March 1st. All Bedrooms have closets! Steps to Prospect Park Laundry room in the building! Parking Available First Month, Security Brokers Fee to Move In

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3224426081-47-McKeever-Pl-21J-Brooklyn-NY-11225#photo-1

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 12.57.52 PM
    Whoa...I just noticed the phrase "price reduction". Could that mean what people refer to as "preferential rent"?
  • edited March 2016
    whynot_31 said:

While these units are expensive relative to the rest of Ebbets complex, they are becoming a bargain relative to the rest of the neighborhood:

There is truth in this advertising: "Your home is located just 3 blocks from the Franklin Avenue subway station that provides access to the 2/3/4/5 trains."

Now this? " There are also countless bus options, as well as the Eastern Pkwy thoroughfare, which makes commuting a breeze. "

How many transplants actually use the bus?

Also, what is a "virtual doorman"?
    Virtual doorman is camera assisted system, in which a remote contractor buzzes people in.   http://www.virtualdoorman.com/duties/  

"Whoa...I just noticed the phrase "price reduction". Could that mean what people refer to as "preferential rent"?"

Yes, this might be a situation in which the landlord tested the waters of charging the maximum amount legally allowed by HCR, and then concluded that the market would not sustain this, and is now offering a preferential rent. 
  • By the way, when I went by the playground two weeks ago, I noticed that the entire perimeter was fenced off. Presumably construction will start soon?
    whynot_31 said:

The adjacent playground is getting a make over and renovation.

• I would like to assume that, but I don't know if I should.

...such projects often take much longer to complete than projects where there is a profit incentive.

The cynical part of me wonders if local developers thought that an "under construction, empty playground" is more attractive to prospective renters than a "perfectly-fine, but utilized one".

...this has the effect of denying long term residents a place to hang out, and giving newcomers the ability to imagine the future of the playground as they desire it.  

• @mugofmead111 I use the B48 to go to Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Bed Stuy. That route is more common among transplants than older residents. There's also a bus to Flatbush that I've taken to visit friends there.

When I discovered MTA bus time, which tracks the location of the bus, it made taking buses much less of an annoyance.

Some people also have a fear of using the subway and being underground, so it doesn't hurt to mention the bus options.
  • i use the bus -all the time- particularly to go to williamsburg. the B44+ up rogers is practically like a subway line for its speed. i've also frequently take the B35 into sunset park now that i have more friends living there. i've been telling everyone about bustime; you watch, 2016 is gonna be the year of millennials taking buses 

(actually i think i see a lot of young people taking the B44+ through bed stuy, since it's the easing way to get to the central parts of it)
  • The B48 is great for coming home from Williamsburg and Greenpoint late at night. It's like having a private limo.
  • ehgee said:
    The B48 is great for coming home from Williamsburg and Greenpoint late at night. It's like having a private limo.
    This. Drops me off right in front of my apartment and it basically runs the entire way without stopping late at night.  Way better than taking the subway.
  • edited March 2016

Today, the leader of a gang which operated out of Ebbets Field apartments (Folk Nation) was sentenced to two consecutive life terms.

In my view, it provides a glimpse into the recent past.  

...how quickly will our memory of this past fade?

Will "the coming changes" be successful enough that the ADA and other entities finally realize that this housing is not NYC public housing?

untitled
  • Interesting--I hadn't read about this case before. NYDN had a short news item:

And the NYP article (http://nypost.com/2016/03/18/man-who-dodged-murder-rap-as-teen-gets-life-sentence-for-different-slay/) has this tidbit:

"Yasser Ashburn, now 33, made headlines in 1999 when he was accused of stabbing another teen to death in Crown Heights during a fight at a basketball game. After an initial hung jury, Ashburn was acquitted in a second proceeding."

Here's a 1999 NYT article that ran 3 weeks after the incident (i.e., before the acquittal). Sounds like the basketball game was inside the Jackie Robinson (then Intermediate?) school as a part of after-school program, and the stabbing took place outside after a confrontation on McKeever Place:
    The victim, Michael Bennett, was 14yo at the time, so he would've been 31 today.
  • While crime has decreased since 2012 (and certainly since 1999), the complex is by no means now "crime free".

...however, crime is now at the level where some tenants with other options are likely to decide living in Ebbets is their best option. 

Young college educated people may consider it "safe enough". 

• whynot_31 said:

Today, the leader of a gang which operated out of Ebbets Field apartments (Folk Nation) was sentenced to two consecutive life terms.

In my view, it provides a glimpse into the recent past.  

...how quickly will our memory of this past fade?

Will "the coming changes" be successful enough that the ADA and other entities finally realize that this housing is not NYC public housing?

untitled
    This really bugs. I wonder how contact whoever wrote that press release to get that item corrected (or whether even to bother).
  • edited March 2016

The contact for the release is Nellin McIntosh, 718-254-6323.

In this instance, Nellin may be able to tell herself that the good DOJ did for Ebbets Field by convicting these individuals, far outweighs referring to it as public housing.

Do you know if the complex and the immediate area have yet had a homicide in 2016?

...given that this complex is so massive, it may be very hard to expect it to go without one.

Ebbets-Field-Houses-skyscraperlife_com-1

In 2008, the NYT wrote:

"Ebbets Field Apartments is a massive H-shaped complex of seven connected buildings, including the 25-story high-rise at 1700 Bedford Avenue. In a hardscrabble neighborhood of auto shops and fast food, and near Medgar Evers College, it is home to retired electricians, Vietnam veterans, black families from the South, recent African immigrants and the formerly homeless.

The average rent for studios and one-, two- and three-bedroom units ranges from $700 to $1,300. The complex was once part of the state’s Mitchell-Lama housing program, which encouraged the creation of middle-income housing by offering owners low-interest mortgages and tax abatements in return for caps on rents. The Ebbets Field complex left the program in 1987."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/nyregion/06ebbetts.html?_r=0

...less than 10 years later, the renovated units are going for literally twice that amount, despite still being rent stabilized.

• The Times forgot one segment of the population: people of Caribbean descent. 
  • If they wrote the article today, they.likely would not include "formerly homeless".

...that demographic is usually unable to get into buildings as prime as Ebbets, even if their voucher is technically able to cover the rent.

BTW, here is am op ed from Diana Richardson on preferential rent. She explains the implications well, but I can't imagine it going away in the present political environment.

http://nyslant.com/article/opinion/we-must-end-the-preferential-rent-crisis.html
  • whynot_31 said:

I would like to assume that, but I don't know if I should.

...such projects often take much longer to complete than projects where there is a profit incentive.

The cynical part of me wonders if local developers thought that an "under construction, empty playground" is more attractive to prospective renters than a "perfectly-fine, but utilized one".

...this has the effect of denying long term residents a place to hang out, and giving newcomers the ability to imagine the future of the playground as they desire it.  

It was a lovely Spring Saturday today, yet the seemingly in a state of good repair playground and basketball courts were empty a result of being surrounded by new chain link fence.

The area was weirdly quiet, and no evidence of work on the site is yet evident.
  • whynot_31 said:
    If they wrote the article today, they.likely would not include "formerly homeless". ...that demographic is usually unable to get into buildings as prime as Ebbets, even if their voucher is technically able to cover the rent. BTW, here is am op ed from Diana Richardson on preferential rent. She explains the implications well, but I can't imagine it going away in the present political environment. http://nyslant.com/article/opinion/we-must-end-the-preferential-rent-crisis.html
    I read Diana Richardson's op-ed and I liked it.

On another note, when Gothamist ran a series of articles about the expiration of the last set of rent regulations, I noticed that a few people had posted in the comments, "Well, what about us [i.e. those who are preferential rent tenants]?"

I had seen in the fine print on those playground signs that work is supposed to start in April 2016. 

Well, what about these people? 
  • In the case of Ebbets Field apartments, the landlord seems to be increasing rents to the max legal amount at the time of renewal (ie cancelling the preferential rent).

Then, the apartment is renovated because the market will not support an unrenovated apartment at the max legal amount.

• Hot water in two buildings will be shut off today while repairs are made. A van for the boiler repairpeople was spotted this morning. 
  • edited April 2016

If they upgrade the systems (as opposed to merely repair them), a MCI may result.

• These type of repairs have been made several times over the past two years. Sometimes just the hot water is shut off and sometimes the water is shut off completely. Sometimes water has been off for more than 12 hours. 

• It is important to use your flushes wisely under such circumstances.

• A plaque marking the former location of home plate was recently installed. 
  • edited April 2016

Their parents will enjoy seeing the plaque.  When Abba signs a contract with MySpace, the process will accelerate.

Meanwhile, houses nearby on Sullivan St are asking $1.3M.  http://www.corleyre.com/listings/191-sullivan-place-townhouse-crown-heights-brooklyn-crg1085/

• Photos of a very closed playground-park courtesy of F Richard Hurley

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  • A local tenant's right group, the Crown Heights Tenants' Union, hopes to draw attention to the plight of the long term tenants at a rally on the patio on May 26th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/717629848374753/

It is not yet clear to me that the managing agent, ABBA, has violated any laws.
  • whynot_31 said:
    A local tenant's right group, the Crown Heights Tenants' Union, hopes to draw attention to the plight of the long term tenants at a rally on the patio on May 26th. https://www.facebook.com/events/717629848374753/ It is not yet clear to me that the managing agent, ABBA, has violated any laws.
    FB link is broken.

It sucks when half of the elevators in a high-rise building are not reliable.

• Here's a link that should work:
    http://www.crownheightstenantunion.org
    In addition to being slow to fix the elevators, I expect mgt to cut back on cleaning.

...and increase enforcement of rules re: late payment and noise.

This isn't going to be quick or pretty.
  • Interesting that there is a mention of preferential rent. 
  • edited May 2016

https://www.facebook.com/events/1045078115573246/

My understanding is that the tenants union wishes to expand tenant rights, therefore they are protesting against a practice which (when properly implemented) is completely legal. Hence, I hope that the tenants who can not afford the Max Legal Rent have a plan that is more solid than chanting on the patio.

• They are now billing the event as a Press Conference: https://www.facebook.com/events/134019483669442/
  • whynot_31 said:

My understanding is that the tenants union wishes to expand tenant rights, therefore they are protesting against a practice which (when properly implemented) is completely legal. Hence, I hope that the tenants who can not afford the Max Legal Rent have a plan that is more solid than chanting on the patio.

Is it properly implemented though? [/devil's advocate]

There may be an increase in those who can afford maximum legal rent, but is it helping to improve services (e.g. hot water that wavers in and out, wonky elevators)? 
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • I remember when the mayor and Speaker Heastie came to the complex. It'd be nice to have some sort of followup. 
  • whynot_31 said:

This event is scheduled for tomorrow, 5/26/2016 at noon.      That strikes me as a time that will be most convenient to long term residents, who are retired.

• edited May 2016

They don't like the "however" part:

"Rent increase percentages for rent stabilized apartments and lofts are adjusted each year.

For leases beginning between October 1, 2015, through September 30, 2016, the rent increase for rent stabilized apartment and loft renewals is:

• 1-year lease: 0% for tenants paying the "legal regulated rent" for their apartment as established by the rent stabilization laws.
    • 2-year lease: 2%
    However, if a tenant is paying a "preferential rent," which an owner agrees to charge and is lower than the legal regulated rent that the owner could lawfully collect, the owner may be allowed to increase the rent up to the "legal regulated rent," even if the increase is greater than the rent increase guidelines that are in effect."

• I still don't get why someone would agree to signing a lease that involves preferential rent. 

I remember when TPTB were still fighting in Albany about how and whether to extend/renew the rental regulation legislation, someone had posted a comment on Gothamist asking, "What about us (those who are paying preferential rent)?" I guess some felt like they weren't being included in the larger conversation.
  • On another note, progress is being made on the playground. I'll post pics when I get around to it.
  • edited May 2016

Tenants sign leases that state the rent they will be paying is lower than the max legal amount (aka "preferential") because if they don't sign it, they have to move.

I'm glad progress is being made on the playground.

...I'd prefer to believe that NYC Parks is not involved in this process.  

"There are currently 43 eviction proceedings taking place right now. There were rarely more than 5 at any given time before three years ago." 

http://theqatparkside.blogspot.com/

• @mugofmead111 because getting an apartment with preferential rent is generally cheaper than an apartment that's market rate. Rent stabilized are best, of course, but not always available. I'd rather pay preferential rent with the knowledge that it may change the following year, then having to pay more from the get go.

A friend of mine is paying preferential rent in Crown Heights and he has an awesome deal. The management is great and hasn't been increasing the rents, while also renovating the apartment and building. His apartment could easily go for a few hundred more per month. Despite all of the shitty landlords out there, there are some good ones.
  • edited May 2016
    While their individual reasons vary, in general, landlords charge tenants a preferential rent because they think there would be an "excessive" number of vacancies if they charged the higher, max legal rate.

In the case of buildings like Ebbets, we can speculate that the market has now caught up to the max legal rate and/or that making large numbers of units vacant at once poses potential benefits to the landlord:

1. The landlord can save money by purchasing new appliances, cabinets and labor in bulk.

2. The landlord can use similar economies of scale to hire lawyers to pursue evictions.

3. Tenants interested in the higher rent, newly renovated units can be recruited enmass to see a variety of units. This may allay any fears they have about being the only ones of their complexion or social class in the building.
  • edited June 2016
    This site has been added to my list of sites that I believe will make a large impact on western Crown Heights:  http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/47007/the-big-18-developments-the-whynot-31-wont-stop-talking-about?new=1
  • edited June 2016
    The rally made the front page of the local newspaper The Brooklyn Downtown Star. I picked up a copy on the Brooklyn Heights branch of the Brooklyn Public Library. (Yes, the entity which is going to have its site redeveloped.)

• whynot_31 said:
    This site has been added to my list of sites that I believe will make a large impact on western Crown Heights:  http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/47007/the-big-18-developments-the-whynot-31-wont-stop-talking-about?new=1

In the next 10 - 15 years maybe. 
  • If the management company does not offer buyouts, I predict it will achieve a building wide turnover rate of 15% per year by simply eliminating Preferential Rents and aggressively evicting tenants who pay late or break the existing rules.

That could result in most of the units in the building renting for more than $2200 in a mere 6 years.

• whynot_31 said:

If the management company does not offer buyouts, I predict it will achieve a building wide turnover rate of 15% per year by simply eliminating Preferential Rents and aggressively evicting tenants who pay late or break the existing rules.

That could result in most of the units in the building renting for more than $2200 in a mere 6 years.

Buyouts? Interesting. 
  • edited June 2016
    Progress is being made on the adjacent playground on McKeever Place. I don't have any pictures to post though.
  • NYC has been getting better about starting capital projects, such as playground renovations:   http://comptroller.nyc.gov/newsroom/comptroller-stringer-city-made-progress-in-starting-capital-projects-in-fy-2015/

New units at 47 McKeever continue to be listed:   http://www.apartments.com/ebbetts-field-brooklyn-ny/xge34sq/

• I looked at a few of the photos. If you notice the bathroom, no medicine cabinet, no vanity which means there's no storage in there for essentials. Just another way they're cutting costs and charging crazy rents.
  • edited June 2016

I see that a lot in apartments where the bathrooms are shared by unrelated persons.   Basically, the bedrooms are private space where you keep your stuff.

On the other hand places like bathrooms, the living room and the kitchen are places that you are to leave as you found them.   You don't leave any stuff there.

...they are building it for this market.

• Sorry to disagree, I don't think it's too much to ask to have some space to put deodorant or some such stuff. It's the equivalent of saying each person in the apartment should have their own refrigerator because one of the others might take your food.
  • The young, transient folks don't know their roommates well, so locks on bedroom doors are not uncommon.

The kitchen does not have much food in it.   There are things that don't spoil:  Condiments.   Ramen. Pasta.

Most food is delivered or eaten outside of the apartment.

Don't leave dishes in the sink.  Ever.

• edited June 2016
    It doesn't appear that these apartments are catering to the transient lifestyle. That's what that other guy was trying to do with the short term rentals that there was a thread about on here. I wonder what ever happened with that.
  • edited June 2016

Those "co-living" apartments were shared to the degree that they had a common kitchen and bathrooms for 19 people.    Those folks are really transient, and don't have to a sign a lease.

...if young folks split these, they will get a little more privacy and less expectation of "community".   They must sign a lease.

• Local politicians are now concerned about the fate of the low income tenants that they have organized legal clinics:

From Renee Collymore:
    Attention all tenants...I am sponsoring a Pro Bono Legal event Monday, June 27 at Ebbets Field 1700 Bedford Ave (Crown Heights) 6:30pm. Our team of qualified attorney's will gladly offer legal advice & guidance to help us with through issues such as tenant rights, criminal, housing, child support, etc. COMPLETELY FREE!!!
  • I looked at a few of the photos. If you notice the bathroom, no medicine cabinet, no vanity which means there's no storage in there for essentials. Just another way they're cutting costs and charging crazy rents.
    I think the renovated unit has a medicine cabinet in the bathroom; it's just hidden behind that shiny mirror.

The medicine cabinets in unrenovated units also are covered with mirrors.
  • whynot_31 said:
    Local politicians are now concerned about the fate of the low income tenants that they have organized legal clinics: From Renee Collymore: Attention all tenants...I am sponsoring a Pro Bono Legal event Monday, June 27 at Ebbets Field 1700 Bedford Ave (Crown Heights) 6:30pm. Our team of qualified attorney's will gladly offer legal advice & guidance to help us with through issues such as tenant rights, criminal, housing, child support, etc. COMPLETELY FREE!!!
    Renee Collymore's people have been flyering the complex.