265 Rogers (at Carroll) to become a shelter - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• Wow. 3 new shelters, 2 in CB 8 and 1 in CB 9. De Blasio had best balance this out with at least 3 shelters in Park Slope to make me happy.
  • 132 families? In that small space? Looks like it would be tight to me.
  • edited March 1
    The FDNY, DOB and OCFS would all have to sign off on this site holding that many families.

Plus, the space would have to abide by the court ruling that pertains to families, the McCain ruling.

http://www.legal-aid.org/en/lawreform/lawreform/civillawreformunit/activecases/homelessrights/mccainvbloomberg.aspx
  • edited March 1
    Wow. 3 new shelters, 2 in CB 8 and 1 in CB 9. De Blasio had best balance this out with at least 3 shelters in Park Slope to make me happy.
    3? I think I missed one.... I've got this one (265 Rogers) and the one on Bergen between Brooklyn and New York. Where's the third?

UPDATE: Never mind. All details are in the article

SC
  • Wow. 3 new shelters, 2 in CB 8 and 1 in CB 9. De Blasio had best balance this out with at least 3 shelters in Park Slope to make me happy.
    3 shelters in Park Slope? That's funny. As if the community will allow that to happen.
  • I doubt DHS could outbid the other uses in that area...
  • i'm surprised they were able to outbid on the site in Prospect heights. those brownstoners won't be happy
  • also i wonder if the developers of the big property on the next block will say anything about it. possibly not 
  • i'm surprised they were able to outbid on the site in Prospect heights. those brownstoners won't be happy
    Phoenix House is a not for profit drug rehabilitation agency.

So, they may not have had the ability to seek the highest bidder.

And, they already used the facility as a "come back into the community residence".   So, the neighbors may not really notice the change in use.    
  • also i wonder if the developers of the big property on the next block will say anything about it. possibly not 
    If I were them, I'd remain quiet until the city grants them the Certificate of Occupancy they presently seek.

• Agreed @crownheightster that's alot clustered in one area.
  • Wonder if we can any feedback from Rachel on this. Does she have the wrong address on Rogers or what?
  • edited March 2
    Metro NY is also stating that is the address, and does not appear to be merely "borrowing" from Rachel's piece.

"Permits, construction and community outreach are in progress for the other three, which includes two in Crown Heights, at 265 Rogers Ave., and 1173 Bergen St., as well as 174 Prospect Place in Prospect Heights."

http://touch.metro.us//new-york/community-resistance-meets-de-blasio-s-fair-homeless-shelter-plan/zsJqcb---oj3GU2pK6NEvI/
    3 shelters in Park Slope? That's funny. As if the community will allow that to happen.
    Well something needs to burst the PS rental bubble. ;-)
  • 265 Rogers could house at the most 6 families and that would be a tight fit.  132 families ain't going in there in April.
  • edited March 3
    The nonprofit service provider at 265 Rogers is reportedly Samaritan Village.

http://patch.com/new-york/prospectheights/least-3-new-homeless-shelters-coming-prospect-heights-crown-heights

Sometime soon, they will likely present to CB9 and the public.

...I will also be amazed if the regulators sign off on 132 families in this space.
  • Samaritan Village does not seem like one of the shelter operators that is particularly well-liked. They can't mean 132 families...can they? Maybe 132-family members? Assuming families of four, maybe 33 families? 
  • edited March 3
    Maybe 132 people.

....each of whom is related to one or more of the others.
  • When's the public meeting about this?
  • The meeting has not been announce yet.   I believe the city has to hold the meeting 30 days before it opens.

...they might not be that close to opening yet.
  • I kind of wish the article discussed the "fair share" rule.

The rule is supposed to force the city to distribute shelters and other undesirable services evenly throughout the city. (Sewage treatment, trash truck depots, bus depots, etc)

However, it is impossible.

Some areas are incredibly expensive and have no vacant buildings. Others are not near water or highways.

It isn't realistic to expect the city to spend tons of money, and/or make powerful enemies when other options are available.

....such as Crown Heights.
  • What I wonder is why De Blasio is doing this to a neighborhood that VOTED for him. I mean, what does he have to lose by putting a shelter in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? 
  • edited March 9
    Are spaces there as available as they are here ?

...this is driven by the city running out of shelter space, and being in danger of violating the various right to shelter rulings.

Do you know of a site in Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge?

...they won't want it there either, but I'll forward it to folks I know at DHS.

Do you think a credible candidate will run against him and secure the Crown Heights vote?
  • edited March 9

"From: (redacted)
    Date: February 3, 2017 at 2:13:15 PM EST
    To: (redacted)

Subject: Capacity Coordinator Job at NYC Department of Homeless Services

Hello all,
    Interested in Real Estate? Housing? Zoning? City budgets, contracts or procurement?

We are expanding the Capacity Planning and Development division at DHS to keep up with the growing demand for shelter.

It's more of a project management position working with landlords, non-profit providers, real estate brokers and staff throughout the Agency. We are in search of folks who are comfortable being generalists, working under pressure, and who can easily adapt to the changing nature of this industry.

Please see the attached job description to apply and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

(Name and title redacted)

Capacity Planning and Development
    NYC Department of Homeless Services"
  • Note: As per the note, the successful candidate won't have to make members of the community happy, or even work them.
  • whynot_31 said:
    I kind of wish the article discussed the "fair share" rule. The rule is supposed to force the city to distribute shelters and other undesirable services evenly throughout the city. (Sewage treatment, trash truck depots, bus depots, etc) However, it is impossible. Some areas are incredibly expensive and have no vacant buildings. Others are not near water or highways. It isn't realistic to expect the city to spend tons of money, and/or make powerful enemies when other options are available. ....such as Crown Heights.

So basically, let's continue to inundate Crown Heights because they're not affluent or powerful?!?! 

• I look at the city as just another tenant with a limited source of funds, a poor credit history and lots of civil and criminal court involvement.

Neighborhoods without affluence or power also get more than their "fair share" of apartment dwellers who have similar issues.

The only thing I can think of that will change this, is for the apartments/sites to be sought after by people with greater means and fewer problems.

...entities that will outbid the city. Spaces that are not vacant when the city comes looking.
  • whynot_31 said:
    I look at the city as just another tenant with a limited source of funds, a poor credit history and lots of civil and criminal court involvement. Neighborhoods without affluence or power also get more than their "fair share" of apartment dwellers who have similar issues. The only thing I can think of that will change this, is for the apartments/sites to be sought after by people with greater means and fewer problems. ...entities that will outbid the city. Spaces that are not vacant when the city comes looking.

....how does Crown Heights get away from this vicious cycle?  How can we woo the powerful and affluent if on every other block we have shelters, methadone clinics, halfway houses, etc.  The powerful and affluent will remain in Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, etc. because they don't want these facilities as "their" neighbors.  Due to their affluence and power, they have that option.
  • In the grand scheme of things -- and barring cataclysmic economic disaster, bordering on apocalypse or military invasion -- the Bergen Street shelter is just a blip on the radar for the growing affluence of neighborhoods like Crown Heights and Lefferts. The rich in Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens and Park Slope have downzoned and landmarked themselves into time capsules. Commute from outside the city are horrendous, meaning people will want to live in the City, marginally or truly closer to work. The Middle/Upper Middle Bougie class will continue pushing into Crown Heights. In 10-15 years, the shelter operators and halfway houses will lose their leases and sell to bougies or developers. This is just a temporary setback -- if at all. When the $900,000 brownstones next to the Bergen House shelter come on the market (ha ha!), I'm sure there will be eagle-eyed people waiting to pounce, and happy to put up with a shelter for a bit.  
  • And who knows. De Blasio may just do horribly and not get re-elected and maybe the next mayor will try to challenge Callahan. Then we get a massive street homelessness problem to deal with, which make the shelter system look fantastic by comparison.
  • Mayors far smarter (?) than DeBlasio have challenged Callahan and each has lost.
  • I wouldn't worry about property values. 1319 Bedford Avenue, a 4-story townhouse directly across the street from the Bedford-Atlantic shelter sold for $1.7 million back in 2014. And 1176 Dean Street, which is two blocks away from both the Bedford-Atlantic Shelter and the new Bergen Street shelter is currently on the market asking $2 million: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20147109/1176-Dean-St-Brooklyn-NY/

• ....how does Crown Heights get away from this vicious cycle?  How can we woo the powerful and affluent if on every other block we have shelters, methadone clinics, halfway houses, etc.  The powerful and affluent will remain in Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, etc. because they don't want these facilities as "their" neighbors.  Due to their affluence and power, they have that option.
    You 'woo' the powerful and affluent by having available housing for them. When the city or state owns and/or subsidizes facilities (like housing, shelters, etc.) they stifle the market and therefore the ability for others to move in.
  • Would be nice if the City bought the Bergen Street Shelter and made it into an amazing library with deeply affordable housing component. 
  • The soon-to-be Bergen Shelter was previously an addiction treatment center.

It isn't clear to me it will be better or worse in terms of surrounding property values.
  • whynot_31 said:
    The soon-to-be Bergen Shelter was previously an addiction treatment center. It isn't clear to me it will be better or worse in terms of surrounding property values.
    It was an AA/NA Center for less than two years.  The clients were not homeless.  They seemed like productive members of society and they did not live there! 
  • It will now be a shelter for men older than 62.

Seems like a fair trade.
  • Update:   This building won't be used.   The much larger new building across the street will be