NEED 2-bedroom dog-friendly place near 2/3 4/5 trains - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEED 2-bedroom dog-friendly place near 2/3 4/5 trains

I have a friend who is looking for a two-bedroom place in a safe area near the 2/3 and 4/5 trains. They'd need a place that accepts dogs (they have one). They need to move by the end of the year and can afford to pay anything under $1,200 per month. If you hear of anything, please let me know (I'll post this to the classifieds board, too). Thank you!

Comments

• Subject: Re: NEED 2-bedroom dog-friendly place near 2/3 4/5 trains

Violet wrote: I have a friend who is looking for a two-bedroom place in a safe area near the 2/3 and 4/5 trains. They'd need a place that accepts dogs (they have one). They need to move by the end of the year and can afford to pay anything under $1,200 per month. If you hear of anything, please let me know (I'll post this to the classifieds board, too). Thank you!
    Depending on what you regard as a 'safe area', those parameters sound very tight but not impossible. Suggest trying near the Franklin Av. stop, the blocks Classon to Bedford and Prospect to Eastern Pkwy or maybe beyond. For example,
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/abo/212865553.html
  • you'll find what you're looking for in the gowanus area.
    near flatbush avenue and the atlantic mall
    right near all the trains

1 bedrooms for $1200 can be had there no problem.
    caveat is you have to pay a broker.
    disclosure: i am NOT a broker
  • quijibo wrote: you'll find what you're looking for in the gowanus area.
    near flatbush avenue and the atlantic mall
    right near all the trains

1 bedrooms for $1200 can be had there no problem.
    caveat is you have to pay a broker.
    But 2 bedrooms for $1200 within a few blocks of Atlantic 2/3/4/5 sounds pretty optimistic to me.

Thank you doctorj for the CraigsList ad - I emailed them (no reply yet).
    My friend is definitely looking for two bedrooms, not just one.
    He did mention that he'd like to avoid broker's fees - how much would fees run for a $1,200 per month place (in case I want to offer to help him out)?
    Thank you, doctorj and quijibo.

Violet wrote: Thank you doctorj for the CraigsList ad - I emailed them (no reply yet).
    My friend is definitely looking for two bedrooms, not just one.
    He did mention that he'd like to avoid broker's fees - how much would fees run for a $1,200 per month place (in case I want to offer to help him out)?
    Anywhere between 1 month ($1,200) and 15% of 1 year ($2,160). There are many reasons not to go with a broker of a big building if at all possible, not just avoiding the fee. For example, renting directly you're more likely share a small building with the owner, which is an advantage if something goes wrong with the power, heat, water.

The rental market in the area is tight and prices are rising fairly rapidly I've heard. Since you are looking for a bargain, do not wait, scan the fresh CL posts a couple of times a day and jump immediately on anything that fits the criteria is my advice, i.e. any chance then drop what you're doing and front up to see it with checkbook and credit report.
  • Subject: Thank you.

Thank you - again - doctorj. I'll keep looking at CraigsList and other places. And steer towards individuals rather than brokers.
    Speaking of brokers, though... My friend has talked to some people at United Homes who want to sell him a 2-3 family house in East New York. They say that the only way to afford a place is to take in tenants. My friend's (sweet, trusting) nature is not appropriate for him to be a landlord, I think. Does anyone know anything about United Homes? They will do the loan, inspection, and realty all under their own roof (which sounds fishy to me). Knowing that my friend is interested in buying, I've put a call in to my banker. But renting is still an option, too. If anyone here has any further advice I'd really appreciate it. My friend can afford $1,200 per month (rent or mortgage), needs a two-bedroom place near the subway, and has a dog.
This discussion has been closed.