Best Pools in FG for Kids? — Brooklynian

Best Pools in FG for Kids?

Are there any other pools in the FG area other than the big outdoor one off Park Ave that are good for taking kids to? I've heard the Bed Stuy YMCA is good. Can anyone confirm?

Comments

• There's a 'mini-pool' at PS 20, on Claremont between Dekalb and Willoughby. It's small and only 3' deep all around.
  • there's at least one pool on flushing near the old brig site
  • The Bed-Stuy Y is a nice pool that is usually pretty empty. The locker rooms are a throwback to the 70's but if you can deal with that the kids will probably have the place to themselves. There is a lot of cinstruction going on at the Y so you may want to call them to see what's up with the pool these days. There is also an outdoor city pool at DeKalb and Marcy in Bed-Stuy. Not sure how it is for younger kids but...
  • there's also a pool at the YMCA on 3rd Ave and Atlantic, but I can't vouch for its quality.
  • The pool on 3rd Ave and Altantic was at the YWCA but that's closed now I believe. The new Dodge Y on Atlantic between Court and Boerum Pl is very nice though.
  • Oh Lord! wrote: There is also an outdoor city pool at DeKalb and Marcy in Bed-Stuy. Not sure how it is for younger kids but...
    My husband, daughter and I, who live outside Brooklyn, ended up at the DeKalb/Marcy pool the other day because we're scouting out neighborhoods and wanted to see what Bed-Stuy looked like.

It was a cool, cloudy day, and the pool was absolutely empty. The locker room was old and scuzzy, and you have to bring a locker padlock or they won't let you swim at all. But the pool is huge and gorgeous. It really is an amazing outdoor pool. Living within a walking distance of a pool like would be a great amenity. My impression is that the crowd there might be kind of rowdy on a busy day, but then I'd just try to swim early in the day, before the rowdy kids arrive.
This discussion has been closed.