This site is closed to new comments and posts.

Notice: This site uses cookies to function.
If you are not comfortable with cookies then please don't browse this website.

A camera to catch speeders at EP and Bedford - Page 2 — Brooklynian

A camera to catch speeders at EP and Bedford

2»

Comments

• Both could work, especially if EP is declared to be an area that the NYPDs Highway Patrol can police.

At present, most of the responsibily falls on the 77th and 71st pcts, and they are kept pretty busy with violent crime.
  • I would imagine the cameras are way more effective catching speeders than putting cops out with radar guns.  Also consider that the cops have to park somewhere, then chase the speeders and then block traffic while ticketing.  Doesn't sound too efficient.
  • It would be nice if they could use the money from the existing cameras to simply buy and install more cameras.

• edited September 2014
    $9M in camera fines seems substantial.    It is kinda sad that cameras by schools have such a high ROI.   

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140902/bedford-park/city-raises-9m-school-speed-camera-revenue-since-january
  • That amount is substantial. I'll bet they use the money to hire more people to figure out how to spend the money they're raking in.
  • I'd hire more lobbyists to "influence" the legislators in Albany who grant the city the use of such cameras.

I like reinvesting in my business.
  • That amount is substantial. I'll bet they use the money to hire more people to figure out how to spend the money they're raking in.
    Or, buy more cameras and hire more people for their operation - installation, maintenance, ticket review, etc.

Which would be great.  Studies vary on extents of the effects, but the general consensus is that red light cameras reduce broad side collisions while increasing rear-end collisions.  But rear-end collisions have much lower severe injury/fatality rates.  The rear-end collision rates would likely be reduced as well over time with cameras being at every light and knowledge of that becoming widespread.

• edited September 2014
    @mikedunlap I've never seen a study, other then debunked ones, that claim that traffic cameras increas ANY accident types. Link(s) to peer reviewed studies or stories from major news organizations please!

As for using the money from the cameras to buy and fund more cameras I'm all for that!
  • It stands to reason that they might cause drivers to not run the light at the last minute, because they see (or remember) the red light camera.   

...this might increase rear end accidents, because the person behind them expects them to not stop suddenly.    

Such an effect might be temporary.
  • @mikedunlap I've never seen a study, other then debunked ones, that claim that traffic cameras increas ANY accident types. Link(s) to peer reviewed studies or stories from major news organizations please!
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/05049/

Like I say, I'm a big supporter.  The ultimate goal  is reduced injuries/fatalities, and even the studies showing the largest increase in rear-end crashes still show significant reductions in injuries/fatalities.
  • edited September 2014
    Thanks Mike I'll give them a read!