Bagel Pub: 775 Franklin (corner of St Johns) — Brooklynian

Bagel Pub: 775 Franklin (corner of St Johns)

This discussion was created from comments split from: The Vacant spot left by Climax, 775 Franklin (corner of St Johns).

Comments

• http://www.bagelpub.com/
    They have an existing location on 9th St, near 4th Avenue in Park Slope.

cbk
  • I've been to the one on 9th many times. Nothing special but not a bad addition to the block. Certainly better than an empty space or Dunkin' Donuts and the like.
  • How do readers feel about my complete guess of a Grand Opening in March of 2016?

....let's hear those estimates!

I'll buy the person who most accurately predicts the opening date a bagel!
  • I predict a smidge later...April 10
  • Hello Everyone  . We were notified today that Brooklynian made a mention about our opening in the location of 775 Franklin Avenue. We are very excited to be a new addition to the neighborhood. We welcome you to come visit us at our location in Park Slope on 9th Street (between 4th and 5th Ave) to see what we have in store for Franklin Ave. Looking forward to meeting all of our future neighbors and patrons . If you come in mention your from Franklin Ave and we would love to meet you. Have a great weekend !
  • Welcome BagelPub!

If you accurately predict your opening date, I will buy you something other than a bagel because (let's be honest), you are likely sick of bagels.
  • September 2019 ??  haha .. geez.. if we only knew ! i can tell you though, that we ARE working as hard as we can to be open as quick as possible. 
    but... if you can guess and get it right ... I'm gonna buy YOU a bagel AND a coffee :) i will even let you pick any cream cheese . Why not, right ? 

-Lauren
  • It's on. My guess is May 15, 2016.
  • edited July 2015
    @bagelpub -

Rachel wrote that you will be open by the end of the summer?? That seems incredibly optimistic. Did you tell her that?

"Bagel Pub, a Park Slope-based eatery voted the best bagel in Brooklyn by Time Out New York last month, is opening its second location at 775 Franklin Ave. and St. Johns Place by the end of the summer, according to the husband-and-wife team who opened their original shop at Ninth Street near Fifth Avenue three years ago."

Also, is this an accurate description of what you are going to create?

"Though the eatery’s focus is bagels (with 20 different flavors of cream cheese to choose from) their menu has a huge list of other items, including smoothies, soups, paninis, wraps and 53 specialty sandwiches."

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150723/crown-heights/park-slope-based-bagel-pub-open-second-location-crown-heights
  • "Eagle-eyed residents on Brooklynian.com first spotted the change, which is coming to the long-empty storefront more than two years after its former tenant, the clothing store Climax, moved out."
  • @whynot_13
    i did have a conversation with Rachel and told her that we were hoping for the end of the summer. I agree, that was a very optimistic opening date . I did say to check back a little later on and i would possibly have a better estimate on opening date . 

Have a great weekend :)

• edited August 2015

People seem to like Bagel Pub's current location. Here are shots of the crowd at 10:30 AM, Sat, Aug 1st.

This:

Will happen here:
  • I predict Michael dezayas is planning the 3rd incarnation of the space by zeldas
  • Maybe we'll finally get that ping pong supply store
  • edited August 2015
    If someone has extra time on their hands, they could write an article that compares and contrasts Nagel Bagel (the small place run by Mike D) to Bagel Pub:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nagles-bagels-crown-heights?sort_by=date_desc

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bagel-pub-brooklyn?sort_by=date_desc

• BTW, demolition of the Climax space was already occurring when I walked by last week.    Hopefully Bagel Pub has hired a top notch designer and has all of the equipment and furnishing on order.

I'll suspect we are getting close when I see the vents go in and a request for DOH initial kitchen inspection.
  • edited August 2015
    The Climax sign is now gone. The interior is gutted. Work has begun on on the facade.

We now need an upgraded gas line, some venting, around $50k in appliances, some seating, lots of carpentry.

...and some flour.

Then, this part of Crown Heights will have its first real bagel place.
  • Work seems to be progressing

• edited October 2015
    Facade has been cleaned up. They have begun doing finish work on the interior.

New HVAC equipment on rear roof.

It would not surprise me if they put in their kitchen inspection request soon.

• edited October 2015
    The big evil corporate bagel chain machine* grinds on, and I welcome my new bagel overlords.

*M.Dezayas
  • edited October 2015
    Given the present pace of this renovation, it would not surprise me if they were ready to open by December 11th.

...assuming that DOH cooperates, of course.

They might announce their opening date on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/BagelPub
  • Some pretty serious security cameras and... speakers?? to automatically yell at bagel bandits trying to break in?  Are there a lot of bagel bandits?
  • maybe to call out people's orders/numbers as they wait outside?  Maybe klezmer music to accompany the bagels.  It couldnt be worse than the music that plays from the cheap tinny speakers hanging out side the 99c store. 
  • Their existing location has an outdoor seating area, and it would not surprise me if they created a similar space along St. John's.
  • @bagelpub -

How is construction going?    Have close are you to putting in your request for an initial kitchen inspection?

• Appears to be open, as of this morning. Sorry don't have a picture!
  • edited December 2015
  • It's on. My guess is May 15, 2016.
    On a positive note: way off.  :-)
  • edited December 2015
    Given the present pace of this renovation, it would not surprise me if they were ready to open by December 11th.

...assuming that DOH cooperates, of course.

They might announce their opening date on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/BagelPub
    Spot on. :)
  • @mike dunlap Happy to be wrong! Anyone try them?
  • edited December 2015
    It was closed when I walked by..

• edited December 2015
    Today, it was yummy.

I had lots of company.

• edited December 2015
    I went too. Great bagels. I'd never had an "everything" pumpernickel before. Good addition to the neighborhood!
  • So many people this morning. Mr. Crownheighster, the toddler, and I waited on line for 10 minutes, were served our bacon egg and cheese sandwiches in 5 minutes. Entirely pleasant experience. SO happy Bagel Pub is part of the neighborhood. Hordes of people were coming, attracted by fresh, delicious bagels.
  • I didn't want to love it, given my Bagel Hole loyalties, but I do.  Their bagels are excellent.  Especially the whole wheat sesame.  It might be my favorite bagel ever.
  • Your neighbors seem to agree. This place has already developed a customer base large enough to keep it full at non prime hours.

This discussion has been closed.