The ground floor of the building at the NW corner of Franklin and EP - Brooklynian

The ground floor of the building at the NW corner of Franklin and EP

Formerly the site of Yogu Moo Sign went up today.     The people putting up the sign said it is going to be a clothing store.image image

Part of me suspects that they have not taken down the Yogu Moo sign because their ladder is too short.

Comments

• Now open.

Screen shot 2015-04-06 at 9.15.19 PM
  • Walked by yesterday. The store is stocked and looks pretty nice. I wanted to walk in just to check out the prices (just to see *how* expensive the clothes are) but refrained. I wonder how profitable a high-end clothing shop will be. The clothes look trendy and expensive. Is Franklin Ave a shopping destination?
  • Came back to comment that the Yogo Moo sign is still up. It is such a nice sign too, with the wood custom-cut to fit the nooks in the façade.
  • edited April 2015
    Locally, my favorite "legacy sign" is at 349 Flatbush Avenue, near Park Place. At some point in the distant past, one could get Briggs & Stratton small engines repaired...

Streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/Xgmhl

Now, one can merely get mexican and chinese food.
  • I stopped by, tried some things on, didn't purchase. The clothes are indeed, quite lovely- she's curated well. Average price for a blouse/dress is about $80-ish. I did find a dress that was $55. Scarves were $35. Shirts varied based on the material. All the clothes come from Paris or Italy. Something to keep in mind- ALL the clothes hanging were O/S (one size). That said, as a curvy girl, I did actually find things that fit me (a O/S from Paris that FIT ME??? Zomg!) 

Shop owner is a local resident- she was very nice. 
  • I went in on Sunday and ended up buying a couple of things. I thought the prices were fair for the product; not inexpensive, but certainly less than a similar type of boutique would charge in a wealthier area of town. There's not all that much shopping on Franklin, compared to the number of other types of storefronts, so I hope it does well.

Like whatchuwant mentioned, most everything appeared to be O/S, but cut in a way that would fit a variety of sizes and body types. That should keep cost and risk down for the merchants (a boon for a new business) and still serve a variety of clientele. I'm on the larger end of the size spectrum, and I didn't feel put off by the place.
  • edited March 2016
    Now reportedly closed.   Seems to have lasted exactly one year.

• Seems having a clothing boutique is a bad idea here.  Looks like they all close in short time. 

Ideas:  donut shop, vape shop (i know its polarizing, but the trend is still growing), bike mechanic, old fashioned cobbler :)

DOA ideas;  mexican, cafe, clothing
  • edited March 2016

I think the neighborhood now has enough children that a traditional ice cream shop could survive at this location.

Ben and Jerry's

Baskin Robin

...YoGu Moo failed at this location because it didn't have enough seating, had strange hours and the neighborhood did not yet have enough parents with money and small children.

It is a new day.

• A great cobbler would be fantastic. 

Says the girl who just brought her grandma's furs to one of Brooklyn's last furriers, Hyman Kernser in Bensonhurst. I love fixing old things.
  • I think they could take the roof off of that storefront space and turn it into a courtyard with outdoor seating for whatever shop is next to it, and then transfer their square footage up to the top of the building for a penthouse apartment.

Alternatively, it'd be a pretty sweet subway entrance. And building a subway entrance would buy them more square footage for even more penthouse apartments on top of the building.
  • I was surprised it lasted that long. Always empty. Expensive. Not that many items.
  • It may have lasted that long because they were able to negotiate an exit after 1 year 
  • Didn't realize they were expensive, because I'm a guy, which is part of their problem.  You cleave off half your potential clientele in a niche business and it doesn't bode well.  
  • nice. a clothing store. hopefully inexpensive. 
  • I stopped by, tried some things on, didn't purchase. The clothes are indeed, quite lovely- she's curated well. Average price for a blouse/dress is about $80-ish. I did find a dress that was $55. Scarves were $35. Shirts varied based on the material. All the clothes come from Paris or Italy. Something to keep in mind- ALL the clothes hanging were O/S (one size). That said, as a curvy girl, I did actually find things that fit me (a O/S from Paris that FIT ME??? Zomg!) 

Shop owner is a local resident- she was very nice. 
    wow. $55 for a dress isnt TOO bad. 
  • I heard through the grapevine that the space is going to be a cheese shop related to Wino(t). Hopefully they have other kinds of specialty foods, too, because cheese alone seems like kind of a long shot to sustain a Franklin storefront.
  • I contacted Winot and they state said rumor has no validity.

• edited March 2016
    They've got employees running around starting rumors, then.
  • Real Estate office took it.
  • A big name too
  • edited May 2016
    That makes sense.    Very visible location that does not allow cooking.   Hopefully I can get a photo of yet another sign being erected...
  • BOOOOO!  Real estate.  The slow and steady Park Slopization of Franklin Ave.
  • That's ok. Park slope is a great place to raise a fam.
  • edited May 2016
    I suspect the real estate place will be image conscious enough to take down the signs advertising Yogu Moo and Tendenci.

....but a small part of me would like all signs to remain in place for 5 years.

It might give pause to aspiring small business owners.
  • Who is it Corcoran?
  • The paper has been taken down from the windows. The sign is up. The new tenant is indeed a real estate office. 

And it is...

• It's also worth pointing out their other physical locations: https://www.compass.com/about/offices. Mostly all high-end areas. Really interesting move beating Corcoran here.
  • edited June 2016
    I think of their locations as high end and YOUNG (28 - 38)

.... I see Corcoran as focusing on slightly older buyers and locations.
  • Update. This actually looks to be the sales office for 762 Park Place, which is represented by Compass.
  • edited June 2016

Here's the first listings to hit the market:

#5D - 762 Park Place $1,145,000  
    3 beds•2 baths•1,206 ft²

$1,145,000  

3 beds 2 baths 1,206 ft²
    #PH3 - 762 Park Place $995,000  
    2 beds•2 baths•915 ft²
    $995,000   2 beds 2 baths 915 ft²
    #2B - 762 Park Place $950,000  
    3 beds•2 baths•1,114 ft²
    $950,000   3 beds 2 baths 1,114 ft²
    #4C - 762 Park Place $875,000  
    2 beds•2 baths•976 ft²
    $875,000   2 beds 2 baths 976 ft²

#3A - 762 Park Place $720,000  
    1 bed•1 bath•814 ft² 

...they are approaching the $1000 PSF mark      

$720,000   1 bed 1 bath 814 ft²
  • Signs from the past have been removed. image
  • NO!  That yogomoo sign should have been landmarked!
  • Compass wants people to believe it is worth $1.2 - 1.3 Billion.  http://therealdeal.com/2016/07/12/compass-wants-investors-to-believe-its-worth-1-3b/

...the wooden yogomoo sign had to go.

• In a move that should shock no one, the Beauty Supply store is now toast. http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20293787/796-798-Franklin-Ave-Brooklyn-NY/796
  • Couldn't successfully weave a business model that gelled with the neighborhood and got shellaced in the end
  • I hope no one wigs out.
  • edited June 2017
    Any sense of the money they're asking?
  • edited June 2017
    Looks like they would like $7k a month for the little 600 sq ft one with the arch. https://www.agorafy.com/listing/105311/800-Franklin-Avenue-Retail-for-Lease-Ground 800 Franklin, 798 Franklin, 796 Franklin
  • edited June 2017
    The other one has more street frontage and space (750 sq ft), but they are being coy and stating "negotiable". So, I'd bet they are looking for around $9k a month. If you had a non food use, you might get it for a little less. Seems like a bank of ATMs would be a good fit. http://www.cityfeet.com/cont/forlease/ln20293787/800-franklin-ave-brooklyn-ny-11238
  • edited June 2017
    I did a little snooping today and learned that the corner bodega's lease will be up "soon", which I interpret to mean within 1 year. The space will be able to utilize the front garden area, much like Dunkin Donuts does on the other side of Eastern Parkway. So, the landlord may keep their prices high to see if it is in their best interests to combine all 3 spaces. We could have the makings of a very nice restaurant/bar, with outdoor seating on our hands. Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 9.45.23 PM
  • edited June 2017
    Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 9.50.46 PM air
  • whynot_31 said:
    You'd think he'd at least use the correct spelling of the "neighborhood favorites." Also, Bagel Pub? Whyyy.
  • They seem open to a variety of tenants: "This storefront space would be prefect for any use including any retail usage, office, cafe, bar, restaurant, barber/salon/tattoo shop, etc. Please contact with any questions regarding usage"
  • The line is out the door every Saturday and a Sunday at Bagel Pub. Those bagels are legit. Way better than Nagels.
  • Rick656 said:
    The line is out the door every Saturday and a Sunday at Bagel Pub. Those bagels are legit. Way better than Nagels.
    Their bagels might be good but they also lack competition in the choose-your-own approach to sandwiches, salads, smoothies, and more. Service is consistently terrible and I am pained every time I go and support this badly run business that also overcharges. But, alas, it's the only option for that kind of food in the area, and I always hope that maybe, just maybe, they'll get my order right this time and/or I won't have to wait around for minimum 10 minutes...
  • I wonder if a slightly upscale sandwich chain, like Potbelly, would consider this location. https://www.potbelly.com I would likely patronize it.
  • There doesn't appear to be any plumbing in the store so whoever is going to build it out is going to have to spend big bucks to build bathroom, sinks, etc.
  • Yogo Moo had enough plumbing to create frozen yogurt, and presumably pass a DOH inspection.
  • Marco555 said:
    Rick656 said:
    The line is out the door every Saturday and a Sunday at Bagel Pub. Those bagels are legit. Way better than Nagels.
    Their bagels might be good but they also lack competition in the choose-your-own approach to sandwiches, salads, smoothies, and more. Service is consistently terrible and I am pained every time I go and support this badly run business that also overcharges. But, alas, it's the only option for that kind of food in the area, and I always hope that maybe, just maybe, they'll get my order right this time and/or I won't have to wait around for minimum 10 minutes...
    True - the line is always out the door and it takes for ever if you order anything that has to be cooked. I bet Cocoa grinder will take some of their business since it seems like a pretty similar type of place.
  • edited October 2017
  • Thanks. I always wondered how that place stayed in business when it’s shelves are mostly empty.
  • So, the store basically exists because of lotto tickets, which is basically a regressive tax on the dreams of the moderate and low-income people. Yeesh.
  • If you're wondering how a bodega with limited inventory stays in business you didn't grow up in NYC
  • But also, rent-wise, taste-wise, retail competition-wise, we're not living in the same NYC that many people grew up in
  • jong said:
    If you're wondering how a bodega with limited inventory stays in business you didn't grow up in NYC
    True. Is it just lotto tickets or are there other revenue streams keeping the empty bodegas in business?
  • edited October 2017
    Some diversify into illegal activity. ...others are merely living out leases which don't demand a lot of economic activity. As a result of not adapting to the new customer base, this one won't survive its lease renewal.
This discussion has been closed.