Summer Brain Drain
How to Avoid Your Child's Summer Brain Drain?
Facts about Summer Learning Loss
Summer is here and if you think these lazy, hazy months should be all play and no work, take a gander at the following statistics provided by Ron Fairchild, executive director of the Johns Hopkins University Center for Summer Learning:
• All students experience learning losses when they do not engage in educational activities during the summer.
• On average, students lose approximately 2.6 months of grade level equivalency in mathematical computation skills during the summer months.
• Only approximately 10 percent of students nationwide participate in summer school or attend schools with nontraditional calendars.
• A majority of students (56 percent) want to be involved in a summer program that “helps kids keep up with schoolwork or prepare for the next grade.”
• Research shows that teachers typically spend between 4-6 weeks reteaching material that students have forgotten over the summer. At least 11 percent of children between the ages of 6 and 12 care for themselves over the summer months (unsupervised).
What can you do to prevent learning loss?
What can you do, personally, to help combat summer learning loss with your own kids?
Partially based on FasTracKids and the Enopi learning and development programs, our Summer Camp Program provides lots of fun activities that will keep your kids entertained while preserving and developing their learning skills, which otherwise can be easily neglected during the short summer months.
Last year's Summer Camp was a huge success. As the result, this year, our Summer Camp enrollments have just reached the 50% threshold - and it's not even June yet!
This means, we only have 16 spaces left on average, per week, in our Fun and Educational Summer Camp Program for children 3-10 years old we call "Stop Summer Brain Drain" which starts on July 9th and runs until August 31st.
- We offer affordable weekly/daily rates and flexible half-day, full-day schedule.
- Extended hours available upon request.
- 10% early bird and sibling discounts
Call or email our FasTraKids/Enopi Center Directors for more information about our Summer Camp programs and to book your space before it’s too late.